which one are you from the following

army driver

hi everyone

after many years of attending all sorts of events i have now noted the " ideals of exhibitors "

buy a ex military vehicle , drive to the show , park it up and do not move until end of show ( this includes day trippers )

put your chairs in front of your vehicle so no one can take a good photo

buy a ex military vehicle , drive to the show , park it up , drive around the arena

buy a ex military vehicle , drive to the show arrive late , and be the first to leave

buy a ex military vehicle , leave it at home , go to the show in a car , tell everyone you have a military vehicle

buy a ex military vehicle , tow it to show on a trailer , unload it , stand by it , reload it go home

buy a motorhome , tow your ex military vehicle to a show , most of the time park it next to motorhome ( this is the same as a military vehicle towing a caravan )

buy a ex military vehicle , drive to show , put on a display ( this includes tents , fly sheets , camo nets/poles, ammo boxs , ect)

these are just a few , if you can think of anymore please add

these are not here to wind up people just to say " if you are a show organiser which would you prefer to attend "

it is not hard to display vehicles , the normal is " got to park next to my mate , as close as i can in parallel " in a 2 acre field

try placing your vehicle at 45 degrees , cover modern tables with hessian same as sand bags , cover your rear load area in you vehicle with canvas ( your cool box )

more and more shows put up ropes to divide sections off as walkways , use them to your advantage

im looking folward to the replys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lets make 2017 not just a military display in the corner of a show , where the public just glance over and walk by

this is just a hobby , MAKE IT FUN

To be honest it depends on what kind of event.

Some shows have a big drive attached to it, In the Netherlands mostly a commemorative one.

For us storage of vehicle is a extra hassle.

A show like W&P is for us just to impractible/expensive to drive the Dodge to and from it.

And all those costs, extra risk and extra hours of driving to get there is high when considering we could only take it to the arena Max twice a day.

Also breaking down in a foreign country can become a immense drama, like my friend and me experienced in Belgium some years ago. (can share if interested).

Driving on the show ground during visitors hours is a no go (fair enough, H&S) and after hours on last W&P was a bit like in the old days with vehicles on the move. The years before no activity after 17:00.

Takingthe Ferry is extra $$$ and the last years even worse with hours of trafficjams near Dover. Better in a Civvie car than a 75 year old vehicle.

When I attend a show/commemoration in our vehicle or as a back up driver of a lady friend I do wear a uniform and take care not to show modern stuff and talk to people about our hobby. Her field hospital was a good display but a lot of work for a afternoon event.

But in short, driving a few 100 miles for a static displasy or a few laps in a arena is just not practicle. So a commemorative drive is prefered to a more or less static show for us.

Edited by Enigma

Most of the time number two sometimes no seven depending who goes, always do our best to hid modern stuff and use military tents etc,I like shows where you can move around which is one of the many reasons for going to war and peace😀

Simon

Number 7 every time, whether it's a full weekend or a one day show. Obviously the size and quantity of display depends on show duration.

It takes me a whole day to set up EVERYTHING and a day to pack away.

I tend to do local shows for the full display but smaller ones if further. I tow my jeep normally behind the van if full display as all kit in van, otherwise tow it behind Land Rover with camping gear and small display in back.

Probably No. 2 for want of a better word, sometimes No. 7 depending on the show, but have witnessed most categories 1-7 at various times at various shows 😁

Hopefully if the Bedford behaves itself this season I'll dress it with period kit etc and use my millitary Ridge tent to add a bit more interest for the paying public.

You could transfer most of those to any show arena, not just the Military ones. We do mainly steam rallies and the like with the "Civilian" Militant, but you see much the same thing whatever is on display.

My pet hate is those who turn up, park up, and then disappear until going home time. No information about the vehicle, no interaction with the punters, waste of time them being there really.

Whole point of owning the truck, for me anyway, is to be able to drive it around and show it off. So, I like to think we do the show thing a bit better.

