Tigers

Ron

I already put this on MLU, but worth putting here just the same:-

A friend and I spent a day at the Tank Museum (Bovington) over Christmas. We got to see the Tiger display that is currently under construction, featuring all the models (except one!). The missing model is the 'Sturmtiger' and I think the only surviving example is in the Museum at Munster. The museum themselves have stated that they are willing to lend it to the Bovy display, but it seems that the trust which actually owns it are not so willing.

It turns out that Bovy actually owned one in 1948, but cut it up, but still have the barrel. Which has always been on display. (Strange fat short thing that was designed for some sort of missile launch). If they can't borrow the Munster tank, the plan is to make a hologram of the Sturmtiger utilising their original barrel.

As widely publicised the 'Elefant Tiger' has been loaned from the Aberdeen proving grounds in USA at a cost of 80 Grand for shipping, part of which has been sponsored by the computer gaming company "Tank World".....Of which I know nothing! It's positioned next to Bovy's own Tiger 1.

Unfortunately my photography skills are lacking, but here is a flavour, plus a pic of the Munster Sturmtiger. Ron

048.jpg

Panzer_Museum_ Munster_2011_24.jpg

As widely publicised the 'Elefant Tiger' has been loaned from the Aberdeen proving grounds in USA at a cost of 80 Grand for shipping, part of which has been sponsored by the computer gaming company "Tank World".....Of which I know nothing!

Ron

Just a slight correction Ron, but the computer game in question is 'World of Tanks' (which is really quite good, if you like that sort of thing :) ) - they seem to have quite a healthy relationship with The Tank Museum & have also supported several other museums & armour projects around the world, I believe. There was even talk of them paying for the restoration to working condition of the Maus at Kubinka, but things have gone very quite about that since the initial announcement...

Kevin

Yes it is correct that Kubinka as a Sturm Tiger as well.

a full list of the surviving Tigers, and a lot of other tank types can be found on this very nice page http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Tigers.pdf

World of tanks can be a very entertaining game, not the most realistic but I do enjoy a match every now an then. The developers of it has been very active in supporting and advertising the game around numerous museums.

It seem that a number of the rare German tanks and parts ended up in the UK after 2 WW, but ended their days as hard targets or scrap, e.g. The E100 hull, Panther Schmalturm, and I think one of the VK prototypes (but I can not find the documentation)

Edited by Niels v

Just a slight correction Ron, but the computer game in question is 'World of Tanks' (which is really quite good, if you like that sort of thing :) ) - they seem to have quite a healthy relationship with The Tank Museum & have also supported several other museums & armour projects around the world, I believe. There was even talk of them paying for the restoration to working condition of the Maus at Kubinka, but things have gone very quite about that since the initial announcement...

Kevin

World of tanks also sponsored las Armor and embarkation.

It would have been nice to have the Sturmtiger at the Tank museum as well.

Aren't the Russians planning to restore the Maus themselves?

My apologies for miss naming that computer game. As I said I know nothing about it, but I've heard there is an improved game? Also thanks for the heads up on the other remaining Tigers...... I only have a passing interest in the subject as I don't own one Ha Ha! But I have a long standing association with Bovy and it's right on my doorstep. Ron

Yes indeed, You can walk up to and around each tank, touch and feel but not climb on. I gather that the Elefant had been parked outside at the Aberdeen proving grounds but was taken indoors for a re-paint and then parked outside again, and it's a non runner.

I also understand that the facility is closing or maybe already has closed, which could be one good reason why they were happy to lend out the Tiger especially with the knowledge that it's in a much nicer environment. Ron

Aren't the Russians planning to restore the Maus themselves?
I haven't heard anything about that but the new exhibit hall (with a roof that doesn't leak) is pretty nice :-)

I also understand that the facility is closing or maybe already has closed, which could be one good reason why they were happy to lend out the Tiger especially with the knowledge that it's in a much nicer environment. Ron
this is where it all is now , land acquired in 2013 and then? I don't really understand it to be honest, the vehicles are presumably national relics, yet the foundation is private, but the army is contributing some people? the storage building looks like it's from the civil war, but at least everything appears to at least have a roof over it.

http://www.armorcavalryheritagefoundation.org/

Last I had heard, the armor collection was consolidated and moved from Aberdeen Proving Grounds to a new facility at Fort Lee Virginia. I had been at Aberdeen with my brother in law just after the elephant had been repainted and all and this was what we were told at that time.

My apologies for miss naming that computer game. As I said I know nothing about it, but I've heard there is an improved game? Also thanks for the heads up on the other remaining Tigers...... I only have a passing interest in the subject as I don't own one Ha Ha! But I have a long standing association with Bovy and it's right on my doorstep. Ron

Blimey Ron ...It must be cold in the garage...Velo gear changes and now Tigers ????? Where are you going to put one ??? Don't tell me.... you have acquired more of the neighbours gardens !!!!

Andy

:-)

Hi Andy. Well I've lived here since 'Octember the dirty word nineteen filthy lie' and always wanted one of those Bedford OX artics. As you know the rear access lane is a bit narrow, so I go out in the middle of the night once a year and move all the neighbours fences over 1/2". I reckon by the time I'm 90, I should be able to get it round the back. Just got to figure out how to turn it round.

Ron

The Elefant's repaint was featured in an episode of "Tank Overhaul" on Discovery, if I recall correctly. A shame they didn't get it running, but even the Germans had trouble with that!

Andy

Yes Andy. I gather the engine hasn't run since the war or just after. I guess it will need more than fresh petrol and a rub between the points with a nail file, Ha Ha! Ron

The Elefant was captured in Italy, I don't believe it has run whilst in American hands. The Maus at Kubinka, is a combination of the hull from the first prototype & the turret from the second. It is an empty shell. The authorities at Kubinka were considering restoring it, but decided it would be an impossibility.

• 2 weeks later...