BSA WD C10 project

Ron

We are lucky nowadays that we have computer cut, double sided, low tack stencils available. Bit better than hand crafting them from thin card and trying to fix them so there's no paint bleed like the old days. It's still a bit of a fiddle on the double curvature of a motorcycle tank though.

I boot polished the old knee grips and fitted them to some new backing plates from Russell Motors. Ron

C10 363.jpg

C10 364.jpg

C10 365.jpg

C10 366.jpg

I'm still waiting for my clutch plates to return from having new cork inserts fitted. But I've made up my own loom using period looking rubber cable and now have lights, horn and ignition. Quite a bit of extra wiring involved with coil ignition.

I also fettled the saddle mountings to align the saddle as per the factory picture and built the bike up enough for suitable pictures to apply for my dating letter, for eventual DVLA registration.

Ron

C10 375.jpg

C10 377.jpg

C10 376.jpg

And the infamous "6 spring clutch" now fitted. JJ made me a clutch cable from a pattern, but it's not quite right so will pick up the replacement at Kempton on Saturday. Best to try and get the clutch sorted before I put all those bloody screws in the chain case!! Ron

C10 380.jpg

I picked up my pre war silencer from Armours who had kindly remade the inlet spout for me and removed the previously mounted hanging bracket. Some lining up, bending, welding and fettling and the silencer position is near as damn it to the factory picture.

Ron

C10 381.jpg

C10 382.jpg

C10 387.jpg

I had a NOS carb body with jet block and float bowl donated to me. I've rebuilt it with all new parts and made up a fuel pipe which I've plated myself by tinning it with solder. Hours of fun!!?? I've also made up the oil pipes which run from the combined oil/petrol tank. More fun trying to stretch my new centre stand spring to fit over its locating pegs. Ron

C10 395.jpg

C10 397.jpg

C10 400.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting for my much better condition clutch lever blade that I acquired to come back from the platers (problems with the nickel vat!!??) So I can't button up the clutch cover until I've tested and adjusted it. In the mean time I've got my dating letter and posted off my application for historic registration. Fingers crossed, I haven't forgotten something! Ron

C10 403.jpg

• 5 years later...

Hi Ron

Been a while since I've been on,I got my 38 c 10 s paper work sorted out and it's now road legal with a age related number plate,I want to fit a speedometer to it,like your bike it has the provision for an angled Speedo drive  but can I find one? No chance! I'm also looking for a blown up drawing of how the Speedo parts all fit together into the wheel,,

Can you help?

Andy

Andy my C10 featured in this thread is a 1940 model WC10. Genuine WD,  built and despatched in 1939. Being a 1940 model, it has the later speedo drive driven on the outside of the left hub. 

My other C10 is the earlier KC10 and has the angled speedo drive through the brake plate, like yours would need. Back then it was an optional extra and would have come with a blanking plug in the brake plate.

Like I said on the "C" forum yesterday, the first thing is to establish if you have the bigger drive gear on the hub. None of these parts are going to be easy to find. The BSA angled speedo drive is unique but there is a way round that, but still very difficult to find. 

First picture 1939 model, second picture 1940 model.  Ron  

C10 053.JPG

C10 408.JPG

Edited by Ron