633 Squadron

matchlesswdg3

I remember on at least two occasions whilst working at the RAFM we had a chap come in looking for his old squadron badge which just so happened to be 633 sqn.

Thought there never was a real 633 squadron? Or are you suggesting the old chap wasn't entirely compos mentis?

Hardly call Ducky a leftover!! That might be his current incarnation, but he has been previously known as Lt Cmdr Ashley Pitt RN (The Great Escape). Flt Lt Carter RAF (Colditz), and a Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Have David McCallum / Ilya Kuryakin become he who must not be named?

Thought there never was a real 633 squadron? Or are you suggesting the old chap wasn't entirely compos mentis?

You're right Sean and on one occasion it was brought to his attention, I thought he was going to go pop!

Far be it from me to insult a Childhood Hero! :wow:, (Though I did want to be Napoleon Solo, much more suave) I meant the sweepings of the cutting room floor, used in other films. Anyway I thought Lucas is supposed to have got inspiration from the 1968 film Battle of Britain?

The inspiration for the 1968 Battle of Britain film as credited in the titles came from the book by Derek Wood and Derek Dempster the Narrow Margin published a few years earlier and subsequently republished

• 4 months later...
MODS is there a possibility of splitting this topic off into a new thread?

Huntington Aircraft or similar?

I had words with the current Huntington Service station owner this morning.

Mentioned about the Helicopters.

He said after racking his brain for an hour or two that there was another garage that I had forgotten about on New Lane midway between Malton Rd and Jockey lane that was more 2nd hand car sales. There were 2 helicopters at the back of the building and he thinks they were removed mid 70s and went to Tockwith. This site on new lane has now been built on with new housing.

He was going to ask someone else about the Mosquito

I have finally found more about the Huntingdon Mosquito! It is the one that Tony Agar did an amazing job recreating, I have just found the website mossie.org and it mentions Tony collecting the fuselage from Boreham where 633 squadron was filmed and bringing it back to Huntington. This is the Mosquito that was at the Yorkshire Air Museum, Although I understand that it may be moving to The Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre.

I think you might have mixed it up with "The Flight of the Phoenix" where the assembled plane crashed ( accidentally ... ) at the end of the filming and killed the unfortunate pilot, who was then the subject of a dedication in the credits.