War and Peace back at the Hop Farm !!

Meekumslr

My ancsestors were, why do you think Jersey owns England! :trustme: Anyway I thought you went via the River Medway? Off track a bit do you know the origin of the The Royal and Dutch navies Church Pennants? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennant_(church)

Just another odd bit http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/The-335-Year-War-the-Longest-War-in-History/

I love this forum simple questions go off in all sorts of ways. The Thunder Box and it's place in English History, including the excecution of Charles the First is a whole history in itself.

Edited by Tony B

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My ancsestors were, why do you think Jersey owns England! :trustme: Anyway I thought you went via the River Medway? Off track a bit do you know the origin of the The Royal and Dutch navies Church Pennants? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennant_(church)

Just another odd bit http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/The-335-Year-War-the-Longest-War-in-History/

I love this forum simple questions go off in all sorts of ways. The Thunder Box and it's place in English History, including the excecution of Charles the First is a whole history in itself.

Didn't know about the pennant but I do remember the 1985 thing when I read it somewhere that same year.

You brits were so lucky you surrendered to us in 1986 before we started bombarded you with wooden shoes...

What can I say, the Dutch were the scourge of the high seas...:-D

If it was at Hastings - my ancestors were there in 1066 :)

If we want to be really authentic the Hop farm dunnies should look like this !

Well I actually have something similar in the shed.

Its a wooden one man...Uhm, "deposit box":-D.

You open the lid, open a door on the front, insert a bucket and fire away...

And IIRC its genuine military modern-ish.

Yes Sir! Sorry Sir. :writing:

Though the one thing that I do miss about going to W&P is the variety of people from so many places.

Maybe the move back to the Hop Farm will bring them back Tony. We can but hope :-)

I must admit - right now I am curious to see if they intend following through with the plans for living history to be a time line starting at WW1 and working up to Cold War and if so - how they are going to implement it in the confines of what was the living history field at the Hop Farm. Time will tell.

In my observations in the "living History Field" some of it was not living history at all .

It was more of a convenient place to camp near the center of the site, a vehicle and a caravan with a cam net chucked over it or a couple of bivvy tents with a few bits scattered on the floor is not living history.

Maybe the move back to the Hop Farm will bring them back Tony. We can but hope :-)

I must admit - right now I am curious to see if they intend following through with the plans for living history to be a time line starting at WW1 and working up to Cold War and if so - how they are going to implement it in the confines of what was the living history field at the Hop Farm. Time will tell.

Neil, just my thoughts on this, but. If they move the L/H section into America's field. There is a lot more room there. & keep the 'Old' L/H section for more vehicles. I feel this might be a better option perhaps?....:-)

In my observations in the "living History Field" some of it was not living history at all .

It was more of a convenient place to camp near the center of the site, a vehicle and a caravan with a cam net chucked over it or a couple of bivvy tents with a few bits scattered on the floor is not living history.

That was always a bone of contention for Greg, the marshal for that area. Unfortunately until whoever booked the pitch turned up there is no way of knowing what they are doing. LH at the racecourse was a bit better for this. so hopefully that will continue after the relocation.

Neil, just my thoughts on this, but. If they move the L/H section into America's field. There is a lot more room there. & keep the 'Old' L/H section for more vehicles. I feel this might be a better option perhaps?....:-)

Certainly a workable idea Mike. Until we see the site plan its all speculation - it is known however that the organizer has been in touch with the Historic Commercial clubs to try and get more civilian HGV's, buses and coaches there from this year on. Maybe they would go where LH used to be - although the bus owners I know would freak at the amount of dust thrown up by tracked armour entering the arena!! :) :)

If it was up to me I'd not put the German Living History guys just behind the bank that surrounds the arena, as its no good for photos with too much human clutter in the back ground. This area they should use for Trade Stands so that when the 'Warmington-on-Sea under 5's school band' or similar have their turn in the area, I can go and look round the stalls for some extra kit and be back in a moment when something interesting is occurring!

Incidentally I'd also like the German Living History pitch (wherever they end up) to be a bit more accessible to the public! Plus don't look so miserable!