Differential carrier austin k9

Hi Folks ,

I thank You in advance for having the chance to be in this Military Forum.

I work in an italian family business which operates in the field of self-propelled cranes.

I'm writing to You , because our old models of cranes were equipped with a british differential gear .

This item is part of an old Austin Truck called K9 .

Does anyone of You can help me to find it?For example any company (used spare part truck or salvage)?

I remain at Your disposal for any further information.

Best Regards

Marco

Marco,

Austin K9s are quite commonplace but there are not as many scrap ones around as there used to be.

Is it the differential itself or the housing you need?

I may have one, I will have to look. I know I have some axles but I don't know how many and I would like to keep spares for our K9s.

I'd be interested to see photos of your cranes if you have any.

Hi Mr. Sean N.

I thank You in advance for the cooperation.

As attachments , You'll find the file (.pdf) where there are the pictures about the differential carrier that we are looking for.

I'd be interested to the entire differential carrier , not to the whole rear axle.

Otherwise, if there was the chance, I'd accept only the crown wheel and the pinion , since these are the items that are the most subject to the mechanical wear.

P.S. That's the model of crane where there's the differential carrier (AUSTIN K9)

Best Regards

P75 M.jpg

OLD BRITISH DIFFERENTIAL CARRIER.pdf

Hello Marco,

These are Austin, definitely, you can tell by the part numbers e.g. 11K7384, 1K7013. However I do not think they are K9 as the design is not the same. The K9 differential carrier is angled, so the gasket face is at 45 degrees to the axis of the pinion shaft, and the pinion shaft enters the housing very near to one edge, not centrally as this one.

I also can't get the part numbers to match K9 parts, and I'd have to check, but I don't remember K9 parts being MOWOG branded as these are - that happened some time after the merger with Morris.

I think these differentials are from a later Austin truck, possibly the Series 3 but more likely something BMC built from the 1960s like the WE, WF, FE, FF, FG, FH, FJ or even the Leyland Terrier; and probably the heavier weight models as I seem to remember the smaller trucks had Morris style axles.

Hi Mr. Sean N.

I thank You very much for your quick reply and the enquiries about the history of this differential.

I think, for us, it's becoming a sort of mystery.

Our supplier has never mentioned the real brand of the differential , he's just told us that it's running out and so , just to try to solve the problem we tried to get it directly in England.

Some dealer of salvage/scrap told us that it's a BMC Austin K9 , but we don't know anymore.

Now during the last sale , I got back the damaged differential and I replaced the crown wheel and the pinion so that I can have one differential as spare part.

Since you told us that it could belong to others Austin Truck models, I noticed that on the "new" crown wheel there are not the same codes that there were on the damaged one.

As attachment, You'll find what I have just written before.

Best Regards

Marco

OLD DAMAGED CROWN WHEEL AND PINION.pdf

Marco,

I'm not clear; are you building these cranes, or just operating and maintaining them? If you are building them, it might be time for a redesign as these are now very old parts!

A possible reason there are two numbers engraved on one of the crownwheels is that they were sold as a pair with the pinion, usually under a collective part number for both parts; for example, the part number for a K9 CWP pair is K2-430.

I notice that both new and old have 1K7013 on, and that the ratio is 7/41, which is the correct ratio for a K9; so it may be that a K9 CWP will fit your existing housings. However, as you know it's possible to have the same ratio and yet be totally different parts. Do you have any dimensions?

It would also be interesting to know your supplier's involvement and where he is (or was) sourcing parts from - presumably he has none and can't get any now?

It might be worth talking to BMC Trucks in Turkey, who used to make Austin / Morris / BMC trucks under licence. It's possible they made these axles much more recently and may have more information.

The next time I am at the workshop I will look to see what K9 differentials I have.

Hi Mr. Sean N. ,

I thank You for Your quick reply and Your interesting.

These differentials were part of old cranes that were sold in the 70's and 80's but a lot of these cranes are still working,

and since the reasonable difficulties about the availability , the issue is to have some as spare parts.

That's why we try to find some directly in England , also because our supplier is an old man and his firm is over.

My/our intention is to identify the right brand and model of truck just to give the right informations in case of making a request.

Unfortunately , my knowledge about the british truck/lorry is not so big.

About the dimensions,no problem : ask me the dimension that you require and I'll give you.

Thank You in advance for your cooperation.

Best Regards

Marco

• 2 years later...