SNATCH FLYWHEEL BLUES (literally!)

DINGODOUG

The flywheel on my Landrover Snatch has been seriously overheated and is blued and covered in cracks. Is it possible to skim it and if so how much metal can be removed (it is a Rover V8) ? Incidentally the bell housing was full of carbon clutch dust which had caused the release bearing plastic housing to seize on it's shaft. The actuating arm is held onto this by 2 pathetic plastic clips which had pinged off and disappeared. There was then nothing to restrain the piston in the clutch slave cylinder which also pinged out.Not the robust engineering which I would expect in a combat vehicle. It seems a re-run of the PIG saga when the clutch was hopelessly inadequate for the body weight.

Is the dust really carbon, or carbonised friction material from the clutch driven plate? If the latter, and it's older, be careful of asbestos.

Given it's a Rover V8 and parts are easily obtained I'd be inclined just to replace the flywheel with a good second-hand one. It might skim, but once they're cooked like that they're not all that easy to bring back and the chances are the cracks run quite deep, even assuming there's no distortion.

It sounds as though the situation with the release bearing and clips was precipitated by the clutch failure not the other way round.

Doug,

If the flywheel has cracks in it, it will also have hard spots and will not clean up at all well. I would change the flywheel, probably cheaper than trying to get it machined. They must be readily available.

cheers Richard

The plastic clips are cheap and nasty, its a gearbox removal to fit them, a common fix is to weld a metal strip that holds the clutch ball in place. As even removing the clutch slave cylinder can break the plastic clip. A 16p clip and your off the road.

The flywheel on my Landrover Snatch has been seriously overheated and is blued and covered in cracks. Is it possible to skim it and if so how much metal can be removed (it is a Rover V8) ? Incidentally the bell housing was full of carbon clutch dust which had caused the release bearing plastic housing to seize on it's shaft. The actuating arm is held onto this by 2 pathetic plastic clips which had pinged off and disappeared. There was then nothing to restrain the piston in the clutch slave cylinder which also pinged out.Not the robust engineering which I would expect in a combat vehicle. It seems a re-run of the PIG saga when the clutch was hopelessly inadequate for the body weight.

Thanks for all your advice. I am sourcing a new flywheel and hope it will last a bit better than the old.

• 2 weeks later...