Registration question ?

When applying for an age related number for a 1940 British ex military vehicle with no previous log book tax disc etc I know I need dating cert from MVT or similar and new vehicle registration form from DVLA but does it have to be mot,ed as I just want to get a V5 for it prior to restoring and will not be putting back on the road for some time in the future after all the work done. .Any thoughts or comments please? :-)

When applying for an age related number for a 1940 British ex military vehicle with no previous log book tax disc etc I know I need dating cert from MVT or similar and new vehicle registration form from DVLA but does it have to be mot,ed as I just want to get a V5 for it prior to restoring and will not be putting back on the road for some time in the future after all the work done. .Any thoughts or comments please? :-)

Hi Andy I've done 3 bikes & 2 vehicles in the past 12 months so getting very used to this, no MOT required & infact its not possible to MOT them now as they are not on the system anymore.

Dating cert from MVT or owners club, get it insured on the chassis number & send off to DVLA with appropriate forms & cheque, you might get a V5 back but in my case an independent inspector was sent round on 4 of the 5 inspections.

The vehicle needs to be complete, original & all together if an independent inspector comes round otherwise he wont pass it, that's my experience.

Regards Ian

The MVT Verification person will advise what is required, the vehicle has to be complete, not dismantled, does not need to run, no MOT needed, ..But first you will have to submit a NOVA application to HMRC, ridiculous for a vehicle that has probably always been in the UK, its treated same as an import but its a DVLA requirement, otherwise they won't process the application

You beat me to it Nick, I was typing while you were posting but we are both of the same opinion.

Agree with the above, I've just done my 1954 Militant Tanker. MVT Verification Officer Post has just changed hands, now being done my girl called Mandy. Very knowledgeable lady and very helpful. She will organise inspection and verification of your vehicle. That done, she will send you a certificate which you post to DVLA along with all the other paperwork.

I didn't require a NOVA form as the vehicle had never left the country. All I had was a bill of sale from the previous keeper, "B" Vehicle Card from the RLC Museum, and build sheets from the British Commercial Vehicle Museum to confirm date of manufacture.

DVLA were excellent, only took 4 days to process application and send through confirmation, then another 2 to send through the V5C