Stuar Turner 'Edgar Westbury' WW2 80W 12V Light Weight Charging Set

Hi guys I bought this charging set a few years ago but only just got round to starting it up.

The problem is that it wont carry on running past a few seconds before it peters out (fuel not ignition) and for the life of me I cannot see how the engine draws the fuel up from the tank as there is no fuel pump & not pressurisation system like a Tilly lamp.

I'm missing something here ?:confused: but what ?

DSC06101.jpg

DSC06102.jpg

DSC06103.jpg

DSC06104.jpg

DSC06105.jpg

DSC06106.jpg

DSC06107.jpg

DSC06108.jpg

DSC06109.jpg

Hi guys I bought this charging set a few years ago but only just got round to starting it up.

The problem is that it wont carry on running past a few seconds before it peters out (fuel not ignition) and for the life of me I cannot see how the engine draws the fuel up from the tank as there is no fuel pump & not pressurisation system like a Tilly lamp.

I'm missing something here ?:confused: but what ?

Hi Ian,

I bought one of these, unissued in its crate about 30 years ago. Did you release the breather screw on top of fuel filler ? If not this could be why the engine is stopping. This is the same principle of fuel system as used on the Chorehorse and British BSA 300w charging sets.

Richard

Hi Ian.

I have the same light charging set and had to experiment a bit to have it well running.

Don't open the fuel tap completely, just halve way and your set will keep on running. The situation improves a lot when you connect the set to a battery and the charging set need to work.

That's my experience , had the set running for a hour without problem and a charged battery as result.

Now my 80 Watt set is running well I can concentrate on my chore horse charging set that need to go in the back of my Morris wireless lorry.

Guy.

Cheers guys I've had another go :mad: It will start and run on 'easy start' but dies out soon after I stop spraying, I've fiddled with the jet on the top of the carb and that makes a massive difference but I still don't get how it will carry on sucking the fuel up & keep running ?

I'm missing the plot here please tell me :confused:

Cheers guys I've had another go :mad: It will start and run on 'easy start' but dies out soon after I stop spraying, I've fiddled with the jet on the top of the carb and that makes a massive difference but I still don't get how it will carry on sucking the fuel up & keep running ?

Ian,

in your photo of the petrol tap, it is shown with lever vertical, this I think is the Off postion, make sure the lever is horizontal to run.

Ian,

in your photo of the petrol tap, it is shown with lever vertical, this I think is the Off postion, make sure the lever is horizontal to run.

Sorry Richard but I think that is wrong. There is a long-standing convention in the valve industry ( I'm a valve expert, for my various sins ... ) that the handle is in line with the hole through the ball, or the plug, or the cone, or whatever, so when the lever is inline with the hose, the valve should be fully open.

Sorry Richard but I think that is wrong. There is a long-standing convention in the valve industry ( I'm a valve expert, for my various sins ... ) that the handle is in line with the hole through the ball, or the plug, or the cone, or whatever, so when the lever is inline with the hose, the valve should be fully open.

Yes Gordon, I am well aware of convention, having been in engineering for 49 years. I have owned my 80 watt for a good many years and not run it for a long time, but just found the instruction book and that is what it states in there. :-)

Thanks Graham Richard & Gordon I will have another look at that tap tomorrow & get back to you.

Guy I got your Face Book message too.

It was like the blind leading the blind at the Victory show last year (wasn't it Nicky) bits got dropped in the grass etc. too many cooks spoil the broth & all that. :mad:

First of all there is an embarrsing mistake you can make (I know I did it, and it cost me a lot of sweat and blue air) Undo the bleed screw on the top of the fuel tank filler. The other thing if it has sat, muck in the carb. Take out all the jets and clean them.

First of all there is an embarrsing mistake you can make (I know I did it, and it cost me a lot of sweat and blue air) Undo the bleed screw on the top of the fuel tank filler. The other thing if it has sat, muck in the carb. Take out all the jets and clean them.

Its not the bleed screw & its not a carburettor as you know it, I don't miss stupid things like that !! its my job.

but I still don't get how it will carry on sucking the fuel up & keep running ?

Is the fuel not simply being sucked into the carb by the venture effect.

Have you tried a temporary fuel supply to see if the problem is in the carb or the fuel tank/fuel line?

• 3 years later...

Hello all,

Today i was so lucky to discover & buy such a nice little charger.

It need some TLC but that is no problem, i love to do that.

Dismantling the engine's cylinder to repair the valves ( the exhaust one was stuck) i examined the ignition and discovered  a missing ignition coil, see picture.

Now i am searching for this coil to make this little beauty alive again after many years.

Any form of help is welcome that leads me to this part.

With kind regards,

Herman van Rees

the Netherlands

• 1 year later...