While we don't have much to display, we do have information boards out about the trucks restoration and history, we are on hand to meet and greet interested punters, or move the boards when they want to take a photo. We do participate in the arena events, and even when we are just sitting round the back of the truck in the evening we are still sociable.

506 Newark 2015 BarBQue.jpg

you have to bring your own beers though :-D

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
add picture

hi everyone

after many years of attending all sorts of events i have now noted the " ideals of exhibitors "

buy a ex military vehicle , drive to the show , park it up and do not move until end of show ( this includes day trippers )

put your chairs in front of your vehicle so no one can take a good photo

buy a ex military vehicle , drive to the show , park it up , drive around the arena

buy a ex military vehicle , drive to the show arrive late , and be the first to leave

buy a ex military vehicle , leave it at home , go to the show in a car , tell everyone you have a military vehicle

buy a ex military vehicle , tow it to show on a trailer , unload it , stand by it , reload it go home

buy a motorhome , tow your ex military vehicle to a show , most of the time park it next to motorhome ( this is the same as a military vehicle towing a caravan )

buy a ex military vehicle , drive to show , put on a display ( this includes tents , fly sheets , camo nets/poles, ammo boxs , ect)

these are just a few , if you can think of anymore please add

these are not here to wind up people just to say " if you are a show organiser which would you prefer to attend "

it is not hard to display vehicles , the normal is " got to park next to my mate , as close as i can in parallel " in a 2 acre field

try placing your vehicle at 45 degrees , cover modern tables with hessian same as sand bags , cover your rear load area in you vehicle with canvas ( your cool box )

more and more shows put up ropes to divide sections off as walkways , use them to your advantage

im looking folward to the replys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lets make 2017 not just a military display in the corner of a show , where the public just glance over and walk by

this is just a hobby , MAKE IT FUN

Definitely #7

You could transfer most of those to any show arena, not just the Military ones. We do mainly steam rallies and the like with the "Civilian" Militant, but you see much the same thing whatever is on display.

My pet hate is those who turn up, park up, and then disappear until going home time. No information about the vehicle, no interaction with the punters, waste of time them being there really.

Whole point of owning the truck, for me anyway, is to be able to drive it around and show it off. So, I like to think we do the show thing a bit better.

While we don't have much to display, we do have information boards out about the trucks restoration and history, we are on hand to meet and greet interested punters, or move the boards when they want to take a photo. We do participate in the arena events, and even when we are just sitting round the back of the truck in the evening we are still sociable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122058[/ATTACH]

you have to bring your own beers though :-D

😁 I concur I quite enjoy talkingto the public although I post a small info sheet up concerning whichever vehicle Is on display, the champ always draws people to it, quite a few tell me they used to drive one in the services or in civy Street, which contrasts with the jeep as not many ww2 veterans get to the shows nowadays.

Most of the shows that I go to are steam rallies and entrance is free which means we get a weekend away with our mates doing what we like to do and I like to repay the debt by trundling around the arena usually with friends and their kids in tow 😆.

I have seen most of them, BUT have you considered why some of the happen, for example "arriving late leaving early"

There could be a valid point why that has happened, I'm sure that most of us have had an unplanned breakdown en-route to a show but made the effort to get there,if not a little late.

Towing vehicles, again you have to consider the distance,it just may be more practical to do that if its a short show.

Motorhome, I use one for War & Peace I admit. Its about 160 mile to the show, Ive driven Gmc,Dodge and Jeep there in the past, the last time driving them there was a 14 hr journey........so now we still make the EFFORT but trailer or lorry everything down there. We dont try and park in the "green area" we understand how important for some people to poorly hide all thier modern gear under plastic......we are just proud to say we made the effort.

We park in the "mish mash" field, yes our motorhomes are there but so are the 70+ year old vehicles. Our vehicles are clean and I think look pretty good, ok they are not marked up "101 or 82" and do not have every option Soldier of Fortune sell hung on them !!!!!!

