AEC Militant MKI

Hutch3674

Tool box.jpg

Looking to refurbish cab and body to original specifications, if you can help with the following items, please get in touch.

2 x Tool boxes (Internal tool/stowage bins behind seats)

A copy of (C.E.S) Complete Equipment Schedule P337884

Tailgate ladders

Rust flaps

Edited by Hutch3674

Are you talking about the trays that are actually behind the seats or the bins that are at head height, behind the seats

Hi Zero-Five-Two I am after to the boxes that sat in the trays behind the seats, I have been told they were toolboxes that sat in the frame with the webbing straps on, just above the batteries, also I have only one bin on the passenger's side at head height, there are two brackets behind driver's seat for the bin, but its missing.

Can't say I'll be much help there, if it was the metal frame you wanted, they are only welded angle iron and can soon be made so long as you have a pattern.

I am kicking myself a bit at the moment, I took the passengers side one out of my timber tractor as I didn't want it, Cut it up to extend the drivers side one then scrapped the remains along with a spare one I'd acquired a good few years back, only to find that the tanker one is missing, so I've got to make one up for that.

As for wooden toolboxes, I don't recall ever seeing any, just a flat board where you would dump your webbing and other stuff on! That said there was/is some bits of plywood sort of stuff that was in the back of the tanker cab, I wonder if they are the remains of such a toolbox. Further investigation required there before throwing anymore away.

Anyhow, I feel a bit of a reprimand is called for here. Just turning up with your new Milly without a proper introduction and some photographs of the old girl is dashed bad form old chap. That said congratulations on joining the ranks of the slightly deaf but grinning Militant owners, welcome aboard

Anyhow, I feel a bit of a reprimand is called for here. Just turning up with your new Milly without a proper introduction and some photographs of the old girl is dashed bad form old chap. That said congratulations on joining the ranks of the slightly deaf but grinning Militant owners, welcome aboard

Hi Rob,

you must have missed this thread then..............

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?55722-Hi-from-Hutch-Omagh-Northern-Ireland&p=480268#post480268

;)

Richard

Can't say I'll be much help there, if it was the metal frame you wanted, they are only welded angle iron and can soon be made so long as you have a pattern.

I am kicking myself a bit at the moment, I took the passengers side one out of my timber tractor as I didn't want it, Cut it up to extend the drivers side one then scrapped the remains along with a spare one I'd acquired a good few years back, only to find that the tanker one is missing, so I've got to make one up for that.

As for wooden toolboxes, I don't recall ever seeing any, just a flat board where you would dump your webbing and other stuff on! That said there was/is some bits of plywood sort of stuff that was in the back of the tanker cab, I wonder if they are the remains of such a toolbox. Further investigation required there before throwing anymore away.

Hi again,

I did an introduction the other day, I am wondering if it was posted now, I should have got the kids to check it out lol. I have the frames still in my Milly if you require any measurements. I am still rewiring a new dashboard, and on the hunt for some new tyres as I got picked up for the tyres last MOT, he did say he would let it go as he didn't think I would be doing a lot of mileage.

AEC Militant MKI  (4).jpg

(92) 27-04-2016 Parked up at Tyndale.jpg

(105) 02-11-2016 Road run to Eskra Quarry Weighbridge.jpg

AEC Militant MKI  (2).jpg

Just to add to the confusion - there are no boxes in my cab either! I have plywood removable bases in the angle iron frames behind the seats (removable for access to the batteries) and that is all.

Now - having said that - I definitely remember storage bin in the cabs on the Mk 1 tippers we had in 215 RCT(V) - but - I have a recollection they were sheet steel and had padlock hasps on so the bins could be secured. Unfortunately I have no photos from those days :(:( Might have been because there were no external lockers on the vehicles (3-way tippers)

Just to add to the confusion - there are no boxes in my cab either! I have plywood removable bases in the angle iron frames behind the seats (removable for access to the batteries) and that is all.

