WW2 'Remote Control' box

No Signals

I'm asking about this on behalf of a pal who has this, but who isn't on here. I don't suppose it is strictly 'radio' more 'telegraphy' but some of you guys who know about this stuff may be familiar with the units as it may have been used in conjunction with radio equipment? Label on the outside says 'Wireless Remote Control Unit A', which suggest 'radio'. Inside is a Morse tapper/buzzer, battery box , connectors for telephones etc etc. The assumption is it is a Unit that was used at an 'out' location but given its label could, if needed, be the master unit. Anyone any definite knowledge of typical usage please?

Wireless Remote Control Unit A 001a.jpg

Wireless Remote Control Unit A 006a.jpg

I'm asking about this on behalf of a pal who has this, but who isn't on here. I don't suppose it is strictly 'radio' more 'telegraphy' but some of you guys who know about this stuff may be familiar with the units as it may have been used in conjunction with radio equipment? Label on the outside says 'Wireless Remote Control Unit A', which suggest 'radio'. Inside is a Morse tapper/buzzer, battery box , connectors for telephones etc etc. The assumption is it is a Unit that was used at an 'out' location but given its label could, if needed, be the master unit. Anyone any definite knowledge of typical usage please?

It's Wireless Remote Control Unit 'A', and the first of a fairly long line of such units (they eventually got to 'Q', possibly further). It was originally produced for Wireless Set No.1 (replacing a rather more limited control unit) and carried forward to the replacement Wireless Set No.11.

The complete setup requires two of those units, and various cables - a "fan out" cable that connects to the set (this has three plugs for microphone, headphones, and morse key on one end and a 4-pin "Plug No.406" (as used on various field telephone handsets) on the other), and a "Coupler No.2" which is a quick connect adapter for the remote control link. (The cables are carried in a pouch stitched to the carrying strap for the control unit - these appear on eBay occasionally and are mis-described as being for signal pistol cartridges!) Interconnect between the units was a 100 yard reel of twin cable with matching "Coupler No.2" on each end.

The outfit allowed remote operation of the wireless set, although it required an operator at the set to perform the send/receive switching.

It also provided telephone communication between the operators, or to a standard field switchboard - so it was possible for a remote telephone user to access the radio (with the set operator doing the send/receive switching, of course).

Chris.

Edited by Chris Suslowicz
typo

Not sure if this is the right one, but remote controls were used with the Wireless Set 19 with a special junction box to extend a station outside of the vehicle over 2-wire cable.

The WS19 remote control was "Wireless Remote Control Unit 'E'", which was a modification (the extra key switch at the top right hand side of the case) of the earlier WRCU 'B' used with the Wireless Sets 2, 3 and 9. Most of the "B" units appear to have been converted in this way.

Chris.

As ever on this forum, excellent helpful answers. I will pass the info on to the owner and I know he will be grateful for the input, thanks.

I must confess to not having looked at the panel inside the lid and it does refer to Set No1 and Set No11. But the full description from Chris makes it much easier to follow.

I will be passing all info and messages on to the owner on a daily basis. I can't speak for him as to whether it is up for sale, but I can't think it will be of use/interest to him so it may well be offered.

The WS19 remote control was "Wireless Remote Control Unit 'E'", which was a modification (the extra key switch at the top right hand side of the case) of the earlier WRCU 'B' used with the Wireless Sets 2, 3 and 9. Most of the "B" units appear to have been converted in this way.

Chris.

Thanks Chris :)

Watch the first film it's about 13mins long but describes everything you need to know about connecting up the remote control units. If anyone is interested I have the aerial coupling units featured in the film at £40 each.

http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/F05265/

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/F07537/

Edited by kevin powles

I bought my first wireless remote control unit in 1958. I think they were 7/6 (40 new p) new & boxed, nearly a months pocket money though. I think this was my Canadian one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122103[/ATTACH]

Nope! That's a British Wireless Remote Control Unit 'E' Mk.II for the WS19 (and, I think, the WS52).

The Mk.1 had a wooden case, and a lot of Remote Control Unit 'B's were converted into 'E's by changing the set cable (from two jack and one banana plug to a 5-pt snatch plug and a jack plug with a flat filed on the sleeve so it wouldn't trip the WS19 "send" contact on the key jack) and adding the switchbox at top right plus an attenuator to match the high-output carbon microphone to the WS19 (which expected a low output moving-coil insert). The Mk.II was effectively the same unit in a steel case.

I think mine cost me £3.50 each from West End Radio, but that was much later (probably 15 - 20 years). :wow:

Chris.

(The Canadian remote control units were wooden-cased and somewhat larger front-to-back as they had a space to store the hand microphone (C3) and headset behind the actual RCU gubbins.)

Edited by Chris Suslowicz
Add footnote about Canadian remote control unit.

Ok Chris I think I had three altogether I had fixed in my mind one was a Canadian, but anyway I pulled them all apart to try to make a telephone exchange & morse code reading machine but neither of those projects was a great success. Just wish I had left the things alone, never thought they would be worth saving :(

Ok Chris I think I had three altogether I had fixed in my mind one was a Canadian, but anyway I pulled them all apart to try to make a telephone exchange & morse code reading machine but neither of those projects was a great success. Just wish I had left the things alone, never thought they would be worth saving :(

That happened to a hell of a lot of stuff.

At least the remote control units were produced in large quantities and a lot of them have survived to this day.

Someone on the WS19 group owned up to dismantling suitcase sets for the components.:wow:

All the stuff that has gone forever because it didn't cover any amateur bands and/or there were no manuals available. :(

I could have had complete 'S' phones and Wireless Sets 1 & 14 from the Radio Centre in Hurst Street, Birmingham, for pocket money. (If only we'd known then what we know now!)

(Sigh) Even the nostalgia isn't what it used to be. :(

Chris.

Suitcase :wow:

Yes the things I have pulled apart. I could get 19 Set chassis for 7/6 (no valves or case) from Arthur Sallis, Brighton & 38 Set Mk II (basic set with valves but no ancillaries) for 22/6 & most of them worked.

The things I chucked away & my parents chucked away for me (including a part of Keith Moon's drum but that is going off topic)

I'm interested to know about the Keith moon drum as the who is my favourite group.

I joined the fan club in 1966 to find out their gig list. I won the prize for devising a crossword puzzle, it was meant to be a drum & some sticks. After a lot of chasing I received a side section of a drum from the Pictures of Lily kit Keith had made. The piece was about a foot square incorporating a picture of said Lily. When I was a student my parents moved house & told me they cleared my belongings of "rubbish" this was gone & various bit of WW2 radio "junk".

I also was given a signed photo, still have that. John's signature was in felt tip & faded away. Pete just signed it as "Pete", but the other two used a biro with fairly lavish signatures. I think they are genuine it was before they got round to facsimile signatures on fan photos.

I joined the fan club in 1966 to find out their gig list. I won the prize for devising a crossword puzzle, it was meant to be a drum & some sticks. After a lot of chasing I received a side section of a drum from the Pictures of Lily kit Keith had made. The piece was about a foot square incorporating a picture of said Lily. When I was a student my parents moved house & told me they cleared my belongings of "rubbish" this was gone & various bit of WW2 radio "junk".

It seems to be a 'Parent' thing. My Mother cleared out a load of my 'Old Junk'. Worth a bloody fortune now. :iamsmiling:

Those remote A units were also manufactured here in large numbers ( and in New Zealand I think ) . I would buy them for 10 bucks when I started collecting signals equipment in the 1980's. Lately, I have seen people asking ridiculous money for them on EBAY here.