BUT WE MAKE THE EFFORT, there are all sorts of reasons people take vehicles to show's, have you asked them.....whats your's ???

I have seen most of them, BUT have you considered why some of the happen, for example "arriving late leaving early"

There could be a valid point why that has happened, I'm sure that most of us have had an unplanned breakdown en-route to a show but made the effort to get there,if not a little late.

Towing vehicles, again you have to consider the distance,it just may be more practical to do that if its a short show.

Motorhome, I use one for War & Peace I admit. Its about 160 mile to the show, Ive driven Gmc,Dodge and Jeep there in the past, the last time driving them there was a 14 hr journey........so now we still make the EFFORT but trailer or lorry everything down there. We dont try and park in the "green area" we understand how important for some people to poorly hide all thier modern gear under plastic......we are just proud to say we made the effort.

We park in the "mish mash" field, yes our motorhomes are there but so are the 70+ year old vehicles. Our vehicles are clean and I think look pretty good, ok they are not marked up "101 or 82" and do not have every option Soldier of Fortune sell hung on them !!!!!!

BUT WE MAKE THE EFFORT, there are all sorts of reasons people take vehicles to show's, have you asked them.....whats your's ???

Nice reply gas 44, making the effort to go is the most important part , either with restored tackle or unrestored. I have had more interest in pulling an unrestored project to a show often than a fresh restoration !

I think for true preservationists in it for life ( and I am one of these ) never forget to talk to and encourage the next generation , they won't be able to drive most of today's vehicles on standard licenses in the future , getting them hooked is the key , so they want to get involved.

How about those who buy an ex MV to use,

My RB44 was set up as a camper, and was used almost daily, same goes for my current 110.

Not too bothered about authenticity as long as it works. I just like the fact it isn't glossy paint and full of electronics, a hammer and spanner can fix most things on them.

While I go to the shows to see the other vehicles ( and very much admire the dedication and attention to detail) I wouldn't bother putting mine in a show.

I do prefer the used vehicles though, the pristine, straight off the production line look, doesn't really do it for me.

Definitely number 5

But Pop it on a low loader, Use it around the arena and have a general good time with her, crush a few cars.. set a few car alarms go off, make it into or onto the front page of Classic military vehicles mag and win a few awards.

End of the show, Stick it back on the low loader get it delivered back to the shed, spend 3 days washing all the mud and crap off it and maintain it.

Easy!

But I bring a 3"/76mm , a 57mm, and a 37mm. And a 1945 Willys Jeep, and a 1943 WC63. So it goes on a 53' lowboy trailer, and a 20' car hauler trailer. And since I can can not be everywhere at once, I have signs at each item describing the item, on display.

Normally, the 3" is on the nose of the Lowboy, and the Jeep and 37mm is on the 20' car hauler trailer behind my pickup truck.

IMG_2260.jpg

b7ab77e9-b3b3-48bc-9e1c-28fa88b676a9.jpg

c1db0194-b05f-4a38-bb86-4e884278acf0.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

bobby202.jpg

bobby.jpg

Well......7 or 2 but hopefully a 7.

having never done a military show before, this year will be my first season with the MW if all goes well. It's there to be used, climbed all over and generally enjoyed so hopefully a 7.

love the truck. We would all go to a show with our vehicles on one of those if we had one. At the end of the day, you have to make do with the resources you have and the coin in your pocket. Personality plays a big part too. I had a stand up argument with a guy at a show who was adamant that the Saracen had a Merlin engine in it, and the guys who feels that its OK to pop their little kid in the drivers seat of my ferret so his sticky fingers can play with all the dials, to later find that the battery was flat because, said kid had switched everything on, and 6 hours later, the battery didnt have enough ooomph to kick over. Obviously the father was long gone, when I was swinging the crank handle. Some personalities might take some umbrance to these individuals and as such not have the patience to negotiate their opinionated and entitled attitudes. For the most part though, most people are great, but after a long day of standing in the heat, one individuals can test your reserve. I understand why some people choose not to engage the public.

