RN vehicle markings

Bigjohn

Question

Could anyone give me some guidance on the way that the Royal Navy would have marked vehicles that they used ashore in Europe during WW2?

So far I have seen a couple of examples with a four or five digit number followed by the letters "RN" but also two four digits with RN in the middle. I'm not sure which is correct.

I have also seen at least one vehicle with an anchor symbol stencilled on in white. Is this correct for all RN vehicles or were other markings used?

I thought I'd throw myself at the collective mercy of the great and good on this forum as I'm struggling to find much information on this.

Thanks folks!

10 answers to this question

As I related in the link in the previous post, many years ago (35) I was involved in the restoration of a 1943 Morris Commercial C4 and on rubbing down the doors it revealed the RN serial number, with RN following the numbers. The unit designation (abbreviation) was below the serial number, as seen in the vehicles in the previous thread.

On Maple Leaf Up there is a thread on RN vehicles, with may good pictures:

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5064&highlight=Royal+Navy+vehicles

Incidentally on various websites there has been a bit of discussion concerning RN vehicle colours, with evidence that in and around UNITED KINGDOM bases pre-war and early war period vehicles were light battleship grey often with white mudguards, and this then changed to 'same as the Army colour scheme' for vehicles delivered in wartime.

Certainly any RN vehicles used abroad such as following D-Day or in the Med were painted typically in Army camo applicable to the location and scheme in use at the time. At some time much later in the war (and postwar) dark Navy Blue came in to use and has been seen of aircraft tugs but that might be that they were painted that colour for USN use before being diverted to UK.

Any thoughts on the stencilled anchor motif? I've seen it in a circle and not in a circle but I don't know if that's significant.

The anchor symbol was used by 'Combined opps' and 'Beach units'. But I think the white is not correct? The anchor was also used by some special forces units. Ron

scan-170101-0001.jpg

The anchor symbol was used by 'Combined opps' and 'Beach units'. But I think the white is not correct? The anchor was also used by some special forces units. Ron

Ron, that's absolutely fantastic and just the sort of information I've been looking for. Can I ask where you found it?