War and peace 2017 ?

Alan

When are the trade stalls normally up and running? I have normally arrived the night the show opens, but this year with the show during the summer holidays and being able to get their earlier will I be able to get my hands on any bargains before Joe public has general access? Or is it the case most stalls don't open until the first day ?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's strange how the hype has died down the last few years, I suppose with no one having arrived on site yet, there's little to say. I can tell you having been past there numerous time in the past few days on my way to work ( I could walk from my house to the hop farm !) that the perimeter security fencing is in, the two ww2 raf planes arrived on Monday and were out in the main car park (since moved into the grounds but not yet set up) and marquees where going up tonight and the first bits of the fun fair have arrived.

Hi

Arrived yesterday. Easy to book in ( they just scan your ticket, so don't forget to print off your passes.

A few vehicles, loads of pitches marked up by groups. Rows A-D

of the trade stands starting to fill up.

According to the programme nearly all of the trade stands on the map have been taken.

A large delivery of showers arrived, loos are a bit sparse at the moment.

We will see how today pans out. Anyway looking forward to the week

cheers

Richard

Re selling stuff on your campsite, it seems sense has prevailed and I found this clarification on another site......(pity they fid mot say this in the first place!)

"Thanks for the email, this selling is for the full blown stalls in the military vehicle area, absolutely agree people selling the odd bits and pieces is fine and a great part of the show.

But it is unfair on the traders for those that are excessively selling.

Kind Regards

Jamie Wells

FRL Media Group

British Shooting Show

War And Peace Revival

FRL Media"

Hi

Arrived yesterday. Easy to book in ( they just scan your ticket, so don't forget to print off your passes.

A few vehicles, loads of pitches marked up by groups. Rows A-D

of the trade stands starting to fill up.

According to the programme nearly all of the trade stands on the map have been taken.

A large delivery of showers arrived, loos are a bit sparse at the moment.

We will see how today pans out. Anyway looking forward to the week

cheers

Richard

What happens if you haven't had a pass sent to you? I'm in a group booking and up to last week they had no record of the booking..... That's now sorted but to the best of my knowledge there are no electronic tickets been sent.

Popped down yesterday for a shuftee-and was pleasantly surprised. The site is filling up very quickly, stalls are plentiful, some real nice vehicles on site already, and some very new looking self contained shower blocks had been delivered

Looking good!

Terry

Was only able to do today (unlike the regular five), but it was certainly good to be 'home'. A greater number of vehicles, more stalls (regulars returning) and the feel of old.

Roadways were very wet this morning but as soon as the sun came out they started to dry and were baked by the close of day. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the show.

Shuttle-bus to Paddock Wood runs hourly (not half-hourly as stated), damn-all in the way of signage, and it leaves from the station entrance rather then the industrial estate on the "out of London" side of the track.

They've replaced the old footbridge and there's now a passenger lift.

Chris.

(Missed the coach due to going straight to the old pickup point, missed the early trains from Birmingham because the misbegotten bus disservice failed to run the 0521 to the station so had to wait another 4 hours 20 minutes for 'Off Peak" to restart. (muttergrumblesnarl) a 20-hour day and I'm doing it again in 4 hours time. Goodnight!:D

Edited by Chris Suslowicz

Interesting to know that there is a bus to the Hop Farm from Paddock Wood Station. As an MV owner I haven't needed to use it but as I cannot bring it along this year I may come as a day visitor.

So where does the shuttle pick up from exactly and which bus firm does the service, or is it done by a coach company like when there is a rail replacement service on mainline trains?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1821664,0.3894625,3a,60y,241.16h,90.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJZYlwkrDYJkr387Q2zfpQA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Interesting to know that there is a bus to the Hop Farm from Paddock Wood Station. As an MV owner I haven't needed to use it but as I cannot bring it along this year I may come as a day visitor.

So where does the shuttle pick up from exactly and which bus firm does the service, or is it done by a coach company like when there is a rail replacement service on mainline trains?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1821664,0.3894625,3a,60y,241.16h,90.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJZYlwkrDYJkr387Q2zfpQA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Dark red coach from "Ham travel" (I think, since i've been up since 0400 again), I think it runs at 40 minutes past the hour from the station (it has to reverse into the station approach road), and leaves about 10 minutes after the train arrives (so as to allow people to spot it and get on). It'll be parked in the only place it'll fit: left hand side of the station approach road as you come out of the booking office.

Last trip from the Hop Farm to PDW is at 1800.

If it's still hourly and you've just missed it, a taxi fare is around £7, and I used Kent Cars (01892 832285) on Tuesday (number provided by the station staff) I have no connection with them, other than as an entirely satisfied customer.

Today was much better (apart from the weather), and I got home at a sensible hour.

Goodnight!

Chris.

I'm just back from a day's recce trip and I think it's pretty good, virtually back to "normal". Some of the stalls are rather repetitious (how much WWII German militaria does the world really need?) and I couldn't see much in the way of heavy armour. But well organised, particularly the fast lane for pre-paid tickets and I couldn't fault the toilets. Definitely worth a longer visit next year.

Andy

Got back an hour ago after two days, Stayed in a B&B in Ashford certainly not as many bikes as there used to be and as someone pointed out very little heavy Armour (which I can understand due to the logistics etc) trade stands seem to be fewer than previous years?? I get the impression a few have held back and just did a recce to see what its like before they commit, did the trade stands yesterday and whizzed around a few early this morning before venturing over to see the vehicles.

The shuttle bus........ as most who went to the previous years at Hop farm we all went to the wrong side of the station, lack of signs etc, I phoned the office to ask which side it was and they didn't know, I asked what kind of bus it was and they didn't know.....

I picked up a few items to display with the Matchless for when its finished, bits of webbing etc from the junk piles, and did well on two Holsters for the Webley .455 and the .38

Next year I'm working so will be another two for me before I return, all in all a good two days of rummaging and viewing.

went yesterday,got into the car park very easily and through the gate with ease.As has been said before trade stalls fewer and not really many parts stalls.

Arena looked ok but one entrance for in and out so i thuoght it didn't flow as easily as before,but loads of participents.

walking around the fields i thought good amount of vehicles,not as much armour but a good selection.

i thought too many civvy cars around, most not even hidden in the areas which i think lets it down.

overall i think better but still needs afew more tweaks,hopefully the organisers will take some of the feedback on board and make a good show even better,all in all good day even if it took me 2 1/2 hours to get out of the carpark but thats life!

I enjoyed the Show overall and it seemed to go well. IMHO, it does not have the same feel as before, but hey, things move on. As usual, I left the site with the warm fuzzy feeling that if I heard the Kelly's Heroes theme tune just one more time, I would shove the authentic Tannoy speaker up the owner's bum! :nut: There does seem to be an issue with access to the site on Show days. Traffic was stacked up for literally miles from the Hop Farm roundabout, in all directions. I don't recall it being that bad before, but in past years, most of the public parking was in fields over the road, so less traffic converging on that roundabout? Anyhow, it all points to encouraging better use of public transport links, and considering offsite parking and more shuttle buses. But its a positive indicator that traffic congestion is an issue!

I hope it all works out for you my experience over the years is not and a lot of wasted time while they check things not the girls and lads problem in booking in its just communication from the office to them I think.

Al

We arrived at the booking in and all was ok.

Went down to the hop farm for a couple of days great to catch up with fsc guys , the show felt like it was back in its correct location certainly far better than Folkestone,lay out was good and a varied selection of Mvs if u went round whole site showers and toilets were to usual standards ! (. Get some porta loos with flaps !):shocking: