Dorking covenanter recovery

eddy8men

some friends on facebook have been researching the tanks history. i found what i thought was a blue rectangle stood on end but on closer inspection someone else identified it as a shield, which means the tank belonged to the 13/18th hussar 27 armoured brigade.

27ab.jpg

some friends on facebook have been researching the tanks history. i found what i thought was a blue rectangle stood on end but on closer inspection someone else identified it as a shield, which means the tank belonged to the 13/18th hussar 27 armoured brigade.

Rick, that fits in with the first tank dug up being 79th AD as 27th AB were transferred to them from 9th AD. I wonder if my manual with the 9th AD pamphlet had anything to do with it? A rather large coincidence I think.

congratulations, this unit landed on D-day with Shermans, but presumably trained on these prior. The value of your new toy just went up substantially.

Wiki

The brigade was assigned a crucial role in the Normandy landings . 13/18th Hussars, equipped with M4 Sherman DD amphibious tanks, would accompany the initial assault on Sword Beach by 3rd Division's 8th Brigade group, while the rest of 27th Armoured Bde would support the division's follow-up attacks towards Caen.

now if you can just find Winston Churchill's footprints on there it would be a home run :-\

Winston_Churchill_stands_on_a_Covenanter_tank_of_4th-7th_Royal_Dragoon_Guards%2C_to_take_the_salute_at_an_inspection_of_9th_Armoured_Division_near_Newmarket%2C_Suffolk%2C_16_May_1942._H19765.jpg

Winston Churchill stands on a Covenanter tank of the 4th/7th royal Dragoon Guards to take the salute at an inspection of the 9th Armoured Division near Newmarket Suffolk, 16 May 1942. Also pictured is Major General Brian Horroks , the division commander.

Yes Simon, you are correct.

Elements of 9th AD who used Covenanters were transferred to 79th AD when 9th AD was disbanded (27th Armoured Brigade for example) and so presumably they still had some of their Covenanters on hand to use for training. Speculation unless somebody can come up with more definite proof.

Pretty sure 15/19H were 9 Armd Div before joining 11. They certainly did Normandy to the Baltic in 27 Armd Bde and they certainly spent the mid-war years on Covenanter. Busy at the moment. Will check the Official History 1939-1945 later and get back to you.

If you don't hear from me (I don't get on here as often as I did) PM me and I ought to get an email.

congratulations, this unit landed on D-day with Shermans, but presumably trained on these prior. The value of your new toy just went up substantially.

Wiki

now if you can just find Winston Churchill's footprints on there it would be a home run :-\

Winston_Churchill_stands_on_a_Covenanter_tank_of_4th-7th_Royal_Dragoon_Guards%2C_to_take_the_salute_at_an_inspection_of_9th_Armoured_Division_near_Newmarket%2C_Suffolk%2C_16_May_1942._H19765.jpg

Is it me or is the tank commander a bit small?

Maybe he's on another vehicle behind the Turret?

Heres another Canadian Covenater found whilst researching the Valentine bridge layer for another thread....

covenanter-tanks.jpg

Found here on an entry about "Exercise Spartan" in March 1943..

http://ww2today.com/9th-march-1943-exercise-spartan-tests-d-day-forces-in-britain

we pulled a few loose bits out of the tank as i didn't want to leave them down there so brought them back home. i had a quick bash at a couple of bits today and was pleased with the results. the excellent drainage of the chalk stone has helped to preserve the tin work really well.

this is the striker box for the 2 pdr, even the wooden inserts were in good shape. it was interesting to note the white paint as i wasn't sure of the interior colour before i looked at it more closely.

usually with these thin sheet metal items you have to get the hinges cherry red before you can attempt to free them up but this one just needed a bit of wd40 and a gentle waggle and it came open

IMG_20170611_154922060.jpg

IMG_20170611_160646121_BURST000_COVER.jpg

the drivers hatch rear door had two rams to either lift it or hold it open. i had to take them off to be able to close the drivers hatch to keep people out.

i only had to put a bit of wd40 on them and the rams moved up and down freely. they are operated by air or hydraulic and the cylinders still seemed to work !

IMG_20170611_161720750.jpg

IMG_20170611_161728173.jpg

They're hydraulic Rick, the pump is fitted to the right of the driver's seat and is also used to raise the seat. There is a changeover lever marked seat and hood.

hi Adrian,

Is that a Smiths Jackall pump, similar to that in a Humber armoured car to lift the engine cover? That was an adaption of the motor car jack pump.

• 1 month later...

Rick

Only those couple of wheel sets that I mentioned earlier in this thread. They are supposed to have gone to South Australia to a collector there. I have no idea who or where.

Could be quite an exercise to get them to the UK even if they were located.

Regards

Doug

hi doug

nothing to report. it's still sitting at the side of the exit road to the vineyard. i've been looking for more track and road wheels. if anybody knows of any covenanter bits please let me know

• 1 month later...

Rick knows my views on this sensationalized TV trash!!

It's a load of crock making out SUGGS HIMSELF found the tanks NEVER SEEN BEFORE etc.

They did the same at Woodhall Spa in July doing an Arnhem piece. Telling guys to get ready for filming at 0630 and not turning up til 1000 and shouting the odds!!>:(

• 4 weeks later...