legality of early eighties smoothbored weapons

terryb

Presumably they would now require a Sec 1 or Sec 5 FAC to possess, depending on what they were?

I was just thinking "the rifles ought to be OK" until I realised that they probably all have detachable magazines, so even the "prison guard" Lee Enfields in .410 Musket will be Section 1 unless the magazine has been restricted and welded in place.

Assume the worst: anything manually operated originally will most likely be back in Section 1, everything else is almost certainly Section 5. (All the ridiculous pistol conversions are definitely s.5 - they seemed to be tailor made for criminal conversion with a hacksaw and file.)

Chris.

It is the number of shots held in the magazine. If more than 1 in chamber and 2 in magazine, they are now section 1 . Best answer if you are a member of a shooting organisation, and the Sportsman Assocation provide 3rd party insurance for military and re-enactment as part of membership, ask them.

And, again in the late 1970's / early 1980's smoothbored Bren guns were being sold, converted to single shot .410. Apparently the barrel had to be lengthened slightly [?] Shotgun barrel must be smooth bored and in excess of 24 inches.

The Firearms [Ammendment] Act 1988 made the registration of shotguns mandatory [individual shotguns had now to be listed on the licence holders certificate by maker and serial number. Prior to this a Shotgun Licence holder did not have to list the weapons on his/her licence.

The result of this was a LOT of shotguns were not registered/listed and so went 'underground' !

I wonder what became of the 50 odd Boyds anti tank guns sold in Exchange and Mart in 1977/8 shot gun licence required!

:cool2:

Well i I can tell you I have one of them, unfortunately it was deactivated when the law changed. I'm told the Boyd may be placed on the obsolete caliber list in the future.

And, again in the late 1970's / early 1980's smoothbored Bren guns were being sold, converted to single shot .410. Apparently the barrel had to be lengthened slightly [?] Shotgun barrel must be smooth bored and in excess of 24 inches.

The Firearms [Ammendment] Act 1988 made the registration of shotguns mandatory [individual shotguns had now to be listed on the licence holders certificate by maker and serial number. Prior to this a Shotgun Licence holder did not have to list the weapons on his/her licence.

The result of this was a LOT of shotguns were not registered/listed and so went 'underground' !

Again, I have one of these too, I also have what was once a Semi Auto converted Bren Mk1. They have both since been deactivated. The Semi Bren was quite interesting as with changing out some trigger components and removing the pin welded to the frame (to stop the full auto position) it would have been easily retuned to Auto.

I have a .410 bored Lee Enfield .303.

Smoothbore, mag welded and single shot only. Great fun little gun that I have used for clays, rabbit and pigeon. No recoil at all as it is very heavy compared to the cartridge it now fires. It even came with sling and bayonet but I have never has to use the blade to finish off anything!