But I bring a 3"/76mm , a 57mm, and a 37mm. And a 1945 Willys Jeep, and a 1943 WC63. So it goes on a 53' lowboy trailer, and a 20' car hauler trailer. And since I can can not be everywhere at once, I have signs at each item describing the item, on display.

Normally, the 3" is on the nose of the Lowboy, and the Jeep and 37mm is on the 20' car hauler trailer behind my pickup truck.

IMG_2260.jpg

b7ab77e9-b3b3-48bc-9e1c-28fa88b676a9.jpg

c1db0194-b05f-4a38-bb86-4e884278acf0.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

bobby202.jpg

bobby.jpg

I own two, 'Cause I can! :yay: yes I do take them to shows, if I'm asked nicely and like the sound of it. But mainly they are great fun. Now with Grandchildren, they are more value than money in the bank, but mainly it is for me to enjoy. I have over the years done some interesting things, and met interesting people, but when show organisers start laying down rules and regulations and expecting me to pay to go there. S*D OFF! If we don't come all you have is an empty field. Plus the atmosphere around many events, I don't need it. If it stops being fun for me, I won't do it.

love the truck. We would all go to a show with our vehicles on one of those if we had one. At the end of the day, you have to make do with the resources you have and the coin in your pocket. Personality plays a big part too. I had a stand up argument with a guy at a show who was adamant that the Saracen had a Merlin engine in it, and the guys who feels that its OK to pop their little kid in the drivers seat of my ferret so his sticky fingers can play with all the dials, to later find that the battery was flat because, said kid had switched everything on, and 6 hours later, the battery didnt have enough ooomph to kick over. Obviously the father was long gone, when I was swinging the crank handle. Some personalities might take some umbrance to these individuals and as such not have the patience to negotiate their opinionated and entitled attitudes. For the most part though, most people are great, but after a long day of standing in the heat, one individuals can test your reserve. I understand why some people choose not to engage the public.

I'm 63, and the years my kids were young, I could not ever afford a vehicle, so I purchased Military weapons for a couple hundred bucks. And I restored a M20 for a local Museum and kept it up, and took it to shows. Once the kids got to where every penny was not going to support them, I sold all my guns and bought my 1st vehicle. Do what you can afford.

Over here, when someone see's a big green army truck, they think it belongs to the Government. So it's there's. If some one ask if they can put their kid in the seat, I tell they them, "As long as they do not touch anything, other than the steering wheel." That is a safety issue, and no climbing in the back for the same reason.

I have learned just because some one was in the Military that it does not mean they are right, or remember things correctly.

Also agree with the heat..... We have one show we go to every year that was a B17 training base here in Tennessee, and it is in August, which is the hottest time of our year. Then they have us set up on the tarmac. It usually is around 100 degrees, and the highest was 109. So I know you are correct in that.

We are mostly no3 type of people.

Work hard to deliver a running vehicle to show, explain the adaptions to passers by and let children and older children to age of 65 sit in them and share a beer or at dinner time some food.

Arena runs are what my wife enjoys as she can speak in public.

I think there should be a Category Number 8 - buy an MV lock it away in a garage and never show it then die and have it sold to a scrap yard by an indifferent nephew cum executor based abroad, because 'V by any car' site says its worth £50!

The above is only one better than Category 9 - buy up scores of vehicles, store them in a yard or field with the intension of restoring them, but then leave them to rot and then die, and have the executors sell the rusting hulks off by public auction at knock down prices, watched by enthusiasts with tears in their eyes at the thought that some real treasures have ended up like that. After all we a guardians of our history and not the owners!

i agree with the comment about a few more categorys

its great to hear most here are up for putting display boards up , i think most of the puplic want to know --------

what is it worth

why did you buy one

how fast is it

where do you keep it

do you drive it / did you drive it here

what other questions have you been asked ?