Mack NM

MadMack

Hello everyone,

We have recently purchased a Mack NM-7 and would love to know more about its history. We have been told that our vehicle was supplied during the war to Rutland Council, Great Britain for use as a snow plow on the lend lease scheme. The council have kept and maintained it all its life with the vehicle seeing very little use and is therefore in exceptional original condition. In more recent years until purchased by myself it was placed on display in the council museum. We have been struggling to find any other Mack NMs in the country so would love to hear from anyone that has one or could tell us a bit more about these fantastic vehicles! Would very much like to track down any spares for this vehicle as we do intend to use it. If anyone could point us in the right direction for some 10.00 x 22 tyres that would be ideal!

Best Wishes

Ryan

Mack.jpg

• Like 1

We have been told that our vehicle was supplied during the war to Rutland Council, Great Britain for use as a snow plow on the lend lease scheme.

This may be two stories confused. Is it more likely that it was supplied under lend-lease, but converted as a snowplough post war when disposed of by the WD? There was a firm calling themselves Mack Trucks who did a lot of snowplough and other conversions of surplus Macks, and I believe a number were also bought direct by local authorities - there were some such survivors in Scotland.

This may be two stories confused. Is it more likely that it was supplied under lend-lease, but converted as a snowplough post war when disposed of by the WD? There was a firm calling themselves Mack Trucks who did a lot of snowplough and other conversions of surplus Macks, and I believe a number were also bought direct by local authorities - there were some such survivors in Scotland.

Agreed, I have not heard of any equipment being supplied directly to local authorities. In fact the only lend lease vehicles I have come across that were not directly issued to the military were the FWD CU-COEs supplied to timber companies for extraction and transport. There will no doubt be other examples of which I am unaware.

It is much more likely that your truck was purchased by the council post-war upon de-mob and then converted.

The other one which springs immediately to mind is the ex-Billy Smarts NM at the Bentley Widfowl Trust's Motor Museum in Sussex. There is a forum thread here about it: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?38516-Billy-Smart-s-Mack-at-Bentley-Wildfowl-and-Motor-Museum

You should also speak to Geoff Maskell from Durham who was known as 'Mr Mack' due to the number of their trucks he has had over the years. I can PM you his contact details if you are interested and he will no doubt be able to put you in touch with other owners.

Regards - MG

Agreed, I have not heard of any equipment being supplied directly to local authorities. In fact the only lend lease vehicles I have come across that were not directly issued to the military were the FWD CU-COEs supplied to timber companies for extraction and transport. There will no doubt be other examples of which I am unaware.

It is much more likely that your truck was purchased by the council post-war upon de-mob and then converted.

The other one which springs immediately to mind is the ex-Billy Smarts NM at the Bentley Widfowl Trust's Motor Museum in Sussex. There is a forum thread here about it: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?38516-Billy-Smart-s-Mack-at-Bentley-Wildfowl-and-Motor-Museum

You should also speak to Geoff Maskell from Durham who was known as 'Mr Mack' due to the number of their trucks he has had over the years. I can PM you his contact details if you are interested and he will no doubt be able to put you in touch with other owners.

Regards - MG

Yes they where supplied to councils for gritting and snow ploughing after the war from surplus , i've got a couple and there area couple with the plows fitted still about.

Some US equipment (particularly crawlers and other tractors) were provided to the Ministry of Supply and were then issued to War Ag and other outlets.

I owned an Mack that had come across in 1940 and had been used along with 9 others in a quarry in Oxfordshire.

I would venture, however, that yours came to be in civilian use after having been used by the Army. You should be able to find out from the chassis number and asking the RLC museum.

Has it still got its original engine?

Some US equipment (particularly crawlers and other tractors) were provided to the Ministry of Supply and were then issued to War Ag and other outlets.

I owned an Mack that had come across in 1940 and had been used along with 9 others in a quarry in Oxfordshire.

I would venture, however, that yours came to be in civilian use after having been used by the Army. You should be able to find out from the chassis number and asking the RLC museum.

Has it still got its original engine?

Hello,

Do you know what happened to your Mack? Is it still on the circuit? Yes ours still has the original petrol and it runs like a sewing machine!

Regards Ryan

There were loads of these about a few years usually missing the body and normally in a lot worse state than this. No one wanted them.

From memory they were originally acquired by the Department of Transport for snow clearance and subsequently passed on to Council Highway Authorities. Some remained on standby into the 1980's which is why so many relatively survive.

• 4 months later...

The MoT chose the Mack as the vehicle for a fleet of snow plough lorries. There were only 6 in use before then. THe MoT built up a fleet of 200 while a similar number were bought directly by county councils for a grant-aided £700. Most operated in Scotland where Aberdeen had the largest fleet while Isle of Ely only bought one. MoT vehicles had London registrations [HYR etc.] while the councils had local ones.