Now - having said that - I definitely remember storage bin in the cabs on the Mk 1 tippers we had in 215 RCT(V) - but - I have a recollection they were sheet steel and had padlock hasps on so the bins could be secured. Unfortunately I have no photos from those days :(:( Might have been because there were no external lockers on the vehicles (3-way tippers)

Thanks again,

I have the plywood base too, and its painted green to match the interior. I have meet an ex RCT Lad who did say that the tool boxes were handy as they use to lay wood/stretcher across for a bed at night. I have seen a box with AEC on it for sale once, I will attach the picture. I am looking for boxes similar to the attached one. (Local manufacture comes to mind here). I can get the measurements form the frames and use this picture as a template.

Tool box.jpg

Edited by Hutch3674

Thanks for posting the pictures, Hutch, that looks like a very nice motor you've got there. Years MOT on it as well can't be bad

Cheers Mate,

I saved a few of your pictures of the tanker cab, I find them handy for doing jobs, in areas I have not ventured before.

Hutch:-D

Glad to be of help, mate. Have you seen the blog for my timber tractor? There's some good pictures on there that may be of use too

Another pile of photos I have saved for my own self help, I have to take my hat off to you on the work completed on that project, awesome well done. I see you had a problem I have with the discharge light remaining on, I changed the dash board and ignition switch over and I guess I should have disconnected the batteries, so a few sparks have left me with a permanent red discharge light on, so I will wait until January when I get home again. I did have a peep into that Panel Generator NoI and I was looking for fuses but I didn't see any, so I am not sure if there are any on my Milly, also I see all Militants have a master switch which I haven't got either. Any light on this problem would be much appreciated.

Hutch:-D

No they don't have master switches as a rule, tanker has one 'cos it's a fuel carrier, I fitted to one on the timber tractor 'cos they are a good idea. There is a fuse in the generator control box, the only one on a standard Milly although there are circuit protection coils in the slave socket box. I'll dig out a picture of the fuse in question this evening for you

No they don't have master switches as a rule, tanker has one 'cos it's a fuel carrier, I fitted to one on the timber tractor 'cos they are a good idea. There is a fuse in the generator control box, the only one on a standard Milly although there are circuit protection coils in the slave socket box. I'll dig out a picture of the fuse in question this evening for you

Cheers, very much appreciated.

Hutch

In Hutch's other thread he gives the D.I.S. as 1966.

Hi Sean,

After importing the vehicle to the UK, I had to declare vehicle to HMRC, they informed me there was no duty to pay as they had no interest in the vehicle, I then proceeded to get the vehicle registered with the DVLA.

They cam back to me with "The said vehicle needs and MOT" new legislation from eu hq, any vehicle built after 1960 requires an MOT. I am hoping this will change back to the old ways soon.

Hutch

Hi Sean,

After importing the vehicle to the UK, I had to declare vehicle to HMRC, they informed me there was no duty to pay as they had no interest in the vehicle, I then proceeded to get the vehicle registered with the DVLA.

They cam back to me with "The said vehicle needs and MOT" new legislation from eu hq, any vehicle built after 1960 requires an MOT. I am hoping this will change back to the old ways soon.

Hutch

Hutch, it's not really to do with the EU. Any vehicle which is not otherwise exempt must have an MoT; that's always been the law since roadworthiness testing was introduced. The Goods Vehicle (Plating and Testing) Regulations have an exemption for vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1960, used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer. More recently, harmonisation with EU regulations meant that this was extended to all pre-1960 vehicles, not just goods vehicles.

Brooky obviously assumed your Militant was pre-1960 which is why his question - and indeed it may well be, but the licencing authorities often use the date into service (DIS) given by the MoD as the date of manufacture, and in reality the two are not always the same. I'd guess your 1966 date came from MoD disposal documentation, or the previous owner?

You're right that this might now change; further EU harmonisation has resulted in a consultation, which ended last month, about further changes to the law. The option favoured by the Ministry is to change to a rolling 40 year exemption, which would make pre-1976 vehicles exempt as of current date. However there may be some wrinkles to it, as there is some thought of introducing a basic safety test, and scoring vehicles for originality per the procedure for registering heavily modified and kit built vehicles.

