Help with 1942 willys MB purchase

apeers

Right I've just put a deposit a 1942 willys MB in quite rough condition this does not worry me what worries me is the chassis ID plate has perished and fallen off from corrosion leaving only the rivets behind It has the dash plate and it's mostly original is the chassis ID the same as the tub? will I have problems when it comes to registering it with the dvla? Any help would be appreciated

andy

Right I've just put a deposit a 1942 willys MB in quite rough condition this does not worry me what worries me is the chassis ID plate has perished and fallen off from corrosion leaving only the rivets behind It has the dash plate and it's mostly original is the chassis ID the same as the tub? will I have problems when it comes to registering it with the dvla? Any help would be appreciated

andy

Dont quote me on this as I'm a GPW guy but I think the tub number is different to the frame number but the number on the ID plate I think is the chassis number and not the body number.

Brilliant the chap gets back from holiday Thursday so fingers crossed I can go double check everything is in order and collect it, il be sure to start a thread on my restoration aswell thankyou for your help it's put my mind at ease

Brilliant the chap gets back from holiday Thursday so fingers crossed I can go double check everything is in order and collect it, il be sure to start a thread on my restoration aswell thankyou for your help it's put my mind at ease

Good luck completing the deal and look forward to following your thread in the restoration forum

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

time to add some more to this tale

the jeep has been delivered the body appears to be '43, bonnet, seats radiator and some other pieces slat grill. axles and other bits unconfirmed yet, as mentioned before chassis plate has gone just 2 rusty pins left. the tub plates are original but are for a slat grill 113***. NOVA form has the incorrect vin on 1132*** and when I emailed them to say there was an error on the NOVA form I got this reply

"It would appear that the vehicle is already on the NOVA system with the correct VIN i.e, 113***. It was applied for by the original importer.

The reason we were able to put it on and the fact it didn't come up as already on was due to the incorrect VIN being included.

In this instance, you would just go ahead and register the vehicle. The DVLA will not require a NOVA reference because it will already show up on the system."

I have had confirmation as to this jeep existing in the UK in the 70's is it still in the UK? or was it exported?

to say im worried is to say the least I was looking to restore this to a slat grill I have found a original body to repair but im worried about spending any time or money on this project

Edited by apeers

the jeep has been delivered the frame and body is a '43, bonnet seats and some other pieces slat grill axles and other bits unconfirmed yet as mentioned chassis plate gone just 2 rusty pins left. the tub plates are original but are for a slat grill 113097. NOVA form has the incorrect vin on 1132097 and when I emailed them to say there was an error on the NOVA form I got this reply

"It would appear that the vehicle is already on the NOVA system with the correct VIN i.e, 113097. It was applied for by the original importer.

The reason we were able to put it on and the fact it didn't come up as already on was due to the incorrect VIN being included.

In this instance, you would just go ahead and register the vehicle. The DVLA will not require a NOVA reference because it will already show up on the system."

I have had confirmation as to this jeep existing in the UK in the 70's is it still in the UK? or was it exported?

to say im worried is to say the least

I think you are correct to be worried

Firstly if there is no tag with a chassis number it will be near impossible to verify that the chassis number for an age related plate

The best I think you will have is a Q plate and a DVLA issued VIN Number

I may be wrong, I am often am!!

the jeep has been delivered the body appears to be '43, bonnet, seats radiator and some other pieces slat grill. axles and other bits unconfirmed yet, as mentioned before chassis plate has gone just 2 rusty pins left. the tub plates are original but are for a slat grill 113097. NOVA form has the incorrect vin on 1132097 and when I emailed them to say there was an error on the NOVA form I got this reply

"It would appear that the vehicle is already on the NOVA system with the correct VIN i.e, 113097. It was applied for by the original importer.

to say im worried is to say the least I was looking to restore this to a slat grill I have found a original body to repair but im worried about spending any time or money on this project

A couple of years ago I was contacted by Wiltshire police with regard to a Jeep that had been bought by a local person from a farm sale where the Jeep had been since 1946, the new owner had contacted DVLA for a replacement V5 and was told that a Jeep with the same chassis number and registration was in Lincolnshire, This is why the police were involved.

When I inspected the Jeep I found that the chassis plate was untouched and the dashboard data plate was missing except for the bottom left corner.

I was then shown photos of the Jeep in Lincolnshire, this had a newly made chassis plate which was nearly the right shape but the wrong size and shape numbers, and a data plate with the bottom left corner missing.

The police told me that the Jeep in Lincolnshire was bought from a major Jeep dealer, and was built around the data plate from the Wiltshire Jeep, how they came by that data plate I don't know but judging by the faded paint where it should have been it had been missing for a long time. I would suggest that you contact DVLA and ask if they could contact the last registered owner. I your Jeep has been imported recently where did it come from?

Thanks for the replys guys the bill of sale is from Georgia USA and that all matches the serial so your saying fill out a v888 form and hope for the best if not then storm back to the chap I bought it off and demand my money back