WW2 British 10cwt GS Trailer

Ian L

A few years back I picked up 3 British WW2 10cwt trailers, a Mk1 GS, MK2 GS & a Mortar & ammunition trailer all in the same weekend.

Well yesterday I sold the Mk 1 GS & the Mortar & Ammunition trailer is in storage but as I'm off work with a back injury & cant get over to my workshop and progress with other restorations I decided to dig out the MK2 GS at Jane's house & make a start on it. :cool2:

003.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Edited by Ian L

Saturday morning, damaged wheel arch's removed and a replacement hitch fitted as the origional hitch had been bolted underneath the drawbar to get the hitch height down but was smashed beyond repair where the tow vehicle had turned to tightly.

Wheel arch brackets will need cutting off & reshaping before welding back on.

DSC06152.jpg

DSC06153.jpg

DSC06154.jpg

DSC06155.jpg

DSC06156.jpg

DSC06157.jpg

DSC06158.jpg

DSC06159.jpg

DSC06160.jpg

Edited by Ian L

Sunday, started replacing the damaged wood with new pieces of ash.

Once all the woodwork is finished I will strip the trailer down completely & take the chassis, axle etc for shot blasting.

On ebay this evening looking for Whitworth coach bolts & square nuts, I have managed to save 90% of the original nuts but very few of the bolts.

DSC06211.jpg

DSC06212.jpg

DSC06213.jpg

DSC06214.jpg

DSC06215.jpg

DSC06216.jpg

Hi Ian

Lots of good original parts on this one. Interesting to see where the side lights had been fitted, as that possibly explains what those vertical steel straps were originally designed for.

The trailer was built by Reliance (who had contract this S4833 for 10cwt G/S trailers).

Believe that X numbers between 5443370 and 5443469.

I have a spare set of trailer wings in very good condition, if you are interested.

Hi Ian

Lots of good original parts on this one. Interesting to see where the side lights had been fitted, as that possibly explains what those vertical steel straps were originally designed for.

The trailer was built by Reliance (who had contract this S4833 for 10cwt G/S trailers).

I have a spare set of trailer wings in very good condition, if you are interested.

Nice thought John but if you look under the mortar trailer the three vertical strips/brackets are at 90 degrees to Ian's ones and so would never be of use to hold the light brackets.

Ian

i have the dimensions for the woodwork and ironwork for the front toolbox if required-scaled from photos and known dimensions. The ironwork for the box will require some cutting and welding of proprietary hinges and hasps. You pointed me in the right direction with regard to the padlock turnbuckle. It is the same Land Rover part as used on the bowser's box.

Replacement chain can be obtained from B&Q. If you are missing any of the tie down hooks, my local smithy made me more than required for my own restoration.

I also have a drawing for the canvas.

Tony

The use of those three brackets remains as elusive as ever. The same basic chassis was used for GS mortar and DF trailers so I wonder if it was for something on the DF trailer. I even wondered if they were for wooden rollers to wheel them round the factory.

sk

Ian

i have the dimensions for the woodwork and ironwork for the front toolbox if required-scaled from photos and known dimensions. The ironwork for the box will require some cutting and welding of proprietary hinges and hasps. You pointed me in the right direction with regard to the padlock turnbuckle. It is the same Land Rover part as used on the bowser's box.

I also have a drawing for the canvas.

sk

Hi Simon I was thinking of getting on with the tool box as its a nice indoor job, if you could post / PM or email it to me that would be great.

Also drawing for the canvas please as that's another small job I can tick off the list.

Regards Ian

Hi Simon I was thinking of getting on with the tool box as its a nice indoor job, if you could post / PM or email it to me that would be great.

Also drawing for the canvas please as that's another small job I can tick off the list.

Regards Ian

Ian,

pm me with your e-mail address

Hi Ian

Hi John thanks for the offer but they are still available new on the internet, same width, same cross profile but about 2cms longer in the circumference which I may or may not bother to trim off.

P.S. how many trailers does one need ? I think you asked a little while ago.;)

P.S. I'm picking up 2 more in the next week. :cool2:

DSC06287.jpg

DSC06288.jpg

Edited by Ian L

Hi Ian

Hi John I picked up this data plate a few years ago & almost going to do a swop as this one has the X number on it.

Question #1 why has the original data plate not got the X number.

Question #2 what can you tell me about this data plate.

DSC06283.jpg

DSC06284.jpg

DSC06285.jpg

DSC06286.jpg

New support legs made, I used tube with much thicker side wall as they bend so easily & get jammed in the clamps.

The round tops were turned down by my mate Scott & he made them an interference fit so they were just tapped in hard & welded a couple of discs on the bases.

DSC06289.jpg

DSC06290.jpg

DSC06291.jpg

X was the wartime prefix for trailers all types

Hi Wally yes I'm aware of the X but why has one data plate got it & not the other, all of my other trailers (and I have a few :cool2:) have X number data plates but not this one.

The Chilwell List suggests that dataplate is very late war - manufactured by Taskers of Andover. Interesting that it says "chassis" not trailer - possibly an lightweight water bowser?

Water Bowser now let me think :undecided: there's someone on the forum that likes them :cool2:

• 1 month later...

Knocked up the tool box today thanks to Simons detailed drawings :tup:: I decided to glue & join it together with copper tacks so that the seems don't open up although I know this is wrong.

It will have the internal 'L' brackets & coach bolts added later for effect & originally.

DSC06791.jpg

DSC06792.jpg

DSC06793.jpg

DSC06794.jpg

DSC06795.jpg

DSC06796.jpg

DSC06797.jpg

DSC06798.jpg