Wheatcroft collection acquisition of prototype german SPG from Duxford IWM

Oxford spectator

Question

Sorry i could not fit the question into the above title.

How did the Wheatcroft collection go about acquiring the Alkett/Rhinemetall-Borsig - 10.5cm leFH 18/40/2 auf Geschuetzwagen III/IV from the Imperial war museum group?

From what i gather the Museum had sent it off to be restored by the Wheatcroft collection, however since that point the German SPG prototype has not been seen at the museum, instead now seemingly being owned by the Wheatcroft collection.

Could anyone shed light as to why the museum never bought it back?

2 answers to this question

I do not know the full history of the vehicle in question, but are you sure it was owned by IWM Duxford, a number of the vehicles displayed in the land warfare hall where/are owned by private individuals, and only loaned to the museum.

E.g. The Pz 4 Ausf. D that was displayed , was sold by its owner to the Australian artillery and armour museum and is currently being restored by C&C military.

I do not know the full history of the vehicle in question, but are you sure it was owned by IWM Duxford, a number of the vehicles displayed in the land warfare hall where/are owned by private individuals, and only loaned to the museum.

E.g. The Pz 4 Ausf. D that was displayed , was sold by its owner to the Australian artillery and armour museum and is currently being restored by C&C military.

My source of information comes from the following website http://preservedtanks.com/Profile.aspx?UniqueID=191&Select=4 as well as bits of i have read elsewhere. Which if you can read stated the tank was initially sat outside Gamecock barracks until being taken to the Imperial War Museum in London, and subsequently to Duxford (Then Wheatcroft)

I don't know how reliable said website is mind you, but this seem to be the only one that provides information as to where it has been. I am hoping some user on here could shed some light as to why the tank ended up in private collectors hands when it seemingly had never been so in the past.