Morris CS8 project ( must be nuts )

goanna

STEFANO

From info I have from the 'experts' , up until around 1939/40, not exactly sure of the serial nr. ....the cab floor was made from plywood .... either 5/8 or 3/4" . ....they made some changes during production. They changed over to wood planks on the floor around 1940 ???

MIKE

Mike,

Yeah, that's what I've been told as well. My CD/SW had a plywood floor in much the same style albeit totally different in detail of course - we're talking about Morris's here. Is the early CS8 in the picture the one that belongs to Dave Ballard? I saw it at Beltring, a wonderful thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

I have got the chassis mostly stripped down but there are always a few stuck bolts , this one is a pain - the bolt through the front main spring hanger casting is jammed , heating with the oxy has no effect on it.

Been so hot here the past week , makes working outside a real drag . Sunburn is a ever present hazard. My shed is currently full of old lathes and milling machines, another weakness of mine - among them I have a wartime Parkson No. 1 universal mill with the "austerity finish" Ministry of Supply badge on it.

bolt.jpg

outside.jpg

As you might have discovered banging on the threaded end results in mushrooming that end. A technique I have successfully used on heat set rivets is to drill down the centre, more than half way. Insert a drift into the hole and hit that, the theory being that you are pulling the bolt out rather than pushing.

As you might have discovered banging on the threaded end results in mushrooming that end. A technique I have successfully used on heat set rivets is to drill down the centre, more than half way. Insert a drift into the hole and hit that, the theory being that you are pulling the bolt out rather than pushing.

Great minds think alike ! I did exactly as you suggested and it worked ! Also needed the heat though . The Kookaburras were laughing at me while I was working at it .

I need to find a 1/2" Whitworth ring spanner , the rear axle U bolt nuts are that size and there are four nuts per U bolt- the lower nut is deep and a socket will not fit over it . It appears the tyres are the original Trak Grip RF ones , made under license.

scene2.jpg

Stripping the wheels is hard work. If you can get some blocks of wood in between the two halves and get the half with the studs in off first. You can then get the other half onto a stand. A good round block of wood makes a good stand if you can get one the right height. Fox wedges a bead knocker and soft soap with a good Mel. I always use ear defenders so that I cannot hear myself swearing

• 2 weeks later...

The CS8 king pins , I have disassembled 2 different front axles and both king pins are a unusual size. Both front axles have .907" diam. king pins . Did MCC use metric king pins because it is almost 23mm ? My micrometer has been calibrated with a Moore & Wright 1" gauge .

I have more front axles , I may pull another one apart but the heat is almost killing me

king.jpg

On another thread a restorer was going nuts trying to identify threads still attached to a Commer/Karrier which we wouls all assume to be imperial through & through. Turned out that Rootes used metric (and oddball metric at that)when it suited them, So may be a similar situation here.

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress , the molasses bath has been in use !

Some years ago I obtained a set of NOS pistons for the Morris OH 6 cyl. engine .The pistons, with 2 compression and 2 oil control rings, are heavy in weight and I think they have a high iron content , similar to the contemporary CMP 216 Chevy pistons . The Standard bore is 82mm , the piston rings are compression 2.5mm and oil control 4mm . Just by chance, I found there is a modern VW performance engine with the same dimension piston rings . I am wondering if its possible to use the modern rings in the old NOS pistons ?

clean1.jpg

• 8 months later...

I have a set of NOS pistons for the CS8 engine +40 . I think these are a aftermarket brand ?

These are heavy pistons, I believe they have a high iron content .  The iron pistons  normally have a tin coating on the piston, this aids the running in process. The tin has come away from these old ones I have

I am thinking of shot peening these old pistons .  Any thoughts ? 

I have done the peening on an old set of Chevy 216 pistons and these have been running without any problems

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG