AEC Militant MKI 1966 (38EP19)

Hutch3674

Good day again Gents,

having spent the last few days deep in thought about what I will be doing to my Millitant on my return in the New year, after looking at my Job / Questions list, I have come up with 3 questions to quiz my fellow Militant owners with :-

1. Tyre pressures all round 60 PSI? (Advised by two Milly owners)

2. Do the brake drums come straight off after the wheel has been removed, or do they require a puller type tool or some mild persuasion?

3. On my two rear axles around the (4) brake drums, there are rings, I thought these rings were like scraper rings to keep mud to a minimum, The MOT inspector thought that they should be welded up, I can see from photos on 0-5-2 thread that they are welded at various points around the drum. Do they serve any purpose and should I follow the same pattern prior to my next MOT?

Once again Gents, many thanks in advance

Hutch

Edited by Hutch3674

Good day again Gents,

having spent the last few days deep in thought about what I will be doing to my Millitant on my return in the New year, after looking at my Job / Questions list, I have come up with 3 questions to quiz my fellow Militant owners with :-

1. Tyre pressures all round 60 PSI? (Advised by two Milly owners)

2. Do the brake drums come straight off after the wheel has been removed, or do they require a puller type tool or some mild persuasion?

3. On my two rear axles around the (4) brake drums, there are rings, I thought these rings were like scraper rings to keep mud to a minimum, The MOT inspector thought that they should be welded up, I can see from photos on 0-5-2 thread that they are welded at various points around the drum. Do they serve any purpose and should I follow the same pattern prior to my next MOT?

Once again Gents, many thanks in advance

Hutch

Do you mean these:

attachment.php?attachmentid=92426&d=1402951991

?

In an earlier image, it's noticeable at least one isn't so well attached:

attachment.php?attachmentid=94162&d=1405277824

Yep That's them, The last photo of the rear right wheel station is pretty much the condition of all my brake drums. I will get them welded up before April, and that will be the end of this issue. Cheers & thanks again.

Hutch

Do you mean these:

attachment.php?attachmentid=92426&d=1402951991

?

In an earlier image, it's noticeable at least one isn't so well attached:

attachment.php?attachmentid=94162&d=1405277824

Bands are indeed anti squeal measures and should be welded on. The ones on my Milly (which I hasten to add are now somewhat more secure than they were originally) are actually tubes which are full of what appears to be sand. I found this out when I welded a hole in one of them while attaching it to the drum.

Speaking of drums, they are secured to the hub by 4 studs with nuts on

216 O-S new.jpg

You can see the one of the studs in this view. When you fit the road wheel you must ensure the extra holes in the wheel line up with the drum studs otherwise it will not sit right.

Once the nuts are removed the drums come off fairly easily, but there are holes for screwing jacking bolts in which will persuade the most stubborn drum to move. Bolts to use are 1/2" UNC, which while they look quite like M12 they are very different.