found a Jeep in a field - No documents

Hello,

A bit of advice please, I was lucky enough to find a very rough M38 jeep in a field in Suffolk, I will do a proper post on the restoration but I have a problem - no documents.

In the good old days I would go down to DVLA Ipswich and they would inspect the vehicle and issue an age related plate.

How do I go about it now? Specifically no NOVA paperwork.

I have recently registered an imported 1969 Ford Mustang bought in before the Nova scheme and that was a nightmare!

The Jeep is pretty rough but complete apart from having no engine, everything else has been together since the factory, to confuse the issue Post-war jeeps don't have chassis numbers although this one has had the vehicle ID number (from the body data plate) stamped on the chassis leading me to believe it has been registered before.

I bought it from a guy who has had it in his family forever (at least 30 years) but he can't remember the registration number, it came form a local USAF base in the early 60's and his uncle used it on the farm along with a CJ2A jeep which is in still in the field and has faded military markings!

Essentially I am worried about lack of proof regarding import tax and getting an age related reg, particularly as it has probably already have been registered.

Help!!

Thanks for looking

Dave

Hi Your frame number should begin with MC then the numbers . The body plate with this number should be screwed to the front of the rear wheel housing behind the backrest of the front passenger seat. Also you will find lots of info over on the WILLYS M JEEPS website. Regards Bernard.

OK

First thing first, make the NOVA declaration as you would with a recently imported vehicle

This will tick a box for the DVLA later on

Secondly has the vehicle been registered and do you know its reg number

If yes then go online and do a vehicle check on the DVLA website. If it comes back with a record then it is on the database and all you have to do is request a new V5

If it is not on the database then you need to use the V765 scheme. You will need proof that ties the chassis number to the number claimed. The dvla are very specific about the evidence required. An old style log book or a certified copy from the original county registration ledger or old not certificates are about the only acceptable evidence. The V765 application has to be submitted and completed by an authorised club.

If its not on the database or never been registered then you need to go down the V55 route for an age related number. You will have to have the vehicle inspected by a approved club ( the DVLA has a list) and dating evidence produced, this is then submitted to dvla along with the fee and completed V55 and eventually you should get an age related number

That lot is probably as clear as mud! However start the process before you strip the vehicle as for the inspection is has to be "reasonably complete"

If you want further clarification drop me a pm and I will try to help, I was MVT verification officer for a few years

Hope that helps

Thanks guys much appreciated, the Chassis number and body tag do indeed start with MC.

I can ask the previous owner if he can find pictures as you suggest but I suspect he couldn't find his a*$e with both hands.

Nice guy but I knew he was a big eccentric when he made me a cup of tea in a jam jar!

He was a typical hoarder.

Anyone know how to recover a reg from DVLA or go about starting from scratch without a NOVA form?

Cheers

Dave

Thanks guys much appreciated, the Chassis number and body tag do indeed start with MC.

I can ask the previous owner if he can find pictures as you suggest but I suspect he couldn't find his a*$e with both hands.

Nice guy but I knew he was a big eccentric when he made me a cup of tea in a jam jar!

He was a typical hoarder.

Anyone know how to recover a reg from DVLA or go about starting from scratch without a NOVA form?

Cheers

Dave

As I said above you need to make a NOVA declaration, there will be nothing to pay

It ticks a box for the dvla if the box is not ticked your application will be rejected

I think I have outlined the processes above for either retaining a number or applying for an age related plate

As I said above you need to make a NOVA declaration, there will be nothing to pay

It ticks a box for the dvla if the box is not ticked your application will be rejected

I think I have outlined the processes above for either retaining a number or applying for an age related plate

Thanks very much for your reply.

I missed your first reply as I was typing my reply as you posted.

NOVA sacres me, I don't want to pay tax on something thats been here for 60 years, I assume I can tick a box to say its been here for ever? I don't think I will recover the original reg (no evidence I can get my hands on) so I will strat the ball rolling as a new application

I will give it a go and keep you informed.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Dave

Thanks very much for your reply.

I missed your first reply as I was typing my reply as you posted.

NOVA sacres me, I don't want to pay tax on something thats been here for 60 years, I assume I can tick a box to say its been here for ever? I don't think I will recover the original reg (no evidence I can get my hands on) so I will strat the ball rolling as a new application

I will give it a go and keep you informed.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Dave

Just do the NOVA application, I know of people who have been in the same situation and have not had a problem

Good Luck

Just to build upon what Brooky has said: No NOVA, no registration so you have to go down that route.

I did a GMC in much the same way, you have to gather as much evidence as you can for HMRC to confirm that its been in the country for a long time. Ideally a receipt and a letter from the previous owner stating he owned it for xx years and its been in the UK for that time.

As has been stated do it sooner rather than later.