Vehicle CES

En-jay

I'd have thought that was a good CES number; for example, my 1971-ish office trailer has a CES number of P/33918/1

Was the way CES numbers done changed, along with the plate on that Morris after a late rebuild (it looks like a late plate), so that 34173 is older (and current when Clive's reference was published), later replaced with P33540/11?

The best person to contact ref military Morris Minors is Godfrey Crew who is a member of the South Wales MVT, what he doesn't know about military Morris Minors could be written on the back of a postage stamp! I don't have his contact details, but the phone number and email address for the South Wales area secretary are on the MVT website.

The best person to contact ref military Morris Minors is Godfrey Crew who is a member of the South Wales MVT, what he doesn't know about military Morris Minors could be written on the back of a postage stamp! I don't have his contact details, but the phone number and email address for the South Wales area secretary are on the MVT website.

Many thanks for that pointer:tup::

A couple of things. I always used to think that the prefix "P" in a CES meant provisional, but that is no so, it is the production CES. It might just as well be because this is not the Service CES of which there will be a Simple CES & sometimes a Complex CES if it forms part of another equipment.

To have have quite a different Production CES from the Service (Simple) CES suggest it had quite a different role. I just wonder were there any old screw holes in the wood or any covered covered over welds above & below all of the windows?

Some Travellers were fitted with diamond mesh expanded steel internal security screens over all the windows & headlights. This was in 1969, this was not Op Banner but predated it by 3 months!

Morris3.jpg

Morris1.jpg

The CES for such a conversion would list those items. Do you think yours might have had such a conversion maybe?

A couple of things. I always used to think that the prefix "P" in a CES meant provisional, but that is no so, it is the production CES. It might just as well be because this is not the Service CES of which there will be a Simple CES & sometimes a Complex CES if it forms part of another equipment.

To have have quite a different Production CES from the Service (Simple) CES suggest it had quite a different role. I just wonder were there any old screw holes in the wood or any covered covered over welds above & below all of the windows?

Some Travellers were fitted with diamond mesh expanded steel internal security screens over all the windows & headlights. This was in 1969, this was not Op Banner but predated it by 3 months!

Morris3.jpg

Morris1.jpg

The CES for such a conversion would list those items. Do you think yours might have had such a conversion maybe?

That would look awesome Clive especially if it was painted like the one I passed my driving test in at Arborfield, everything except the glass was deep bronze green, including tyres, woodwork and chrome.

John yes it would look superb. Imagine taking it to a show where it would be looked upon with disdain & declared shear fantasy!

The EMER was issued in May 1969 & I suspect it was in response to anxieties about violence from some quarters with the rise on interest in NI civil rights movement. So the Army would have some IS vehicles in readiness if things got out of hand.

Clive,

Many thanks for the input - very interesting, have certainly learned something new regarding specification for the fitting of security screens to such a vehicle!

As far as I can see from the previous owners before and during restoration photos of the traveller, there doesn't appear to be any evidence in the woodwork/metal which might suggest that such an application was fitted to this vehicle.

If you ever decide to put it into that role I have the full instructions down to the last nut & bolt well actually it was mainly wood screws, I think 60 of them. The whole installation would take 48 manhours I think, but that was with the full ready cut out kit. Never seen an in-service picture of one but there it is in the EMER.

It was wise to plan ahead but as it turned out this was a slight underestimation of the needs, even so they were still selling off Humbers in 1971!!