CET fuel problems.

paulob1

so we have been having one or two issues with the old girl..we turn up she fires up lovely and runs for a few minutes drives okay and all is fine, then she starts to run rough with limited power. suspicion is fuel supply...we fill her up and she runs fine for a few minutes then starts to run rough. we suspect the fuel filters blocked or getting blocked but finding the thing isn't easy and my manuals are in the other office...

so can anyone enlighten me as to where the fuel filter should be...is it the filter on the rear bulkhead where the batteries and hydraulic pumps reside...we are hoping it is as its a pig to get to but manageable but we don't want to take it off if it isnt,

Likely to be the electric fuel pump, will start and idle without it running but as soon as there is any fuel demand you will lose power and engine will start to miss.

Can you hear electric fuel pump ticking when you turn on the battery isolator ? Remember there is a switch on top of road drivers dashboard to turn OFF the electric fuel pump. Same fuel pump as 430 series. It is located on bulkhead between transmission bay and engine bay. Pipework is in transmission bay, pump motor is in engine bay. Check electrical connector has not worked lose. A good indication to check it is working is to open the fuel filler and listen for fuel return running into tank, alternatively fuel return pipe is very accessible on top of the second fuel tank when you lift the transmission bay cover.

hi john, do you think its the pump as it does run fine for about 10 minutes but then starts to run rough and keeps running rough...we will check the pump but it seems odd that it literally runs fine then starts to run rough...

Sounds like fuel a supply problem, If it runs O.K. and starts to run rough when you want some power there is not enough fuel pressure or flow, Filters are the usual suspects. I always start with the least expensive item, clean and change. If you have a manual check to find all of the filters. Regards John. Sorry I meant to say even if it turns out to be a pump fault this work still needs to be done, as restricted fuel supply can damage a new pump.

Edited by john1950
Additions

hi john, do you think its the pump as it does run fine for about 10 minutes but then starts to run rough and keeps running rough...we will check the pump but it seems odd that it literally runs fine then starts to run rough...

Can you hear the pump ticking with power on but engine not running ? In a relatively quiet surrounding you can hear it especially if you open the flooding valve between driving compartment and engine bay. I have had one which when the vehicle was cold the pump ran perfectly after driving for about 15 minutes the pump would stop, let it cool for a couple of hours then the pump operated again.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay we have the problem, just got t sort it now. the main switch panel is corroded and is making intermittent connections for the charging panel and the fuel pump..so as the batteries slowly loose their charge the fuel pump gets less and less power until it stops...then the truck stops...

no idea where it is corroded but hopefully we will have a play and a spray with wd 40 and see how we go...

• 1 month later...

still no joy with the CET, runs for a few minutes okay then rough as a dog, and slowly kills the battery so likely we have two problems, blocked fuel filters, we will change the main filter this week, and then we still have the charging circuit dead as a dodo, so it slowly kills the batteries until the pump stops. and the cet stops...what a real pain...

I can understand why the army hated the things...i am slowly sorting the things but I am sure water is getting in where it should not...will get her covered and see if that helps...

Anyone got any helpful ideas...