Bedford 28HP blowing

44GPW

Question

Afternoon all,

My MW engine keeps blowing manifold gaskets in the same place. Fine when first installed the blows after a few hundred miles.

I've had the manifolds skimmed so happy there ok so I'm assuming there must be an imperfection in the block itself?

Obviously would love to avoid taking the engine out so is there another way? Doubling up on the manifold gasket maybe or installing the gasket with a sealer??

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

8 answers to this question

It's not the block but the head you need to inspect, the manifold face on my head was badly damaged by heat, probably caused by a blowing gasket and needed skimming , I also had the valve seats re cut and valves re ground at the same time.

As above on a QL-T I owned I skimmed the manifold and head ports did the valves new gaskets ( no sealant – my choice)

When you have the manifold face of the head skimmed, do you fit the inlet manifold and split collars to see if they are now too wide? Remember that removing metal off the head, reduces depth of recess for the collars. On occasions I have had to make narrower collars to compensate, especially where someone has skimmed inlet and exhaust manifold together. Always do a dry run, by fitting collars and measuring the gap between faces, then measure the gasket. You may not be compressing the gaskets enough due to the collars holding them off then once it starts to blow there is no stopping it. Also, when skimming the exhaust manifold, refit the inlet to it and check both faces line up, using a straight edge, when you nip up the nuts and bolts that hold them together. ;)

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Yes, I did reduce the collar width to allow for the skimming but maybe not enough? How much should you allow for reduced thickness of the gasket after compression? I had aligned inlet and exhaust correctly as I also made a previous error on a jeep!! Maybe I've not been scientific enough when reducing the width of the collars?

Richard