Ferret GCP pivot problems

Lewis Garner

Hello guys,

Wondering if anyone has ever had any trouble with the gear change pedal pivot shaft underneath the gearbox? I have a problem on ours in that the shaft has actually worked its way out of one of its holders and upon pressing the pedal, bent one of them due to the mechanical advantage 'pulling' the shaft toward the front of the vehicle. It's a frustrating fault as obviously it could be a relatively easy fix, but just in a pain of a place!

Hi Lewis,

I think you will find the pin has a hole in it and it should have been secured with a grooved pin (Mills pin). Just noticed that you can see the hole for the grooved pin in the bracket.

Don't worry about all the crap in there, when I worked on these when they were in-service, they were worse than that! Only bonus was finding coins under it all, downside, they were usually German!

regards, Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant
hole in bracket showing

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your reply. Looking at it more closely you are absolutely right. I'm hoping it'll be possible to remove the bracket from the hull and repair it, but if the gearbox has to come out to aid access it is not really a problem anyway, as I have a spare recon gearbox sitting under the bench waiting to be put in. Wold definitely be a chance to find some aging German currency too :-D

Hello guys, thanks for the replies. That makes me feel a bit better!

I removed the battery box last night to gain better access, I notice the handbrake cable runs through a hole in the bracket. Presumably this can be separated at the adjuster next to it and pulled back through? The linkages etc. don't look to be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello chaps,

Bit of an update on things. I managed to get the bracket out with some difficulty. Carefully heated it at work and bent it back, unfortunately it did develop a hairline crack on the inner corner so I heated it again, ground it out and put a few blobs of weld in there. Fabricated a new pin out of some half inch stainless bar.

The plan isn't to put it all back in yet as I think it's worth giving the hull a tart up whilst everything is out. Bit of a pain of a job but worth doing

• 1 month later...
Cheers Al, it's getting there. Had a bit of a setback in that the forward/reverse pivot had seized due to the ravages of time but it's all sorted now. Hoping to get some batteries in it this evening and go for the maiden voyage!

Check all fluids and pedal up correctly before moving ;)