Warminster Small Arms Collection

johnwardle

I have managed to arrange a visit to the Small Arms Collection at the Land Warfare Centre, Warminster on Saturday 10th December from 09:00 to 12:00, there are a few spaces left, if anyone is interested in visiting this superb collection of small arms (probably the best in the country) please contact me.

John.

John the last time I went there was many years ago when they had some wheeled armour outside the museum. Sadly that has long since gone, the Pig is in IoW I believe. I hope they still have a Vigilant on display, when I went they had no controller for it so I did a swap with something so they had controller for it.

I used to look after that collection when I was Stationed there back in the day.

I had the Imense privelidge also, of being able to test fire a lot of the weapons held in the Museum as well!

I can Heartily Recommend a Visit, it is indeed outstanding. They also hold a number of unique & exceedingly rare items!

If you can secure a place on this visit, Go for it! You will not be disapointed! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

I think the nearest any of us could ever hope to get to it is if we end up shaving with the razor blades made from recycled steel!

a real shame, think of the revenue these things could bring in. It's purely because it's a gun. I purchased (for a museum) a drill WE177 nuke, a sea eagle missile and a JP233 for £2500 from the MODs Disposal Services Agency so it's not really about if it's worth selling. It's all public perception.

The Vickers-Colt in the cage had actually had a torch cut through the underside of receiver/feed area and a torch hole through the underside of the water jacket and barrel, the PPSH looked complete, as did the rifle and pistols. Here's a few more photos.

IMG_5796.JPG

IMG_5797.JPG

IMG_5803.JPG

IMG_5813.JPG

The MOD will never sell small arms to the public, any Current British weapons on the market have been made from parts or unserviceable guns that have been repaired/rebuilt by a contractor. There's a lot more to it than that but that's the basics.

most of these guns being scrapped is as a result of the new EU regs, lots of foreign guns being used as military training aids or displayed are having to be redeactivated and those that are on mess walls etc have to be done at non public expense. We had a Browning Mk2 .303 in the mess which was presented by HM the Queen. That's long gone now.

My understanding is that the new EU regs only apply to weapons being sold or transferred so there's no need to modify weapons already in place.

I'm not holding my breath but there is a good chance that weapons deactivated to the last pre-EU spec will become legal again anyway if Vicky Ford manages to get the European Parliament to see sense.

Andy

You are correct but the MOD being a government body don't see it that way. Most of the pre 95 old spec stuff in messes had to be brought upto post 95 spec at the cost of the mess. Nothing to do with legalities but MOD policy.

I suppose I can see their point - it would be extremely embarrassing to have one stolen and then reactivated.

Andy