1942 Humber Armoured Car MK IV "barn find"

lssah2025

True barn find, one owner for 35 years, he bought it from the Portuguese military and then parked it, it is very complete and in a good nick, he started taking it apart a few years ago for a refresh. Ended up getting rid of the Humber Scout Car, since I have always fancied the Humber heavy.....plus it has a turret and goes boom...

.15592520_10211357580845885_806637578_n.jpg

15577643_10211357579245845_1332357460_n.jpg

15591914_10211357580005864_1282191117_n.jpg

15592051_10211357576405774_1475237996_n.jpg

15592248_10211357580365873_1632173535_n.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

15555863_10211357572325672_1723261589_n.jpg

15555886_10211357574445725_1188578247_n.jpg

15591960_10211357574925737_783336935_n.jpg

15592280_10211357581725907_1313583831_n.jpg

Edited by lssah2025

Cheers mate, still figuring out what to do with her, she will goto Holland first, for maybe some work there and then maybe to the US, or she may sit for a year or so and do some events over there. If she doesn't have the optics, then I will definitely take it...Cant wait to see the other toys you have come to life!!

going to be a good year for british tanks :)

Considering the war effort of the Brits in WW2 its a shame so few (heavy) vehicles are still around, or even worse the apparent disinterest in the Brits themselves to portray the WW2 Briisht soldier.

Guess US is easyer or more glamorous? (Yes I portray mainly US but also UK)

The world would be up in arms if Sherman hulks would be scrapped, hell it wouldn't even be considered....well you know the Chgurchill's story..

So hats of to those who show the Brits were involved in the war and honor them by restoring/driving the vehicles or portray the soldier by wearing a BD...

Sorry, if this sounds a bit political, pedantic or just meddling.

I agree, but for Brit/Canadian collecting in the USA, it has to do more with spares and access I think, we have tons of US vehicles and parts available, but at the same time it is the USA, I agree I would like to see more British vehicles saved, but we can only do so much, need to get more of the younger generation interested in saving them too...but as you can see, there are still plenty of vehicles sitting out there, that owners bought 20-40 years ago and they are sitting around.

Edited by lssah2025

I agree, but for Brit/Canadian collecting in the USA, it has to do more with spares and access I think, we have tons of US vehicles and parts available, but at the same time it is the USA, I agree I would like to see more British vehicles saved, but we can only do so much, need to get more of the younger generation interested in saving them too...but as you can see, there are still plenty of vehicles sitting gout there, that owners bought 20-40 years ago and they are sitting around.

I can imagine in the US Brit stuff is rarer.

But I was refering more to the UK itself and also my own country where the Commonwealth which was predominatly liberated by Commonwealth troops.

Considering the war effort of the Brits in WW2 its a shame so few (heavy) vehicles are still around, or even worse the apparent disinterest in the Brits themselves to portray the WW2 British soldier.

Guess US is easier or more glamorous? (Yes I portray mainly US but also UK)... So hats off to those who show the Brits were involved in the war and honor them by restoring/driving the vehicles or portray the soldier...

Those who have been involved in the hobby longer than I might have a perspective on this, but for me, back in the '90s there was a lot of British softskin, at least, about; but there seemed to be a big change when large quantities of Scandinavian etc. reserve stock, pretty much all US built, was released. I think there's also a Hollywood-isation of things - I don't think you're far off when you refer to 'more glamorous'.

A lot of the British built stuff must still be around, somewhere - I find it difficult to believe that vehicles that made it into preservation and survived until the mid to late '90s have been scrapped since.

The world would be up in arms if Sherman hulks would be scrapped, hell it wouldn't even be considered....well you know the Churchill's story..

Hence the aim of some of us to change things ... but that's for Rick to fill in the details, I think.

I've not been collecting vehicles long but in my short experience I have found that WW2 British stuff is difficult to find spares for and also expensive. Since having my 1944 dodge WC51 I found it quite easy to source spares for it at very reasonable prices. I have found that collecting anything military is getting more expensive as the years go by. Just my opinion but I'm still a novice with regards to WW2 vehicles.

guys don't get me started on the lack of brit armour. tis the season of good will after all :)

all i can say is 2017 is going to be a good year for brit armour (unless the EU bans tank ownership as it plans to do) anyway let us see what the new year brings :cool2:

It's a numbers game, they built a hell of a lot of Dodges, Jeeps and GMC's. Like the Tilly, after the war and in al the old black and white films you see thousands of Tilly's with every farmer , builder and plumber having one. They just got worked to death and thrown away when the bright shiny new toy came along. As for prices, not long back ex military Series 3 were available for about £500, running, now the price is eye popping!

The vehicles that survive in quantity do so for a reason i.e. the US MAP Scheme providing huge quantities of US war-time vehicles to most European Armies. These were released during the 1980's to flood the market. I can remember previous to this basket case American vehicles being restored which would get scraped now.

With British vehicles anything which survived in service into the 1960's/70's like Daimler Dingo's/ Armoured Cars, Leyland Hippo's and the entire Bedford range are relatively common, in many cases going straight into preservation. Anything which did not survive into post-war service are generally rare.

The only reason Humber Armoured Cars have survived in quantity is because of the batch which came out of Portugal during the 1980's along with the Grizzly's, Sextons, Fox Armoured Cars, 3.7" AA Guns and Bofors Guns etc. Just a pity so much stuff also got cut up in Portugal and was never saved.

• 2 weeks later...

I will start a resto set ( when the work begins in the resto forum), also will be searching for some spares and CES kit.

1) Wireless aerial carrier (for side)

2) 5 11x20 Track Grip or equivalent (has anyone used these tyres?)

http://www.tirexusa.com/simex/trbias.html

TT505 (looks promising), ST66 or ST168

3) Besa Ammo tins

4) vision blocks

5) 2 Essex fire extinguishers (I might have a repro still in the US, if so, I might end up making some repro ones)

Edited by lssah2025

You will be looking for 11:00X20 tyres as 10.50's have probably not been manufactured for 60 years. You will however have to keep one 10.50 as a spare as I could not fit an 11:00 on the side of my Humber. Once again British Track Grip 11:00 tyres have not been made for about 40 years so you will probably be looking at American Bar Grips. As always in theory Simex have all the old Dunlop moulds but try making them manufacture any.