Historic Military Vehicle security

Bigjohn

Question

13 answers to this question

What is the best way to secure a vehicle that doesn't have an ignition key (or windows!)and has an easily accessible wiring loom?

ls some kind of mechanical lock the way to go? If so, what do folks suggest?

A partial solution I used on a Jeep is a clamp around the gearstick while in reverse parked up against a wall or such.

IIRC you can put it in neutral through via the high/low stick though.

If its petrol there is the old stand-by of removing the rotor arm.

If it's possible to do so - fit a concealed battery isolator so that even if they bring a rotor arm with them they will (a) need to find the isolator and (b) have the key that fits it.

Again if possible - put the vehicle on axle stands and put the wheels and the nuts in a secure lockable storage.

Remove the steering wheel if fitted and keep that in doors.

Clamps/locks like wheel clamps and steering wheel clamps have a visual deterrent to the casual thief but it's been proven in tests that a determined thief can get through them in a few minutes.

I've fitted these to the batteries. It won't stop someone who is determined and after your specific vehicle, but should stop the causal chancer / joyrider. Nic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-Master-Isolator-Cut-Off-Kill-Switch-Universal-CAR-BOAT-VAN-TRUCK-/170876170070?hash=item27c9036f56:g:XSEAAOSw3ydVhCtG

Battery Master Isolator Cut Off Kill Switch

One I've used for years on Landrovers is.......a good quality heavy duty chain for locking up a motorbike......and an equally good quality padlock..............when you park the truck up , turn the wheels in full lock one way or the other preferably against a wall...........wind the chain through and around a spoke of the steering wheel and down around the clutch pedal as tight as you can get it to be ..stick the padlock through the links of the chain joing it together and bobs yer uncle.......... without removing it , a thief can't turn the steering wheel to roll it off your drive and they can't dip the clutch to drive it either......also you can concrete in a suitably hefty mooring type steel ring to your drive and wind another similar chain around an axle and through the ring...

I always relied on the 'visual' aspect of security as much as anything else....I work on the theory that any would be thief would look at one of my vehicles and think to himself " oh bugger that , it;s gonna take at least half an hour to get all those chains and locks off.....I'll go and look somewhere else....." ........

and hopefully if they did start trying to snaggle the chains off?.... my dog gang is going to be making some kinda noise barking and a hollering and a snapping and a snarling ..........and I'm gonna be on the way down the stairs with my pick handle at the ready :)

Parking on the side of the road, I've fitted an simple keyed ignition switch in the ignition circuit.

if left for longer periods I remove the steering wheel

if longer still, I remove the rotor arm, battery, and sometimes one or two the wheels to be stored elsewhere

Parking on the side of the road, I've fitted an simple keyed ignition switch in the ignition circuit.

if left for longer periods I remove the steering wheel

if longer still, I remove the rotor arm, battery, and sometimes one or two the wheels to be stored elsewhere

Some parts of Essex you will get the wheels removed for you if you leave it too long!

What is the best way to secure a vehicle that doesn't have an ignition key (or windows!)and has an easily accessible wiring loom?

ls some kind of mechanical lock the way to go? If so, what do folks suggest?

ManyyearsagowhenIranaChampIusedaCrooklock.Thishookedaroundthesteeringwheelandclutchpedalandhadareasonablysecurelockwithkey.Itwasquickandeasytousebutwasagreatvisualdeterrent.Idontknowiftheyarestillavailable.Theycouldbeforcedasmostsecuritydevicescanbebutwasstrongehoughtodeterthecasualthief.

Doug

ManyyearsagowhenIranaChampIusedaCrooklock.Thishookedaroundthesteeringwheelandclutchpedalandhadareasonablysecurelockwithkey.Itwasquickandeasytousebutwasagreatvisualdeterrent.Idontknowiftheyarestillavailable.Theycouldbeforcedasmostsecuritydevicescanbebutwasstrongehoughtodeterthecasualthief.

Doug

What. lol

Doug

No 'space' key on your keyboard? ;-)

No 'space' key on your keyboard? ;-)

Probably not his fault,exactly the same thing is happening in this reply and has happened to me previously.I have had to go back through the post and re-space it,this happens intermittently but only on HMVF.