Firearms Certificate - U.S. 37mm Tank Gun

Barrie

Thanks for the informative replies.

Based on my experiences recently, I would think that the ability to fire blanks, and an allocation of blanks on your FAC might help your case. I could foresee an argument that if you never want to fire any ammunition you don't need the piece to be fireable.

It is a strange business!

Yes indeed! 'Normally' blank ammo does not require a licence at all. HOWEVER...If you read the firearms act. Under ammo requirement's. it DOES state. Blank Ammunition over 1" in Calibre. Is considered sec.1 Ammo.

Soooooo......ANYTHING pretty much blank wise for Artillery Pieces, should be on F.A.C. It is important to state you DO wish to use blanks in arena/ display events. Because as another member has correctly stated. The F.E.O may well say you must have it deactivated. If you do NOT wish to fire it, in whatever role it may be utilised in!.........That would destroy History & value of course!.....:cry:

Regarding blank sizes, I have seen it written by some Police guidelines that the 1" diameter is to be measured just ahead of the rim of the cartridge, an odd way to measure a calibre but a good way to get 20mm into FAC territory.

I think that's actually stated in the Act, rather than just a guideline. It's actually a sensible restriction since blank cartridges are filled with fine grained black powder (or modern equivalent), and a large cartridge contains a lot of it - certainly enough to present an explosion hazard in a fire or if misused.

Chris.

A black powder licence used to be write to the local authority then get it by return post. Now there are a lot more restrictions on storage. A 12 bore blank can be very impressive when fired from an artillery piece and a lot simpler than loading black powder charges.

Thanks for the informative replies.

Based on my experiences recently, I would think that the ability to fire blanks, and an allocation of blanks on your FAC might help your case. I could foresee an argument that if you never want to fire any ammunition you don't need the piece to be fireable.

It is a strange business!

This is not true., I am registered as a collector not a re-enactor and don't use my Artillery for any other purpose than static display and private exhibition .

I have a self stated condition on my licence that my Artillery will NOT be fired and it made no difference what so ever to my application.

However as mentioned before and well known amongst live weapon collectors each firearm licencing department interprets legislation differently ,Hampshire being one ,never the less a Section one FA Licence and a powder/ammunition licence are two completely different entities and granted at their own regulations.

Rob................rnixartillery.

Edited by rnixartillery