Clansman HF Vehicle Antenna

andym

I'm sure someone on here will know (probably Iain!) - if I'm putting a 3m HF antenna on a vehicle, does it use two of the normal bottom rods and one top, or something different entirely? And yes, I know it's a subtly different base to the usual VHF one.

Andy

Andy

I'm not sure what the "official" configuration is (Alien may be able to advise?) - I think the top 2 have to be a middle and top and you can then put 1 or 2 bottom sections below it for 3 or 4m - you could probably improvise 3 bottom sections in line for a 3m antenna in a static station where the extra top weight and wind resistance are less of an issue

Regards

Iain

Edited by g0ozs
change or for and

I'm sure someone on here will know (probably Iain!) - if I'm putting a 3m HF antenna on a vehicle, does it use two of the normal bottom rods and one top, or something different entirely? And yes, I know it's a subtly different base to the usual VHF one.

Andy

I have some centre sections that I am taking to the Dallas Dig Out tomorrow, I had them for a FFR Land Rover, there are 2 different lengths, 1 metre for the rear antenna mounts and 1.25 meters for the front mounts. If you're going look me out.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I've got two sets of HF rods that came bagged as sets and without going to check, I think it's 2 bottom and one top.

I will check tomorrow if someone else (Iain?) doesn't come in with a definitive.

Regards

Bob

Thanks Bob. There's an earlier thread here on HMVF that gives NSNs for the three sections, but I think it has the bottom and middle ones swapped.

Andy

Andy,

Middle section for HF is (630-8456) used as bottom section with top section 630-8457 (subsequently superseded by 649-8410 ) for 2 section VHF sets, bottom section for HF is 630-8455. Double up on middle section 8456 for 4m HF whip.

I think this is right.

Regards

Bob

Thanks Bob, on investigation I think the top section is actually 649-8140. The confusion is whether a 4m HF antenna uses two middle sections or two bottom sections, there seems to be a difference of opinion and I can't find an official source of information. I only need 3m at the moment, so one of each section.

Andy

Without going and looking, is it not the case that a top section will only fit into the top of a middle section, which is smaller than the bottom. Therefore you can only use one middle section. So, for a 4m whip you need one top, one middle and two bottoms.

Or four bottoms. or three bottoms and a middle.

Gordon

03BB33

Thanks Bob, on investigation I think the top section is actually 649-8140. The confusion is whether a 4m HF antenna uses two middle sections or two bottom sections, there seems to be a difference of opinion and I can't find an official source of information. I only need 3m at the moment, so one of each section.

Andy

Andy,

The 4m is 2 bottom, 1 middle and 1 top, that's what came in my sealed poly bags.

This is the 3m fitted to my FFR Lwt;

19 HF 27 HF 3m tie down.JPG

19 HF 27 HF antenna mount.jpg

19 HF 27 HF 3m antenna.JPG

Edited by Bob042
Incorrect info given

Hi Andy,

Apologies, in my post above I gave you the wrong info :embarrassed:,

4m is 1 top, 1 middle, 2 bottom, see pic of the complete set, I have amended the incorrect post to avoid any confusion.

P1000897.jpg

Regards

Bob

Edited by Bob042