Replacement LEDs for 5W sidelight on Ferret

Neil, what Tony said. Sorry, I probably sowed confusion because my initial reply to Tony was in general terms, not specifically on the E marking question - and in hindsight I probably misunderstood what he was saying.

For the sake of clarity and speaking generally an MoT exempt vehicle must be kept in a roadworthy condition which normally means it has to comply with the regulations that were in force at the time the vehicle was built.

I'll get my coat.

Don't ..um..worry? Is that it? The age mate, :-D

Must be something in the idea of changing. The bunch I work for are spending around £400 a vehicle to retrofit LED, that's on vehilces with only a couple of years life left.

Edited by Tony B

Neil,

I think the flashers don't work because Leds don't have the required resistance or current draw; no doubt someone better qualified than me will be along soon to confirm or correct.

The only thing with flashers is that they need to be between 60 & 120 flashes per minute

David

Correct - most flasher units are dependent on the correct load to get the flash rate correct. It's deliberate so that on older vehicles if one bulb fails the remainder flash quickly to warn the driver. More modern vehicles can sense individual bulb failure anyway.

Andy

Mad scientist aka Jeremy,

wonderful write up.

How about some pictures of it installed?

Love this thread

Hello folks, Robin asked for pictures of these LEDs,

Here are pictures of the three LED types compared with the original 5W incandescent sidelight bulb.

Sidelight bulb = 1x brightness

Classic cars LED = 2x brightness, warm white

Chinese LED 1 = 6x brightness, cool white

Chinese LED 2 = 4x brightness, cool white

cheers, Jeremy aka Mad Scientist

Sidelight LEDs_paste.jpg

Correct - most flasher units are dependent on the correct load to get the flash rate correct. It's deliberate so that on older vehicles if one bulb fails the remainder flash quickly to warn the driver. More modern vehicles can sense individual bulb failure anyway.

Andy

Do it the easy way! Buy an LED flasher unit for about £8. Trying to load a standard one with resistors, stuff it! Also, remember to change any trailer bulbs.

I like the second photo from the left but then again I am biased as I speak my mind.

What is the item lashed to the antennae tube with the red end to it?

Thanks for the info, I am now informed.

Hi Robin, Its a crowbar.

I know its non-standard. I saw one on another privately-owned Ferret and, because I don't have sand tracks, decided to lash this securely to the antenna tube. I covered the lashings with a short length of webbing strap. I got the crowbar cleaned and black enamel-coated, then painted the ends red. I think it looks the part with the front glacis furniture, but it also has two other functions. First, it provides a strengthened step-up when getting on and off the vehicle from the front, so the tube is not bent or damaged. I've seen a Ferret suffer side-swipe damage when a car hit it as it was exititng a T-junction, so a very much secondary purpose is to help minimise impact damage.

Jeremy

I like the second photo from the left but then again I am biased as I speak my mind.

I'm with Robin - the Classic Cars LED looks the best of the 3. I can see the Mitant being retrofitted with them at some point. Probably not the indicators though as I doubt there will be an LED replacement for the indicator switch/relay.

I'm with Robin - the Classic Cars LED looks the best of the 3. I can see the Mitant being retrofitted with them at some point. Probably not the indicators though as I doubt there will be an LED replacement for the indicator switch/relay.

You can load an LED with resistors to operate an old mechanical flasher unit, or do what I did and buy a replacement for about £8.:-D

Just feed LED indiactor into Amazon. There are a number available. I've found it a very useful site for bits. I got a three pin and added a cheap buzzer unit from Maplins. Much more use in an MV than a little flashing light.

Edited by Tony B

Just feed LED indiactor into Amazon. There are a number available. I've found it a very useful site for bits. I got a three pin and added a cheap buzzer unit from Maplins. Much more use in an MV than a little flashing light.

You've got an MV where you can hear a buzzer when driving? :shocked:

Andy