C15 Polsten

straight six 42

Hi,

Recently recovered and saved, the two images attached show an unrestored November 1942 C15 Polsten Chevrolet, converted by Dennis Bros Ltd in Jan 1944, for the build up for D.Day.

The Chevy will be shown next year , as found, ( apart from the brakes, mechanics being gone through) in the condition you see in the pictures.

Looking for any information about these very rare conversions. I already have details from Dennis Bros Ltd records to show when she was converted to a Polsten equipped vehicle. I am after units that used them, and more importantly a Polsten 20mm anti aircraft gun and associated equipment , genuine or film prop, to return her to her wartime role.

Ignore the cencus number on the door, which is incorrect, the original number has since been uncovered, on the doors, under a couple of layers of paint, ( Z 5195155)

Looking forward to any replies

Thanks

Keith

P4230374.JPG

P4240381.JPG

Edited by straight six 42
additional info

24 of them were used in Europe by the 15th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RA, which was the LAA unit of the 7th Armoured Division. Shown here coming ashore in Normandy several days after D-day.

8 vehicles were issued to each of the regiment's 3 batteries. The vehicles in the pictures are vehicles numbers 1 and 4 of "Y" Troop, 42nd Battery. If you look closely you can make out the markings and the Desert Rat of the 7th AD.

When you get bored with the thing, let me know! It would look nice in our museum along with the Morris C9B...

CMP 2&3.jpg

CMP1.jpg

Edited by Ivor Ramsden

Hi Guys, and thanks for the interest shown

Ivor, many thanks for the information on the units that used them. I've tried other ways of finding information, but to no avail. This now explains why David and Rory Ballard marked their F15 Polsten a few years ago with the Desert rat. If any other info comes to light, please let me know.

Bit more background info on the Chevy. Date of manufacture was 18/11/1942, rolled out of the Chevrolet works painted in Light stone ( yellow), even the canvas bag behind the drivers and passengers seat is light stone. Traces of this are still evident all over the vehicle. Originally had a GS body on the back, and presumably destine for North Africa. Next colour is No 2 Service Brown, applied sometime in 43, as in January 44 she was sent to Dennis Bros Ltd, to be converted into a 20mm Polsten mount. Left Dennis Bros Ltd early February. All this conversion information has been supplied and confirmed by Surrey library who have the original works books in their archives. Chassis No and Body No all tally, to think this info is still out there after 70 odd years.

The truck was then sold on 24th June 1946 at Great Missingdon Surplus sale to a local man and his son who started a small garage business up. They gave her a coat of gloss green paint, fitted her with a Harvey Frost crane on the back, and used her for light recovery work.

Time moves on, and in the mid 80's she is given a registration number, another quick coat of paint and is shown on the rally scene, but NOT very often. Taken off the road 15 years ago and stood up, having only covered 8400 miles from new!

This is when I first came to know the then owner of her, and kept in touch with him. Sadly, he had a stroke and passed away last year. The two sons he has were not at all interested in keeping it, so I became her new owner back in April 2016.

Since then the brakes have all been sorted, new cylinders, new flexi pipes, sleeved master cylinder, new fuel pump diaphragm, wiring and bad connections sorted. Various areas of the body have been carefully sanded back, to reveal original cencus Number, allied star on rear lockers

That will do for now, couple more pictures attached for your enjoyment

Regards

Keith

dash2.jpg

P5120428.JPG

door No.jpg

Hi Ivor,

Not checked on the rear facing lockers yet, might pop out and have a rubbing down session later. I have found a small amount of red and blue paint on the front panel of the chevy, which could have been part of a RA tac sign.

Cordenj,

Yes, I spotted that replica for sale, but it's an airbourne set up, much lighter, different legs etc to the truck mounted unit. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Rampant rivet, My chassis number is 28421131424, Date of Manufacture was Nov 18-42. You must have a record somewhere of yours ?

Regards

Keith