The Cold War Museum

Okay after a bit of interest I have decided to start a new thread detailing the process we are going through to get to the 1st May open day.

List of things to sort,

the site needs hardstandings and space for the tentage that we are going to use initially. the main marquee will be purchased in the new year but will be the main hall effectively, with a load of 18X 48 tents lined up for displays etc...

i have to relocate all the vehicles plus i have to tidy them up.

the volunteers will slowly be allocated work as we get them in Neil the volunteers co-ordinator and document-or of the museum items is starting tomorrow to document everything we have that is museum, from the bombs and shells to the guns the tanks the APC's the tyres and every thing else we have...some items will be sold to build up the kitty going forward.

that brings me nicely onto money:- Anyone wishing to make donations will be most welcome to do so, I know unlikely but I have to start asking apparently...anyone wishing to loan vehicles for the displays etc are always welcome, anyone wishing to store their vehicles here is welcome, (some under cover some may be out in the open...all open to discussion at the moment. Any storage cash will go to the museum...direct.

So first plan major task is to get documenting things and alongside, get running the important road worthy vehicles for weddings and events to try and generate income...

We have a few key volunteers already and that has already helped no end. I now see how important you chaps are. I have to admire and thank everyone who gives up their time to come and help us build this museum. I am hoping it will be my legacy to the country...I hope to set it up such that it never has to worry about enough money coming in to stay in business..we will see, I have a lot to do...

Hi Terry, just send details to me and I will respond to anyone who is interested.

www.thecoldwarmuseum.com

the web site is a bit of a mess and just a holding site for now, it just tells you where we are our email and how to find us...it will improve...with stories and information about the cold war..

i will over time have proper systems to accept donations but its early days for that. I am still adjusting to people actually helping me, that is a revelation already. people are so damn giving and helpful...i know there is so much angst in the world but volunteers are some of the most special people ever...giving up their time to assist us in our quest.

thank you to all of you...

Brad managed to part fix the daf last night, most air leaks sorted, the stalwart was recovered and will be welded and fitted with new geny pulley and have her brake fixed ready for the drive to the museum...the CET will be sorted this weekend...and then its get to work on the M62 to get her road ready for the drive to ALton...she was left with all her wires cut and they have to be reconnected...a two man job...but it will be the next task...plus I want to get the 434 and the fug and BRDM moved in the next two weeks.

JCB needs to be moved back to the main site, to level off the land so i can lay down some hard core and a few concrete pads.

I have all the tents already and yes a shed would be better long term but that needs planning and that is not easy in the UK...that will take time, plan is to open under canvas and then apply for sheds...but eventually to go underground with the museum...thats a big investment.

okay moving the leviathan the Brush electric bomb tug the two munga jeeps and a few more bits today along with an 18 x 48 foot tent...this will be erected as the first tent for the museum...am thinking I will connect a few of the tents in approximately two long runs of around 150 foot each. we will raise them approximately 16 inches using sleepers..this will also form part of the weighing down element of the tents. We will lay a plastic sheet inside to reduce damp and likely lay heavy duty pallets as a walkway....and old carpet for the vehicles to drive on...we will give it a go and see how we get on...if only I could get a big shed up

Leviathan needs a bit of work and is not an easy vehicle to move, need to get it back up and running...brush has a flat tyre and the other bits and pieces are all in the way so relocation wont happen today...next week we will get it done..

Leviathan needs a bit of work and is not an easy vehicle to move, need to get it back up and running...brush has a flat tyre and the other bits and pieces are all in the way so relocation wont happen today...next week we will get it done..

Good to see some photos of it coming together when you can 👍

Jay is turning out to be an absolute star, super fast efficient and tidy,,,thank you jay. I am really keen to start getting prepped with the tents and things but i need the foden running to move some of the exhibits, hopefully Friday...then i am going to move the brush and the leviathon and get onto moving the first of the tents...have a lot to do as each tent will be lifted on sleepers lined and covered and a damp proof layer put down finally with carpet to walk on and to keep some heat in the whole affair..excited..

could do with more volutneers right now we have two coming regularly but are short of at least 50 more...any help is great putting up tents moving stuff cleaning and tidying parts ordering stuff into shlves with those for display and those for spares etc etc...

dont be shy whatever you can do will be helpful, and you can play with the toys as well...

• 1 month later...

