BSA Para Bike & BSA War Time Finish Bicycles

Ian L

A few years back I bought a BSA Para bike which was all original but in a poor state so I had everything shot blasted & then painted in Brown (right or wrong ?) to match the 1942 RAF AM Air Ministry light which I have fitted to it because 3 of my vehicles are RAF.

Its stood in my spare room for years but I might get round to assembling it while I'm off :-D

DSC06220.jpg

DSC06221.jpg

DSC06222.jpg

DSC06223.jpg

DSC06224.jpg

DSC06228.jpg

DSC06229.jpg

DSC06230.jpg

DSC06231.jpg

DSC06232.jpg

DSC06233.jpg

DSC06234.jpg

DSC06235.jpg

DSC06237.jpg

Next bike I bought was a 'brand new' Ladies 'War Time Finish' bought at an auction after it was found in a house loft of a deceased estate.

Same wheels, handle bar grips, War Grade tyres, & other parts as the Para bike which is why I suspect not many survive, note the wooden pedals which are like new & unworn.

DSC06238.jpg

DSC06239.jpg

DSC06240.jpg

DSC06241.jpg

DSC06242.jpg

DSC06243.jpg

DSC06245.jpg

DSC06246.jpg

DSC06247.jpg

DSC06248.jpg

DSC06249.jpg

Edited by Ian L

Next one I found was a mans 'War time Finish' in used condition but complete.

It also uses the same Wheels, Tyres, Brakes, Cables, Handle Bar, Levers & 40 model Saddle as the Para Bike which is why this is the only one I've found so far.

The bike is complete & awaiting assembly, this bike also has wooden pedals.

DSC06270.jpg

DSC06271.jpg

DSC06272.jpg

Last one for now is a Ladies Rod Brake BSA / Hercules ? 'safety model' identical in every respect to the BSA but badged Hercules, were they the same company & was this badge engineering like 'Austin & Morris' ?

At the moment its missing the correct front wheel but I have one on its way from Brighton ;)

DSC06258.jpg

DSC06259.jpg

DSC06260.jpg

DSC06261.jpg

DSC06262.jpg

DSC06263.jpg

DSC06264.jpg

DSC06265.jpg

DSC06266.jpg

DSC06267.jpg

DSC06269.jpg

DSC06268.jpg

My main interest is in motorcycles but this thread has excited me, some very nice original cycles Ian. I now have a new interest.

Steve

Hi Steve thanks for thumbs up :thumbsup: if your really interested PM me your email address & contact number & when one comes up in your neck of the woods I will give you the nod.

I've turned quite a few down as the sellers wont post or let me a arrange a courier & its too far to bother driving. Regards Ian

VERY nice selection of bicycles! I like the look of Parabikes, & have owned three over the years. However, they LOOK very nice. But they are most uncomfortable to ride I found! If you have to turn the handlebars a bit wider than the 'Norm'. Your feet foul the front wheel I discovered! HARD work cross country with only one crank tooth set available as well! :-D

There is no mention of these bikes or frame numbers anywhere as far as my investigation has found.

This is the BSA frame dating from the old bike museum which lists only para bikes.

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1930s/1939-2/1939-bsa-opperman-gold-special-model-985/bsa-frame-serial-numbers-dating/

Have you tried this forum for help with dating the frames?

http://thecabe.com/forum/

• 3 weeks later...

Saved another Men's BSA 'War Time Finish' bike yesterday in fantastic original condition plus period dynamo lighting & war grade tyres (seller fitted the modern saddle)

From my research this is early WW2 as it has rubber pedals & a lovely BSA headstock badge, later in the war they went to a BSA decal on the headstock & wooden pedals.

The reason these men's bikes are so rare is they are broken up for parts as the tyres, wheels, rear sprocket, brake levers, cables, handle bars grips & saddle are the same as the Para Bike.

DSC06668.jpg

DSC06669.jpg

DSC06670.jpg

DSC06671.jpg

DSC06672.jpg

DSC06673.jpg

DSC06674.jpg