Third try-what's happening??

tedly

Greetings.

I registered a week ago. On Monday I made an introductory post. It didn't appear. The system recognised me and acknowledged me by user name but the message I sent didn't arrive.

Since the introduction didn't appear, I wrote to the webmaster. No response.

So clearly the satellite is lost or the atmosphere between Australia and England has disappeared- along with my messages!!

If this shows up on the Forum page then I will do a proper introduction. if not, no-one will be any the wiser.

Tedly

Greetings.

I registered a week ago. On Monday I made an introductory post. It didn't appear. The system recognised me and acknowledged me by user name but the message I sent didn't arrive.

Since the introduction didn't appear, I wrote to the webmaster. No response.

So clearly the satellite is lost or the atmosphere between Australia and England has disappeared- along with my messages!!

If this shows up on the Forum page then I will do a proper introduction. if not, no-one will be any the wiser.

Tedly

Hi Tedly,

Welcome to the forum, look forward to your introduction. What part of Australia are you in? I have many MV owning friends over there.

regards, Richard

Hello

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

But I give up!!!!!!!!!:cry:

I just wrote a long introductory message, which when I "posted", disappeared.

I've got a busy day, so I'll try again tonight.

It's Sunday morning here, 7.34am.

Thanks again

Tedly

So, I tried to post this morning and again my message disappeared.

A second brief message was posted successfully. I do not understand what I am doing to create such confusion.

So I'll try and (again, 3rd time) post an introduction.

My name is Ted (proper name Edward, but only when I was naughty as a kid was I called by my full name:cry:).

I live in the south of Tasmania, 40km south of the capital, Hobart, and most of you will know that Tasmania is the island state of Australia, south of Melbourne.

I am a retired fruitgrower, with a life long interest in engines and machinery. These days I am an active member of a local vintage machinery group. I am not a mechanic, and I have no military background. I had 4 uncles (Dad's brothers ) fight in both WWI and WWII, two never came home, but I have a strong empathy (correct word?) for those who have fought for our countries, and those that still do.

I must admit to not having a particularly strong interest in military vehicles and machinery.:shocking:(Wash that man's mouth out, Court Marshall him, have him drummed out of the regiment!!) So why am I here?

My interest in the vintage engines has taken me to the opposed piston two stroke design. These are engines that have no cylinder head, and two pistons in each cylinder. The pistons meet head to head to create the compression required. They are very efficient. I have several of these engines, including the well known Rootes TS3, also Junkers (2) and Krupp.

However, I have recently acquired a Rolls Royce K60 6 cylinder OP engine which I believe were built especially for the British Army, used in tanks and other fighting vehicles.

I need to learn a lot more about this engine , and your Forum seems like just the place!

I will send a picture shortly.

Thanks agin to those who gave me encouraging messages of welcome.

Tedly

(Hopefully) here is a pic of the Rolls Royce K60 arriving "home" on the back of my vehicle.

Also, a bit off topic, a little Junkers HK65 opposed piston engine having its first run after a rebuild, last year.

I hope they appear at your end!!

Tedly

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Thanks Richard and Tony B.

I appreciate your comments Tony, with a lot of time spent on petrol engines, using them as a young bloke, (now the same engines are vintage and collectable!!??) and still fooling around with them, your comment on reliability is right on the money.

And also Richard, I will be in touch over the Forum as the RR K60 set up continues. Thank you both for your welcome.

I should state that my comment "....... I must admit to not having a particularly strong interest in military vehicles and machinery" while accurate, does not mean that I am not at all interested, and also, if I see anything on the Forum where I am able to offer assistance, I will eagerly do so. Don't want to be a taker, and not a giver!

Anyway, I've said a lot in my introduction, I'll post under a new topic next time I visit.

With thanks,

Tedly.

Thanks for your welcome John 1950

I didn't know that Rootes had got as far as road testing the TS4, but there is a Youtube vid of one starting up and running, and I am assured that there is a TS4 in the Technical Museum in Auckland, New Zealand. Seeing that engine is on my bucket list. I haven't looked at the Youtube video for a long time, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

The local carriers used the Commers with the TS3, set up as 7 ton flat trays, or 12 ton single drive, single axle semitrailers. They were quite popular, against the TK Bedfords, the American F series Ford (e.g.F700), ant the International, Australian built AS180s.

