Reamers ww1 era and straight edge possibly RAF

Ed Batchelor

During a recent request to rehome some workshop equipment I came across a set of reamers which I'm sure will be ex WD and a long (40") straight edge in a wooden box that judging by the markings is connected with the RAF. They would all have been bought from our local army surplus dealer at one time I'm sure. Any information on the straight edge as to its original purpose would be great.

20161211_191049.jpg

20161211_191035.jpg

20161211_192006.jpg

20161211_212027.jpg

20161211_212033.jpg

RAE Bedford was, as the name suggests, an outpost of the Royal Aircraft Establishment (having been a WW2 RAF base) where a lot of aircraft experimental work was carried out, including carrier and VSTOL development.

Given the RAE Bedford insp. dept. plaque it's probably for general mechanical / engineering inspection work, rather than a specific purpose?

I think the 'straight edge' is what it says on the box, a scale rather than an edge. Typically the 184/61 marking would mean it was the 184th scale made in 1961, and that date would match the plastic label plate type.

I would expect the reamers and handles to have manufacturers marks, which may tell us more. It is quite possible they are over a hundred years old, per the stamping, and I'd guess they are good for a while yet. One thing you might try is to lift out the wooden insert that all the reamers are held in, just in case there is an invoice, or a guarantee form, loose under neath it.

I don't think either have a specific purpose other than general engineering tooling, but nice items regardless.

Edited by Gordon_M

I think the 'straight edge' is what it says on the box, a scale rather than an edge. Typically the 184/61 marking would mean it was the 184th scale made in 1961, and that date would match the plastic label plate type.

I think the 184/61 is an item number of the makers, E.R. Watts, as their company name changed in 1948 so likely this item is earlier than 1961.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/E._R._Watts_and_Son