Dodge WC 51 markings. PHOTO? what is this and is it an official marking....

WOMBLE

I came across a genuine colour WW2 photo (I think). I'm in the process of looking for markings for my WC51 and I also am a keen user of Vintage WW1 and WW2 photographic film equipment. When I saw this I reckon I can combine the 2 things. The Dodge seems to have a PHOTO marking on bumper. This vehicle could belong to the photographer who took this picture. If anyone knows of a Dodge that was used by War correspondents or photographers, I would be very grateful of info.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]121707[/ATTACH]

a83074912a68d47402441d9efd3a89c0 2.jpg

My pictures are on the web and details of camera equipment. Google "Ikonta Bloke"

Well we like a challenge :-D

First things first I can see what looks like a rear fender, meaning that is a WC56 rather than a WC51. The truck could be anything from late '42 to '45.

Front bumper, from the left;

What looks like a 9 in a red circle I reckon could be a 3 in a painted circle, as a painted bridge rating plate.

3A = 3rd Army ( Patton's ? )

16xxx = no idea, looks like it may end in S for Signal Corp

A = no idea

PHOTO = official photographer

6 = vehicle 6

Edited by Gordon_M

Well we like a challenge :-D

First things first I can see what looks like a rear fender, meaning that is a WC56 rather than a WC51. The truck could be anything from late '42 to '45.

Front bumper, from the left;

What looks like a 9 in a red circle I reckon could be a 3 in a painted circle, as a painted bridge rating plate.

3A = 3rd Army ( Patton's ? )

16xxx = no idea, looks like it may end in S for Signal Corp

A = no idea

PHOTO = official photographer

6 = vehicle 6

You're right. It is a 56. I just realised the A is a star covered by the rope.

Army official photographers were usually Signal Corps so - right again

Thanks for your excellent response.

Highly recomend watching film "D-Day to Berlin" the story of Hollywood film director George Stevens own personal 16mm colour film that he shot whilst officially filming the last years of WW2, his group known as "the Stevens Irregulars" used Jeeps and Dodges too

http://www.openculture.com/2012/11/normandy_invasion_captured_on_16_mm_kodachrome_film.html click on the film clip

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-Day-D-Day-To-Berlin-George-Stevens-NEW-Region-2-DVD-/291769835229?hash=item43eed65edd:g:J3UAAOSw~uhUnuMT

Edited by Nick Johns

You're right. It is a 56. I just realised the A is a star covered by the rope.

Army official photographers were usually Signal Corps so - right again

Thanks for your excellent response.

You are right about the star, should have spotted that. I think D-Day to Berlin could be the right time period too. I wonder if that truck was following the controversial General for news purposes? That would fit too, and explain the WC56 rather than something more humble.

3rd Army 166th Signals maybe?

http://www.combatcamera.be/combat-photography-units/166th-signal-photographic-company/

Edited by Gordon_M

You are right about the star, should have spotted that. I think D-Day to Berlin could be the right time period too. I wonder if that truck was following the controversial General for new purposes? That would fit too, and explain the WC56 rather than something more humble.

3rd Army 166th Signals maybe?

http://www.combatcamera.be/combat-photography-units/166th-signal-photographic-company/

great stuff. ta

Just seen this, here's a few images of Signal Corps photo Dodge WC51's and my recreation of a WC51 of the 167th Signal company for my trip to Normandy in 2014. The original photos are courtesy of Military Mashup and could maybe be taken in Germany in 1945?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by beepbeep

Just seen this, here's a few images of Signal Corps photo Dodge WC51's and my recreation of a WC51 of the 167th Signal company for my trip to Normandy in 2014. The original photos are courtesy of Military Mashup and could maybe be taken in Germany in 1945?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]121786[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]121787[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]121788[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]121789[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]121790[/ATTACH]

Photo 30 was well covered...... thanks for these. Have you more on yours in detail... cheers

Are you camera crazies too........?

photo 30.jpg

phot30a.jpg

Highly recomend watching film "D-Day to Berlin" the story of Hollywood film director George Stevens own personal 16mm colour film that he shot whilst officially filming the last years of WW2, his group known as "the Stevens Irregulars" used Jeeps and Dodges too

http://www.openculture.com/2012/11/normandy_invasion_captured_on_16_mm_kodachrome_film.html click on the film clip

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-Day-D-Day-To-Berlin-George-Stevens-NEW-Region-2-DVD-/291769835229?hash=item43eed65edd:g:J3UAAOSw~uhUnuMT

thanks Nick. Beautiful stuff

Photo 30 was well covered...... thanks for these. Have you more on yours in detail... cheers

