Odd 'census' number on WW2 truck?

Sean N

Question

I was in a restaurant Saturday evening that had a number of old photos around - said to be connected with the owner's family.

One, a WW2 truck, carried a number on the front offside just below the windscreen, but rather than a conventional census number it was a broad arrow followed by 275698, the 27 being painted a smaller size than the other characters.

This probably should ring a bell with me but doesn't. Anyone shed any light?

6 answers to this question

I was in a restaurant Saturday evening that had a number of old photos around - said to be connected with the owner's family.

One, a WW2 truck, carried a number on the front offside just below the windscreen, but rather than a conventional census number it was a broad arrow followed by 275698, the 27 being painted a smaller size than the other characters.

This probably should ring a bell with me but doesn't. Anyone shed any light?

Hi Sean,

275698 was in a batch of census numbers that were not taken up, so this number must be something else. Ah, I think vehicles in Middle East in early war had broad arrow and smaller numbers preceding, or may be India. These numbers were more of a registration as they are not census numbers.

Edited by Richard Farrant

Hi Sean,

275698 was in a batch of census numbers that were not taken up, so this number must be something else. Ah, I think vehicles in Middle East in early war had broad arrow and smaller numbers preceding, or may be India. These numbers were more of a registration as they are not census numbers.

Your right Richard the broad arrow mark was used for registration numbers on vehicles used in the East

pete

Thanks Richard, Pete. I did put 'Census' in inverted commas as I wasn't sure if it'd still count as one. Yes, just like that one on the Jeep, though it was across the scuttle panel below the offside windscreen.

Ha, thanks for posting a picture of my slat Pete, I applied the broad arrow and numbers, in memory of my Dad who served out in India and Burma in 1944 to 47 and was in the Royal Signals. It's a good talking point , as not many vehicles are currently restored with this type of cencus number being displayed.

Regards

Keith

Ha, thanks for posting a picture of my slat Pete, I applied the broad arrow and numbers, in memory of my Dad who served out in India and Burma in 1944 to 47 and was in the Royal Signals. It's a good talking point , as not many vehicles are currently restored with this type of cencus number being displayed.

Regards

Keith

Hello Chap thought that might flush you out, how long have you been lurking around here :-D nice to see you on this forum, are you going to post an introduction in the introduction section ?

regards

Pete