Kraz 255 vs Reo M35?

Hi all,

I've always hankered after a 6x6 truck, and subject to a lot of things falling into place next year (another workshop and some money etc) I might finally be able to scratch the itch.

As much as I've always liked the M35s, they are quite ubiquitous at shows. Meanwhile, a lot of time spent playing Spintires (a Russian off-roading computer game) has introduced me to the awesome Kraz 255. Now here's a truck thats as good looking, seemingly even more capable, roughly the same price (even if one has to travel to find one) and is something rather different from the norm in the UK.

Has anyone on here ever had experience of both? What are the main strengths and weaknesses of each? I'm guessing parts for the 255 must be harder to track down, but then again the M35s multifuel engine must make it a lot cheaper to run. What are they both like on the road in terms of size, driveability, economy(!) and top speed? I'm aware that being post 1960, the 255 would require a licence whereas an unladen M35 wouldn't.

What's the view of the HMVF collective?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

We have a Kraz 255 that lives with my brother in Blackburn. He would be more than happy to show you over it and probably use it as an excuse to take it out! It is a superb machine but there are a few issues with them. The first is that if you import one you can no longer register it for road use. This is because they are over width and there is no longer an exemption for them to fit in. The ballast tractor one was removed last year. We know of at least one that was bought in to the country that the owner has been unable to register. He is using it as an off road toy so not a big problem.

There are we think 4 Kraz 255's in the country that are road registered. Our one, the one owned by Paul of the Cold War Museum (on hmvf), a radio bodied one (again owner is on hmvf) and one that has been converted to a heavy winching vehicle. There may be other ones but we don't know of them.

So in summary the first issue is finding a registered one. If you do and the size doesn't put you off then they are very solid and impressive machines.

Hope that helps a bit. Let me know if you would like to see our one.

Cheers

Ed

Hi Ed, many thanks indeed for your kind offer - Blackburn is not too far from me so I would love to take it up at some point (maybe in December when I've got a bit more free time from project deadlines than at the minute) :-D

That's a bummer to hear about the legalities, was this part of the consultation on forcing post 1960 special vehicles to have an MOT? I guess there's no mileage in trying to shave off the extra 10cm per side by fitting narrower tyres and losing the wheelarch eyebrows etc? I guess that means the value of the existing 4 must have skyrocketed too!

I think it was part of them closing the holes in the legislation for MOT exempt vehicles. I think they are still consulting on eliminating some more of the loop holes. It would be nice if the prices sky rocketed! But I think they will stay reasonable as they are big bits of kit to take out. It's just a case of finding someone who wants to sell one!

Drop me a line when you are free and I can give you my brothers contact details.

Ed

Not actually owned a Kraz but have a good friend who did own the radio truck one. In the scheme of things they are big, clearly bigger than an M35. I would suggest that it would be nice to own but not something you would use every weekend. The Reo is somewhat more practical something that you can take out every weekend and is not a killer on fuel. Not all M35s are pre 60, and multifuel is all but gone now with the AA and many "fuel doctors" collecting contam fuel for reprocessing. All depends what you want out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Kraz is also very slow, 35mph is about your best speed over a long run, she will do 40 and maybe as high as 45 but the big tyres can be troublesome at that speed..she is not economical but she will run on contam but is not truly multifuel...

the reo's are a much better everyday truck the 4320 is the best 6 x 6 large truck on the planet...I would say the zil 131 but she is not as practical with the petrol engine...the zil 131 is a good comparison with the Reo...but Reo's fly along.