Dodge WC51 Weapons Carrier.

DFC1943Fl.Lt.

:D I got some light plastic sheets used for advert boards and slipped it under the canvas. Stops the water pooling.

Yes Tony been thinking about going down that road, in two minds as I like to see the canvas look natural over the hoops as opposed to it looking flat between them. How does yours look between the hoops?

As the plastic is thin it just looks like the canvas has been pulled taught. You don't notice anything. I also made a frame from scrap 2 by 1 and a picie of light ply. Delibratley used old timber so it looks like a field modification to fit behind the drivers and passengers seats to hold the front section up. The under canvas plastic is strapped on with a few small cable ties, though hairy string would probably be more period. I normally run front canvas off back canvas sides rolled up and strapped, nobody ever notices. As for plugs I always put copper grease on the threads anyway and smear a bit around the outside, keeps water out and means they don't stick. Easy enough to make a couple of doors, but so far I've never come up with satifactory windows. Tried perspex and such but have never managed a decent frame. If there is one at W&P and not eye watering, buy a tank suit of fishing suit.I deal for Winter Dodging. Especially if it has lower leg pockets, easy to get at whilst driving.

Edited by Tony B

As the plastic is thin it just looks like the canvas has been pulled taught. You don't notice anything. I also made a frame from scrap 2 by 1 and a picie of light ply. Delibratley used old timber so it looks like a field modification to fit behind the drivers and passengers seats to hold the front section up. The under canvas plastic is strapped on with a few small cable ties, though hairy string would probably be more period. I normally run front canvas off back canvas sides rolled up and strapped, nobody ever notices. As for plugs I always put copper grease on the threads anyway and smear a bit around the outside, keeps water out and means they don't stick. Easy enough to make a couple of doors, but so far I've never come up with satifactory windows. Tried perspex and such but have never managed a decent frame. If there is one at W&P and not eye watering, buy a tank suit of fishing suit.I deal for Winter Dodging. Especially if it has lower leg pockets, easy to get at whilst driving.

Tank suits (even post war) are quit expensive.

Especially if your 6 feet tall.

• 3 months later...
20 hours ago, gas 44 said:

I thought walk through versions were later

You refer to the ability to get in the cab on the left side through the gap between wheel and body.

Yes, that's a leter feature. But it is possible the chassis and cab is early and refitted with a later body.

• 3 years later...
On 12/17/2020 at 1:23 PM, Salty said:

I have  a 1944 wc 51 with German badges on the dash.Does anyone know why that would be on an american military vehicle.

You should have started a new thread with this query but quick answer is a lot of US vehicles were rebuilt post war in France, Germany and the UK. My own 1944 WC51 was rebuilt in Germany in 1953 but has a US Ordnance rebuild plate on the dash and a German plate on the bed