RLC Contract Ledgers

DWS

Question

I was wondering what kind of information is contained in the Vehicle Contract Ledger Pages held by the RLC Museum? Not knowing a lot about Army documents and forms I was wondering if anyone could advise. The image on their website doesn't give a lot away (see below).

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 12.35.36.jpg

4 answers to this question

what you see is very much the lay out the main ledgers never went to the RLC

Hi

So are the Main Ledgers covering motorcycle contracts in the 1960s/1970s available anywhere?

Starting out on research, it is very difficult to know exactly what IS available referring to RAF/Army/MoD Vehicle Contracts for BSA motorcycles in the 196os and 1970s and where one should look. Any help on this subject would be very welcome.

Edited by DWS

Starting out on research, it is very difficult to know exactly what IS available referring to RAF/Army/MoD Vehicle Contracts for BSA motorcycles in the 196os and 1970s and where one should look. Any help on this subject would be very welcome.

It depends on what information you want from the Contract records, but the BSA Owners Club have access to the BSA factory records for their motorcycles.

It depends on what information you want from the Contract records, but the BSA Owners Club have access to the BSA factory records for their motorcycles.

Sadly the only factory documents the BSA Owners Club have are the Despatch Ledgers.

The information I am looking for is the original specifications for the 135 RAF BSA WD B40GR machines built in four contracts between 1968 and 1970. Being new to the Army side of the research I am unsure what, and what is not, available in the form of these types of records as I assume prior to being actually issued to the RAF the Army handled the ordering, specification, despatch and delivery of the machines and all documentation relating to them.

The points of all this? To clarify and document the significant differences between the Army and RAF versions.

For the record I already have copies of the 135 RAF MT Vehicle Record Cards for these machines from the RAF Museum at Hendon.