Land Rover 90 and TUL Wolf Piggyback vehicles

robin craig

From what I have seen there were two different builds, a 2.5 na 90 and then a Wolf or TUL version.

While I understand the concept of dropping two vehicles into a drop zone on an airdrop pallet how were they meant to be un-stowed once on the ground. Surely a drop zone for the airborne troops would not have cranes to lift it off. What was the plan there?

Just curious as I have not seen anything mentioned about that crucial step

The piggyback modified vehicles have cutaway rear body sections so that ramps can be fitted and the mating ritual involves one Landie being driven on top of the lower one on the pallet. On the ground, the upper vehicle is then just driven off the lower. There is an article on this, with photos, in 'Land Rover Military Portfolio' by none other than Bob Morrisoon.

Found a photo that shows the arrangement.......

549a1y.jpg

Edited by matchlesswdg3

I don't think there was a Wolf Piggyback (stackable)

Uninitiated / forgetful on LR's that I have little interest ,,

ISTR that they were few in number , Solihull + others (Ricardo ? ) involved in design(s) that evolved , effectively progressive , so more or less Mk.1 . 2 + 3

Piggyback , Fastball 90 , some final conversion to Para. 'recce' Pathfinder

From what I have seen there were two different builds, a 2.5 na 90 and then a Wolf or TUL version.

While I understand the concept of dropping two vehicles into a drop zone on an airdrop pallet how were they meant to be un-stowed once on the ground. Surely a drop zone for the airborne troops would not have cranes to lift it off. What was the plan there?

Just curious as I have not seen anything mentioned about that crucial step

MSP's would only be used as a last resort , out of helicopter range or not even a landing field of foreign ELG status sufficiently near to intended target

First crucial step was to get them off the tailgate , + discharge a few extra to account for anticipated losses

Situation 10 years ago :-

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-289906.html