Volunteers out in the rain on Saturday and our first overnighter, the vans are not really ready yet but I will plumb in water and some form of power over Christmas and I will build a little rest area and dry place to just chill so that when people come over the weekend they can have a nice place to relax when not getting filthy dirty or plain soaked...will install a log fire too so that people can be cosy warm...loads to do...the list is virtually endless but keeping the Helpers happy and warm has to be a top priority because without the guys the museum will never happen...

the MTLB started first time but one of the zils unusally would not start, very unusual, the starter is not firing so either a wire is broken or disconnected as the relay clicks and there is no battery drain at all...ie the ignition light does not flicker as it should do...more work to sort...these vehicles are slowly suffering being out in the wet all the time...

anyone free over Christmas week is most welcome...

we have sleeping areas in the vans, they have to be leveled and water plumbed in but I have the gear just need to find the time...then want to install a shower and toilet block for people to use...power is coming just awaiting SSE to give me a price...

Foden GS number 2 air leak sorted was one of the chambers releasing air via the service brake to exhaust the whole tank in a few seconds once the handbrake was released...all sorted, well we foiund the dodgy chamber and just got to finish fitting and she will be on the road...then i will be moving the 434 and getting her upto the museum, once the pump is fitted, then we get to work on fixing the M62 Wrecker and move more of the machines...its all starting to move along very nicely...

need to lay some hardcore at the museum site as it has turned into a complete bog...awful...

• 4 weeks later...

Paul I presume the museum is also down in Hampshire? Are you doing an open weekend type thing before the official opening day or anything like that? Would be a good laugh to drive down in the MVs with a few mates for a look round. A lot of effort being put in here, keep up the good work!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes I have been very quite sorry everyone, but very busy. I have a new planning adviser and he has already uncovered some marvellous information. So we had a good look through planning regs and we have a policy in our favour. Under policy number s16, or something like that Museum applications have to be supported in principle. So I have decided to wait a bit longer and apply for the full museum application.

This means the underground bunker and everything else associated with that.

How I fund it will be tough but hopefully I can build it in three phases, phase 1 is the lower floor with basic access, this will allow some vehicles and some material to be put inside, I will include in the plans a 12,000 square foot barn for the rest of the museum items. it will be 2 story so around 24,000 square feet. (the hope being that even though temporary in the future it will stay as more space for offices and museum staff and stuff like that. Phase 2/3 will be the remaining 2 floors of the bunker and the final re-covering of it so that it is underground.

The underground bunker will be a total of 5 floors, 2 deep in the bed rock (chalk) each floor of just 3000 square feet, then the main floors each of 20,000 square feet. That's around 1 million pounds worth of concrete. plus rebar and labour. so I need a few bob to do this. It may take a while if I cannot get any investors involved or if I have to sell my business or I have to use profits from my business and take a whopping great loan.

Its all doable, and I am looking for serious investors and/or people who want to be part of the museum and help me build it. This is going to be a life long project.

And I think the cold war is still in progress...so I will need even more material going forward...wonder if a 36,000 square foot bunker is big enough. I have loads of plans but for now i will keep those secret as it will spoil the opening event and the first visitors. it may be a while yet but if I can get the barn up before the end of this year then we will partially open next year.

here's hoping..

anyone interested in buying shares...may try crowd funding...begging on the street seems profitable...?? I am very excited by it all...

Edited by paulob1

yes I would be open to any cash/funding, however I would prefer to get the museum trust team together first to make sure all money invested is handled properly and fairly. This museum is my passion but I know many many of you also have similar passions. I am hoping that in the next five years I will be retired and investing all my spare cash and time into the museum...i hope to attract lottery funding at some stage...but who knows...fund raising is a game in itself...

so in line with the plans I am looking for people interested in helping me run the museum trust. I think I will likely need around 4-5 additional people to help me get things going. Is anyone interested...I have likely one member interested but looking for more...

the ideal candidates are those with knowledge of a few of these, era, the machines, the army, the government etc etc, or maybe has a passion for the cold war itself, or has loads of money and wants to invest it into a great cause...or has machines that he wants to store and show in the museum that are applicable, or he has a lot of time on his hands and wants to be part of something new and exciting...

its not going to be easy but i hope you can all see my determination is undying, I have been planning it for many years, i have my ideas but now its time to get it going....I am on the road...i have the land I have policy and I think I can get some form of planning and maybe even temporary buildings in place...we could be running proper next year...

PM me all you millionaire ex army engineers...