Scorpion/Scimitar Restoration in New Zealand

philm1

I second Chris' comment. At the VW meet at Hessich (sp?) in Germany last week there was a VW Combie Ice Cream van that had been restored and the wheel fell off. The owner had painted the underside of the wheel bolts and the hole chamfer in the wheels where the bolts snug down. When the paint failed under dynamic load, the bolts came loose, the chamfer holes wallied out and the

wheel went its own way.

Embarrassing at best, dangerous at worst.

Regards

Doug

Thanks for the heads up. Might clean off some of the mating surfaces as you suggest,

Phil

You can always go around with a paint brush afterwards and touch up any visible bare metal. A bit of use and some dust and nobody will ever notice.

Tank wheels are notorious for coming loose, no doubt due to side loads from turning at speed. Given that almost nobody seems to drive a CVRT sedately.........

I don't know about CVRT but IIRC M113 wheel nuts are all nyloc to make extra sure they stay done up. So the last thing you want under your wheel nuts is something that can wiggle out and leave the wheels loose.

Again I can't speak for CVRT, but do check the specification of the sprocket carrier to drive flange bolts. On M113 these are something special and a use once item. Doubtless there is a history there and a reason they did that.

Regards

Doug

Phil

You can always go around with a paint brush afterwards and touch up any visible bare metal. A bit of use and some dust and nobody will ever notice.

Tank wheels are notorious for coming loose, no doubt due to side loads from turning at speed. Given that almost nobody seems to drive a CVRT sedately.........

I don't know about CVRT but IIRC M113 wheel nuts are all nyloc to make extra sure they stay done up. So the last thing you want under your wheel nuts is something that can wiggle out and leave the wheels loose.

Again I can't speak for CVRT, but do check the specification of the sprocket carrier to drive flange bolts. On M113 these are something special and a use once item. Doubtless there is a history there and a reason they did that.

Regards

Doug

Reminded of something I read many years ago. The Churchill servicing schedule said to put ¼ turn on the wheel nuts to make sure they were tight. Over the Channel, into combat, first time they were put under extreme load, a lot of Churchill roadwheels fell off.

On Scorpion, we were issued with a torque wrench.

Nuts, lovely new nuts. Cheap enough and as people suggest not worth the hassle of reusing old ones. We will also torque the road wheels up to the recommended 70lbf ft as the manual states.

SAM_2525.jpg

• 1 month later...

Gosh, over a month since I posted something. Not that we haven't been doing anything more not much visable progress.

Have cleaned back the distribution box and the terminal leads and that is all fitted back in. Now just need a replacement dash panel to wire everything up.

SAM_2613.jpg

SAM_2614.jpg

SAM_2556.jpg

SAM_2557.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just read this entire thread. Impressive work and commitment. Hope to see final product tearing up the fields!

Thanks, Slow going but we try and do a bit each week. Now that summer is approaching the workshop is much more pleasant. Also waiting for some bits and pieces from the UK.

Edited by philm1

Isn't the one aft for an ammo box for the co-ax MG?

That's what I thought as there are 2 other similar ones. the strapping arrangements have me confused. I'll research some photos. How's your rebuild going?

That's what I thought as there are 2 other similar ones. the strapping arrangements have me confused. I'll research some photos. How's your rebuild going?

Mine sort of stalled out after I bought a big AC TIG and correct filler rod but I couldn't find the correct plate alloy to repair the rear sponson.

Then in rapid succession my uncle died, I quit my job, moved house, moved my parents, rolled my Jeep, bought a crane truck, found that my landlords are planning to sell the building my shop is in, found a new building,... it's been busy. In any case, I'm pretty booked until spring with buying and selling some property and prepping the new shop, after that it will be time to get serious about the armor again.

Really looking forward to owning my building cutting down on nagging from the landlords and artist neighbors who seem allergic to anything in olive drab.

Or I might just be stalling until you have finished the picture book for a complete restoration! :-)

Nice work, I've been wanting to do the big stuff but it's good to remember that all those little brackets and fittings need doing too.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:41 PM, teletech said:

Mine sort of stalled out after I bought a big AC TIG and correct filler rod but I couldn't find the correct plate alloy to repair the rear sponson.

Then in rapid succession my uncle died, I quit my job, moved house, moved my parents, rolled my Jeep, bought a crane truck, found that my landlords are planning to sell the building my shop is in, found a new building,... it's been busy. In any case, I'm pretty booked until spring with buying and selling some property and prepping the new shop, after that it will be time to get serious about the armor again.

Really looking forward to owning my building cutting down on nagging from the landlords and artist neighbors who seem allergic to anything in olive drab.

Or I might just be stalling until you have finished the picture book for a complete restoration! :-)

Nice work, I've been wanting to do the big stuff but it's good to remember that all those little brackets and fittings need doing too.

Sounds like you have been extremely busy.  Still coming to grips with HMVF's new site format so may take some thinking before I can up load more photos.  We still have plenty to do and sourcing more bits out from the UK (silly little hand brake springs and the like) but all going well may have the gearbox and engine in for Xmas.  Off for a 2hr trip up the road to a military vehicle group meet today and hopefully a drive of a couple of Scorps.

• 2 weeks later...