Are you camera crazies too........?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]121810[/ATTACH]

Not a huge amount more to tell about my Dodge...... I have a great interest in US Signal Corps as my dad served in North Africa and Italy as a linesman with the Royal Signals and was attached to the US 5th Army. Ultimately I want to mark my truck up as a unit that would have been in Italy at the time my Dad was there but for my trip to Normandy in 2014 I wanted to mark the truck up in markings of a Signal Corps company that would have been there in '44. I found the photos I posted above and marked my truck up as 'PHOTO 30' as my own Dodge is the same down to the position of the Jerry can, rifle rack and pioneer rack. After coming back from Normandy I discovered that 'PHOTO 30' was built within days of my own WC51 and now, thanks to your photo above (which I've now found online) I now know that the driver was Eddie Urban and that he probably trained at Camp Crowder! Here's a couple of photos, the first taken in Normandy with a period camera and the other, a Camp Crowder cushion cover I picked up on eBay last year

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not a huge amount more to tell about my Dodge...... I have a great interest in US Signal Corps as my dad served in North Africa and Italy as a linesman with the Royal Signals and was attached to the US 5th Army. Ultimately I want to mark my truck up as a unit that would have been in Italy at the time my Dad was there but for my trip to Normandy in 2014 I wanted to mark the truck up in markings of a Signal Corps company that would have been there in '44. I found the photos I posted above and marked my truck up as 'PHOTO 30' as my own Dodge is the same down to the position of the Jerry can, rifle rack and pioneer rack. After coming back from Normandy I discovered that 'PHOTO 30' was built within days of my own WC51 and now, thanks to your photo above (which I've now found online) I now know that the driver was Eddie Urban and that he probably trained at Camp Crowder! Here's a couple of photos, the first taken in Normandy with a period camera and the other, a Camp Crowder cushion cover I picked up on eBay last year

[ATTACH=CONFIG]121813[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]121814[/ATTACH]

astonishing that I have learnt so much from the start of this thread. i don't blame you reproducing Photo 30 - it makes a great subject. It was my first choice for marking my WC.

(Another of Eddie Urban)?

eddie urban.jpg

RetrieveAsset (1).jpg

Pictured in front from left to right are: Walt MacDonald and Eddie Urban ( Eddie was a movie man). In the middle is Gene Coogan; at the right is J Malan Heslop; behind from left to right are Arnold Samuelson and John O'Brien.

If you ever need correct props, cameras (working or prop)and photo equipment and spares, I have the lot especially Graflex and will always help the genuine Signal Corps and War correspondent enthusiast. (google "ikonta bloke")

Hope to see you out there in your lovely WC

news flash!

J Malan Heslop archive is at Brigham Young University Website. 80 pages of stunning photos. All of his output digitised. Enjoy

RetrieveAsset (2).jpg

Bride_groom_and_others_in_Jeep.jpg

Army_vehicle_and_two_men.jpg

Army_tank.jpg

Army_trucks_and_logs.jpg

Heslop_01.jpg

Edited by WOMBLE

Worth noting that despite the WC being full of stuff, the Pioneer Tool Rack has still been relocated to the inside of the tailgate panel.

Yes, I did that with mine. I was told it was English practice. One thing it does do is allow the tailgate to come fully down, easier for loading.

astonishing that I have learnt so much from the start of this thread. i don't blame you reproducing Photo 30 - it makes a great subject. It was my first choice for marking my WC.

(Another of Eddie Urban)?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]121878[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]121879[/ATTACH]

Pictured in front from left to right are: Walt MacDonald and Eddie Urban ( Eddie was a movie man). In the middle is Gene Coogan; at the right is J Malan Heslop; behind from left to right are Arnold Samuelson and John O'Brien.

If you ever need correct props, cameras (working or prop)and photo equipment and spares, I have the lot especially Graflex and will always help the genuine Signal Corps and War correspondent enthusiast. (google "ikonta bloke")

Hope to see you out there in your lovely WC

news flash!

J Malan Heslop archive is at Brigham Young University Website. 80 pages of stunning photos. All of his output digitised. Enjoy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]121917[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]121918[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]121919[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]121920[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]121921[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]121922[/ATTACH]

very kind of you and thanks for the photos. That's what I love about this hobby, the history and stories behind our trucks and the great people you meet through owning them. My Dodge was laid up for most of 2016 so I'm aiming to make it to some shows this year......hope to see you somewhere!

chris