With thanks

Tedly

Hello Tedly. Thanks for the info. We used the later ones as 16 ton gross tippers or flats. when they were on song they could catch pigeons, but you could hear them before you could see them. Some drivers could break the pencil shaft in their sleep. Regards John.

Yes they were noisy John, but these days, when I display the TS3 at rallies, the older fellas come up to me and ask to hear it rev up, they love that distinctive 2 stroke sound!!

I have learnt that the quill shaft (pencil shaft) was a weakness in the TS3, but I don't recall any comment or complaint about it amongst those who had those vehicles here.

tedly

Hello Tedley. Most of our journeys were less than 50 miles with lots of short climbs and downs. Another sound box was the Foden 2 stroke. A local concrete company had a fleet of them and they could be heard all day, A missed gear was allways heard. We had a Deltic working the line past my house a couple of years ago It was mostly only on one engine still lots of smoke and an instantly recognizable sound. Keep on porting Regards John.

Hello radiomike7. In my dreams!! There is a Deltic less than 1/2 hour drive from here, should be a runner but not. I understand the owner has not yet mastered the starting technique.:cry: Its not free standing (an installed unit) and unlikely to be sold.

And John1950, I've never heard a Deltic run nor the Foden 2 stroke. But there are Foden 2 strokes at the same location as the Napier Deltic above.

One can but wish and dream!!

Our local running here John is like yours, short distance and hilly. When I mention TS3 engines powering 7 and 12 tonne Commers, that was the payload. GVW would be similar to what you mentioned-15 to 16 tons. Some companies used Commers on longer hauls but in Tasmania a long haul would only be from south to north west of the island, 480km or around 300+ miles.

Tedly

Hello Tedly. I used to drive a Ts14 motor scraper with 2 LEYLAND 680 engines working with GM engined ones they were faster on the flat but I could bank faster. We also had Terex dump trucks with V16 GM engines on an opencast not far away. I am afraid my favorite is still the RR C6SFL. In A Vickers Vigor or a SF65 enginedTs24 I spent many hours driving a Vickers dozer without a hick . An exhaust note in its own class.(It only had an expansion box silencer and 4 inch angled output)

Edited by john1950

Hi John.

I am afraid my favorite is still the RR C6SF.

Does Forum protocol allow me to trump your lead? I have here a RR C8, turbocharged, and I love its smooth running and gentle, powerful note. (We're a sad lot us engine collectors.:-(!!) It was originally fitted to a shunting locomotive, one of a pair, fore and aft, with a centrally mounted control cabin.

There's one Vickers 'dozer left in Tasmania that I know of, but I haven't seen it on the move at all. It is a long way from where I live. In West Australia is a huge twin GM engines powered Euclid 'dozer which I have seen demonstrated. It is awesome, to use my grandsons' language.

Your comment "......keep porting???" eludes me. Keep posting? Keep reporting?or..........?

Tedly

Hello Tedly. Costain mining used to have a Tc6 Euclid Dozer with side by side C/6s on an opencast near where I live when I was at school. The radiators were behind the driver and It suffered from O/heating I remember. Sites are quieter now what with H and S. Body exhausts and funnel size silencers.There Is a quarry In Cumbria that keeps antique plant running, I will give you a report when I go. I last drove a GM engined dump truck about 8 years ago I think it was a V8 supercharged and turbocharged but it was well past its best. I drove a Yale 2500 loading shovel years ago It made its own music Trumps are allowed. Vickers built Two prototypes with C8SFL engines I remember sitting on them. I have a C4SFL with 10 registered hours. C8s have a soft unhurried exhaust note. keep porting eludes me to sorry.Regards John. (Remembered 2 strokes ports no valves, keep on running)

Edited by john1950
explanation

Hello John

The Forestry Department here had Vickers dozers years ago, I think they had a lot of trouble with them. Overheating was one issue with the bonnet top radiator readily collecting forest litter (leaves, twigs and bark) and becoming blocked. Throwing tracks was another problem, I was told.

I did wonder if your comment "...........keep on porting" was an oblique reference to two stroke ported engines. Meanwhile I'll keep on posting!!

Best regards

Tedly