Stolly (or Saracen?) on the Grand Tour this week

mat777

Is anyone else still watching the Grand Tour series inbetween bouts of cringing their face inside out?

This week's episode concludes with them appearing to make a "Prepper" post-apocalyptic armoured vehicle from a Stolly or possibly a Saracen. It's hard to tell due to the ridiculous "armour" the covered it in making it resemble a Judge Dredd City Cab.

Anyway, having done so, they then proceed to "test" the armour by appearing to blow it up with a naval shell fired from a nearby frigate.

I'm hoping that they didn't actually blow it up (you only get to see the explosion, no before or aftermath) - does anyone on here know any more about it? Alvises (or Alvii?) dont exactly grow on trees so I'd imagine the vehicle was known to someone?

Regards,

Matt

It was a stolly you can tell from the cab. Plus richard did say it was based on a stolly. Don't know anymore than that.

it was definatly a stolly .

an awful lot of its parts live on though as I bought them to help restore my stolly.:-D

Is anyone else still watching the Grand Tour series inbetween bouts of cringing their face inside out?

This week's episode concludes with them appearing to make a "Prepper" post-apocalyptic armoured vehicle from a Stolly or possibly a Saracen. It's hard to tell due to the ridiculous "armour" the covered it in making it resemble a Judge Dredd City Cab.

Anyway, having done so, they then proceed to "test" the armour by appearing to blow it up with a naval shell fired from a nearby frigate.

I'm hoping that they didn't actually blow it up (you only get to see the explosion, no before or aftermath) - does anyone on here know any more about it? Alvises (or Alvii?) dont exactly grow on trees so I'd imagine the vehicle was known to someone?

Regards,

Matt

Don't believe all you see on TV ! the Firing range is at Lulworth in Dorset where the Tanks do fire live rounds, they most certainly could Not fire a shell from a Frigate out at sea to land inland, that was pure simulation, and the final "Special Effects" explosion was probably one of the old Saracen target wrecks that are already on the range , you can be sure it was Not the Stalwart blowing up, .

PS. don't think Richard Hammond died in the explosion either !

Edited by Nick Johns

Don't believe all you see on TV ! the Firing range is at Lulworth in Dorset where the Tanks do fire live rounds, they most certainly could Not fire a shell from a Frigate out at sea to land inland, that was pure simulation, and the final "Special Effects" explosion was probably one of the old Saracen target wrecks that are already on the range , you can be sure it was Not the Stalwart blowing up, .

PS. don't think Richard Hammond died in the explosion either !

the stolly was definitely blown up .

I met the guy who did all the prep work ,drained all the oils etc but I think it was explosives they used.

the stolly was definitely blown up .

I met the guy who did all the prep work ,drained all the oils etc but I think it was explosives they used.

What one earth was left to use after they blew the damn thing up - esp. given the apparent size of the bang??

What a waste of a good vehicle :(

Last year, when this programme was probably made, there were a fair few Stalwarts for sale. Most were Mk1s, most were in poor condition or had significant major faults. TV can make a very average vehicle look a million dollars with a bit of slap. It doesn't necessarily follow that a good vehicle was wasted.

I can't speak to what actually happened, but my guess is it's likely a lot of parts were stripped out in the conversion, a lot more before it was blown up, and the bang probably rigged to look very spectacular using as little actual explosive as possible.

Last year, when this programme was probably made, there were a fair few Stalwarts for sale. Most were Mk1s, most were in poor condition or had significant major faults. TV can make a very average vehicle look a million dollars with a bit of slap. It doesn't necessarily follow that a good vehicle was wasted.

I can't speak to what actually happened, but my guess is it's likely a lot of parts were stripped out in the conversion, a lot more before it was blown up, and the bang probably rigged to look very spectacular using as little actual explosive as possible.

What I saw of the cab interior said Mk II to me - spent enough time behind the dash of one but I could be wrong :)

And it certainly looked and sounded OK whilst driving/ Agreed about the bang though - probably more propane or fuel/air mix to make a fireball than actual bang stuff :)

I'm sure at the same time he said it was a stolley he also said which film it was built for. It may have been one of the Alien films.

Ah, OK. So perhaps chopped about long before this programme was dreamed of then.

What I saw of the cab interior said Mk II to me - spent enough time behind the dash of one but I could be wrong :-) And it certainly looked and sounded OK whilst driving/ Agreed about the bang though - probably more propane or fuel/air mix to make a fireball than actual bang stuff :-)

Not saying it wasn't a MkII - I only saw a short clip on YouTube and couldn't tell. And they all look and sound OK on camera! Maybe irrelevant if Chris' comment is right though.

When I was supplying stuff to TV to be blown up they used to do exactly that, lots of fuel to make a big fireball, lots of light stuff to make convincing debris / shrapnel but very little actual explosive. The stuff used to come back pretty charred and not exactly pretty but without any real mechanical damage.

Incidentally, Neil, did you see the Artists Rifles silver bowl on Antiques Roadshow the other day?

It was definitely a mk 2 and was chopped about

just for the program , I came away from the company's yard

with a whole van full of Stolly and two good load bay doors on the roof .

they apparently had to drain all the oils etc before it was blown

up , and it was blown up , I saw the pics !

It was definitely a mk 2 and was chopped about

just for the program , I came away from the company's yard

with a whole van full of Stolly and two good load bay doors on the roof .

they apparently had to drain all the oils etc before it was blown

up , and it was blown up , I saw the pics !

I have the data plate somewhere for it if anyone's interested

I've not seen the episode yet, but they have a long history of destroying otherwise good vehicles. While a decent Stolly isn't cheap, they're not exactly expensive either and (as far as they're concerned), they got their money's worth out of it.

Cheers,

Terry