which one are you from the following

army driver

Regarding display boards, I suggest that these are not massive; I have seen some the size of a door leant up against the front of the cab, effectively ruining any photo of the MV.

So have a bit of common sense concerning size and location and please don't get arsey if a photographer / MV owner like me temporarily has a mate move it out of the way!

7 would be the most applicable for me, the problem is doing most shows by myself I tend not to display any valuable equipment (or cr*p as my wife calls it!) I have collected over the years and part of the reason for going is to wander around the show in the aquistion of more, so I can't secure it at a show, especially somewhere like W+P.

The other issue is family, if they come they can't fit in a lwt so wife takes her car, also she is not keen on the cold 9x9 and demands more modern tentage (she does agree with it being fully cammed up though).

I do firmly agree though that vehicle and display should be at the front and the rest at the back, W+P is especially bad for this with often huge encampments of mixed tentage, civi vehicles, Porto loo all on show and the military vehicles packed nose in or haphazardly around them As an after thought.

Alan, your wife must be some how related to mine as she has exactly the same view of my collection of kit, also describing my Lwt as an unpaying guest, and like yours she says never again to the thought of sleeping in my 9x9!

As for my category it is usually 7 but I did manage to be 2 last summer at the now defunct Military World Show, Beltring. Sadly I broke a shock absorber going over a rock hard rut in the arena but it was worth it. As for W&P there isn't much opporunity to be Category 2 during the show, unless you have a unique vehicle or are part of the battle re-enactment.

Edited by LarryH57

These days mainly #7 as the UAZ and Landie invariably wind up in Living History. The OT-90 pretty much always did. Occasionally at smaller shows its #2 although vehicles are displayed with some kit and any tentage, seats etc are behind so photographers are happy.

In that regard the Militant will be the best of both worlds as the accomodation is in the back under the tilt.

As for W&P - up till last year there were always opportunities to go for a rumble in the arena no matter what you owned. Last year though the arena program seemed to be too WW2 centric. Hopefully that will be one of the changes this year.

Edited by ArtistsRifles

The above is only one better than Category 9 - buy up scores of vehicles, store them in a yard or field with the intension of restoring them, but then leave them to rot and then die, and have the executors sell the rusting hulks off by public auction at knock down prices, watched by enthusiasts with tears in their eyes at the thought that some real treasures have ended up like that. After all we a guardians of our history and not the owners!

I'm sure that rightits really sad :cry: to see such a "would be" great collection wasting away.

I think its the chase, the spending of money and then "well Ive got" ...........

not sure which or any of the categories I fall into as at the moment I don't own a ex-military vehicle. I do have friends who still have quite a few (eighteen or so between them all ww-2) who like me are advancing none to gracefully into old age. As I am the youngest at sixty eight they show a few vehicles at shows that appeal, not always the big shows just the ones where you can enjoy yourself meet longtime friends as well as make new ones. I usually drive one, I also insured one and along with the owners maintain and restore those vehicle as yet unfinished which is my interest. Vehicle information at shows is just an A-4 sheet stating what it is, who used it, points of interest left somewhere on the vehicle. Sometimes we use the services of a low loader as cost wise saves our bones shorter jurnes we drive what do we avoid wan-a-be experts whose knowledge is at best questionable - be tolerant - enjoy ourselves - curse the big green ex-army tent every time it's put up and taken down but most of all enjoy our weekly fix of working on ex-military vehicle older than me

It is interesting to read through the responses from people as to their thoughts on rally participation. It is not just the MV scene that this applies to, but is similar to any vintage vehicle or machinery event.

As others have said they choose which events they attend. An important factor here is distance and the costs of transporting, particularly larger items hundreds of km either way. There are also time constrains, and work commitments so at times its travel by car or fly a greater distance, and help others out on site. This also allows a degree of freedom to talk with other owners and compare items and with that the chance to acquire or pass on parts that are needed.

The comments made as to presentation of some peoples vehicles are so true, even here on the other side of the world. The clutter of personal gear about vehicles can be quite distracting for photographing a scene. My pet hate is the use of modern style folding chairs parked beside a vehicle, totally out of character to the scene. Other styles of wooden folding chairs of a period design are available and can fit well into a photo.

As for the latter additional categories of collecting and storing bits, I well fit into that group! Yes I have piles of parts, often saved from otherwise a scrap man. Slowly enough parts of the various models are being located and the rebuilds are progressing forward.

One only has to read through the great work undertaken on this forum of some restorations from non operative piles of parts. The role of the Gosling's with their Dennis and Thornycroft well illustrate this.

I feel the points as to eventual disposal by should be a further category. The value of parts is based upon who wants them.

Rallies and events are great to get to, but remember some people have more funds, time, energy and health available than others.

Doug