The proposed changes are here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/roadworthiness-testing-for-vehicles-of-historic-interest

Interesting news Sean - thanks for sharing the link. A rolling dae would be nice - although I admit to seeing the logic of a dafty test. Sadly though, knowing bureaucrats and politicians, I more or less guarantee that in time that will morph into a carbon copy of the MOT!

Its true what you say about DVLA - my FFR Landrover has a "Y" suffix registration because the numpty in DVLA used the MoD Cast date as the date of manufacture instead of the actual build date of 17 December 1973!!

The situation with Militants is bizarre to say the least - Hutch's and mine are virtually identical - but because mine is registered with a build date of 1959 it is MOT exempt and I can drive it on a B licence provided its not used laden/for hire or reward. Whereas Hutch's being 1966 requires an MOT and - I believe - the equivalent of the old HGV Class 2 license.

Interesting news Sean - thanks for sharing the link. A rolling date would be nice - although I admit to seeing the logic of a dafty test.

I like a dafty test. I can think of some who need one. Autocomplete, I guess?!

Its true what you say about DVLA - my FFR Landrover has a "Y" suffix registration because the numpty in DVLA used the MoD Cast date as the date of manufacture instead of the actual build date of 17 December 1973!!

It is, or was, standard procedure. If you think about it, for most cast vehicles being registered in the normal way it's quite difficult for DVLA to establish year of manufacture - generally the paperwork to prove won't be available, unless an enthusiast has gone to the trouble of doing the research - so it's straightforward for them to take DIS as date of manufacture. You can get it changed if you can demonstrate the true date of manufacture to their satisfaction.

The situation with Militants is bizarre to say the least - Hutch's and mine are virtually identical - but because mine is registered with a build date of 1959 it is MOT exempt and I can drive it on a B licence provided its not used laden/for hire or reward. Whereas Hutch's being 1966 requires an MOT and - I believe - the equivalent of the old HGV Class 2 license.

It's always the same when you have a hard date for a rule change and the vehicle build straddles that date. You get the same thing with lots of vehicles, for example MKs not needing under-run bars while later MJs do, or different lighting (rear foglights) on post-1980 vehicles.

That's one instance where being able to prove an earlier date of manufacture is useful. That itself leads to some funny goings on though - I'm sure there are a lot more 1959 Thames Traders, Bedford TJs and TKs around than GM or Ford ever built! I suppose a rolling date helps here - if your vehicle isn't exempt, it soon will be.

Many thanks for the above, I did see on the "B Vehicle Data Card" DIS 7/66 & (4/4/64) I was happy for the test to be carried out, as I was unfamiliar with the AEC Militant MKI, and as it passed I was happy about the brakes and other safety features. So I will see what comes of it next year.. Thanks

Hutch, it's not really to do with the EU. Any vehicle which is not otherwise exempt must have an MoT; that's always been the law since roadworthiness testing was introduced. The Goods Vehicle (Plating and Testing) Regulations have an exemption for vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1960, used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer. More recently, harmonisation with EU regulations meant that this was extended to all pre-1960 vehicles, not just goods vehicles.

Brooky obviously assumed your Militant was pre-1960 which is why his question - and indeed it may well be, but the licencing authorities often use the date into service (DIS) given by the MoD as the date of manufacture, and in reality the two are not always the same. I'd guess your 1966 date came from MoD disposal documentation, or the previous owner?

You're right that this might now change; further EU harmonisation has resulted in a consultation, which ended last month, about further changes to the law. The option favoured by the Ministry is to change to a rolling 40 year exemption, which would make pre-1976 vehicles exempt as of current date. However there may be some wrinkles to it, as there is some thought of introducing a basic safety test, and scoring vehicles for originality per the procedure for registering heavily modified and kit built vehicles

The proposed changes are here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/roadworthiness-testing-for-vehicles-of-historic-interest