Panzerjäger Tiger (P) Elefant to be part of new tiger exhibit?

So i have heard on a good authority that as part of tank museums organising of a new exhibit based around Tiger family of tanks, they out on loan the Panzerjäger Tiger (P) Elefant from the US (which is currently in storage at US Army Ordnance Museum)

I believe my source is fairly trustworthy, so i would be interested to know whether this is correct.

So i have heard on a good authority that as part of tank museums organising of a new exhibit based around Tiger family of tanks, they out on loan the Panzerjäger Tiger (P) Elefant from the US (which is currently in storage at US Army Ordnance Museum)

I believe my source is fairly trustworthy, so i would be interested to know whether this is correct.[/quote]

What? You want to know if your 'Source' is fairly trustworthy?.....:-D

It would make an excellent themed exhibit for sure. I still want to know when the lottery application is going in to make the Tiger II operational again. Not to mention a 75mm Sherman and a PzIV, however, I guess people wouldn't visit to see a Sherman of PzIV but would for Tiger related exhibits.

To the broad public, anything Tiger related is the most interesting and would possible attract more visitors.

Though one could hope that online computer games like world of tanks and war thunder, could spark an interest in the other rare vehicles in the museum, and then fuel the need for these to be restored to running condition.

To the broad public, anything Tiger related is the most interesting and would possible attract more visitors.

Though one could hope that online computer games like world of tanks and war thunder, could spark an interest in the other rare vehicles in the museum, and then fuel the need for these to be restored to running condition.

Would be good to see more interest in different kind of tanks and vehicles.

It would make an excellent themed exhibit for sure. I still want to know when the lottery application is going in to make the Tiger II operational again. Not to mention a 75mm Sherman and a PzIV, however, I guess people wouldn't visit to see a Sherman of PzIV but would for Tiger related exhibits.

At the moment the museum workshops are focusing on restoring British tanks you can see updates on the work on the museum YouTube channel and the detail there going into.

Al

At the moment the museum workshops are focusing on restoring British tanks you can see updates on the work on the museum YouTube channel and the detail there going into.

Al

Al,

I've been following the Matilda II restoration on Youtube.

Edited by ajmac

Well i had the Tank Museum's own E-newsletter through, and it pretty much confirms that the Elefant will be loaned out to Bovington. I believe its suppose to arrive at some point within this month.

Certainly be worth another visit just to see it, i assume it will go onto public display even with the exhibition refurbishment.

Now they only have to borrow the Sturmtiger from Germany and they will have the full set...

It seems like thats actually what they plan to do.

They have finally gone public about it and mentioned an interested in getting a Sturmtiger. I don't see Kubinka giving up theirs so i assume they are going after one of the ones that live in Germany.

Write up about it provided below.

http://tankmuseum.org/year-news/bovnews53673Even

With a nice clip of the Jagdpanther moving for the first time in many years (if you can view it via Facebook)

Edited by Oxford spectator

This sort of thing has been going on in the art gallery world for years (exhibitions of the old masters, etc) and has been in the transport preservation world for some time as well - steam railways often have guest appearances, and the National Railway Museum recently brought together all of the A6 class locos. It's good to see that the Tank Museum are following suit.

Of course, and without wanting to be cynical, commercially these 'blockbuster' exhibitions are good revenue raisers as they draw in the public - hopefully something most would view as a 'win win'. The potential downside is that they often go on tour. So please don't be too upset if the agreement is we have say goodbye to something for a while...

It seems like thats actually what they plan to do.

They have finally gone public about it and mentioned an interested in getting a Sturmtiger. I don't see Kubinka giving up theirs so i assume they are going after one of the ones that live in Germany.

Write up about it provided below.

http://tankmuseum.org/year-news/bovnews53673Even

With a nice clip of the Jagdpanther moving for the first time in many years (if you can view it via Facebook)

Yes its been a lot of work but the new display will be worth it. The rest of the display will be arriving shortly.

Al

you guys are really lucky,

http://tankmuseum.org/year-news/bovnews53673

The US Army Ordnance Training and Heritage Center have confirmed that they will be loaning The Tank Museum their Elefant (based on the rejected Porsche Tiger chassis) for the exhibition and the Museum remains hopeful that it will be joined by a Sturmtiger from overseas.

The new exhibition, which will be unveiled in April 2017, is aimed at enthusiasts of German armour and will feature new and previously unseen crew interviews and testimonies and account from those who faced them in action.

The development and technology employed in these huge machines along with historical detail about the battles in which they were fought will aim to assess the extent to which these tanks deserve their mighty reputations.

v0_webgridportrait.jpg

Veteran accounts will include reminiscences from those who were present at the capture of Tiger 131 and the story of Gunner Joe Ekins of the Northamptonshire Yeomanry, who in August 1944, knocked out three Tigers in his Sherman Firefly within a matter of hours. It is believed that one of these Tiger tanks was crewed by famed tank ace Michael Wittmann.

In an interview conducted before his death in 2012, Gunner Ekins recalled; “We were in the orchard, looking out over a couple of thousand yards of flat, plain land. Suddenly there were three Tigers coming across our front. We waited until they were about 800 yards. My commander said ‘target the rear one’ and I fired two shots at him and hit him. We pulled out again and fired at the second tank, hit him with the first shot and it went up in an explosion so, obviously we hit the ammunition or something. By this time the first tank of the three had realised what was going on and he started looking for cover, so it turned a bit towards us, we fired two shots at him and I hit him as well”.

Of course, the German perspective will also be presented. At TANKFEST 2015, former Tiger 1 driver Wilhelm Fischer was interviewed by Museum staff and research is being carried out to identify further personal accounts.

With veteran stories, supporting artefacts, unseen imagery and the stories unique to the vehicles on display, the exhibition will showcase the Museum’s collection of what were arguably the most feared and famous tanks of the Second World War.

• 3 weeks later...

This is amazing i have been planning to see this vehicle for ages, and thought the only way i could do this was from travel out to the UK.

in response to earlier posts i found out about these vehicles when i beta tested the game world of tanks a long long time ago before its release and have studied these vehicles ever since.

This is great news indeed.

• 2 weeks later...