What to attend?

dgrev

Hello all,

Myself and family are thinking about visiting the UK in the June/July/early August period in

2017, roughly 5 weeks duration.

It has been over 15 years since we were last on that side of the world and doubtless much

has changed in the MV world besides Brexit, Rexit and the value of the UK Pound!

Back then, Beltring was the ultimate experience and was hog heaven for an MV collector.

With the W&P move to Folkestone and the new management, from what I have been reading

online, it is a very different event now.

(That's an Aussie attempt at British understatement........)

Mainly I am an armour person, it was that part of the hobby and the parts stalls that captivated

me: I have read that the modern event is sorely lacking in both those areas?

New Beltring back at the Hop Farm seems too recent and small to be considered?

Having said all of the above, I am looking for suggestions as to what events I should be

considering?

I did Normandy 1999 which was excellent, the atmosphere, the collective bon homme of

the mix of nationalities attending was memorable. But that was a 5 year "additive" event,

ie, 1944 +5 and so on. 2017 will not be a 5 year anniversary, so will that mean a "quiet"

rally style turnout or have things changed and any year is now a big event? Not being

an additive anniversary also should mean no Presidents, Royalty or associated VIPs and thus

no security lockdown wholly and soley for their benefit?

So, in summary: schedule our trip to arrive at beginning of June and "do" Normandy and

whatever shows are on in the June early July time period, which

will mean missing out on W&P. Or miss Normandy and "do" W&P and whatever shows

are on late June to late July very early August?

Or would we be better off looking to events on the continent such as

"Tanks in Town" in Mons (which is way too late for us to attend), are

there others that I should consider?

What shows are worth pivoting our holiday around?

Opinions please?

Thanks

Doug

Doug if you are into armour then I think Bovington's Tankfest in June is a must. It has developed into a comprehensive & professional display of armour that is always a sell out. It is quite a development from the old Battle Day event (although personally I preferred the informality of the earlier events)

Clive

Thanks for the reply. I had forgotten Tankfest is in the summer

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Tankfest very much a case of - stand behind the barriers, watch everything thunder around, but no interaction with the vehicles - more like a display than a hands on access event/show?

I just looked up the entry price, glad I was sitting down.

£110.00 per person per day x family of 4 - converted to Aussie$ = $712 ouch!

Equivalent to 6 days car hire in UK.

Having said that, I would still be visiting Bovvy, just don't know that doing it with 10,000s or so of my fellow enthusiasts is the best option?

I never got to see a Battle Day, but did get to see the Live Day, the primordial roar of a Chieftain in the flesh is certainly

memorable and they only charged a couple of £ per car entry (or they did back in 1999)! Doubtless things have also changed at Bovvy in 15 years......, no Chatty, no David.

Regards

Doug

Doug if you are into armour then I think Bovington's Tankfest in June is a must. It has developed into a comprehensive & professional display of armour that is always a sell out. It is quite a development from the old Battle Day event (although personally I preferred the informality of the earlier events)
Edited by dgrev

Tankfest is very much a case of stand behind the barriers, watch everything thunder around but where else would you see this stuff, as the Tiger isn't going to be on show anywhere else!

However there are other exhibits for you to walk around plus all the other invited guests with their MVs and living history.

THe museum though is great so I'd go

Doug I don't actually watch the arena display, I find access to view the reserve collection up close is of more interest to me. But most of the arena vehicles (preserved or in-service) can be viewed up close during certain periods. I take a vehicle to display & find that the public IQ is pretty high compared to the average vehicle/steam show, I suppose the entry fee is something of a filter.

Clive

Is the reserve collection the unrestored tanks that years ago were in the building within the workshop fence, left of the gate IIRC? I recall a weird M113 with electro or hydraulic drive. Several prototype MBTs perhaps to do with pre-Challenger, a Stoate or some such thing they only made a couple of that were supposed to replace Ferret but never did. Oddball things that would not interest the average museum attendee, so were relegated to that building and covered in dust, but at least undercover and dry stored.

Please email me direct as I want to discuss a topic direct with you unrelated to this one?

Regards

Doug

Doug I don't actually watch the arena display, I find access to view the reserve collection up close is of more interest to me. But most of the arena vehicles (preserved or in-service) can be viewed up close during certain periods. I take a vehicle to display & find that the public IQ is pretty high compared to the average vehicle/steam show, I suppose the entry fee is something of a filter.
Edited by dgrev

Clive

<snip>

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Tankfest very much a case of - stand behind the barriers, watch everything thunder around, but no interaction with the vehicles - more like a display than a hands on access event/show?

I just looked up the entry price, glad I was sitting down.

£110.00 per person per day x family of 4 - converted to Aussie$ = $712 ouch!

Equivalent to 6 days car hire in UK.

<snip?

To be honest any show involving moving armour (indeed any vehicles) is going to be a 'behind the barrier' deal these days, health & safety and insurance requirements. I'm not sure what interaction you are hoping for, but climbing on tanks is not encouraged much either for the same reasons, though the modern equipment displays at the TM usually permit it, ladders and gantries being provided.

I'm a bit baffled by the prices you quote, the TM website gives £38 per adult for a weekend ticket and £23 per day, the £110 is a premium ticket, which seems a lot (in my opinion) extra for a seat, food and drink and a programme? The premium tickets do not claim to give greater access to the vehicles.

jh

Clive

Please email me direct as I want to discuss a topic direct with you unrelated to this one?

Regards

Doug

email sent, do you now want to edit out your email address from the post to avoid it being harvested?

Edited by fv1609

JH

I was thinking along the likes of Beltring etc, where the display was in the arena, but at all other times you could walk up

to the armour and poke it, end up with grease/dirt/oil from it on your clothes and have a chat with the owner or crew.

As to the price of Tankfest, that was what showed up when I googled it and got a link to a Bovvy webpage. The webpage I got

made no mention of any cheaper price. My reaction was "holy cr.. that is expensive, must discourage many, but if it is sold out

each year, then it won't get cheaper" .

Regards

Doug

To be honest any show involving moving armour (indeed any vehicles) is going to be a 'behind the barrier' deal these days, health & safety and insurance requirements. I'm not sure what interaction you are hoping for, but climbing on tanks is not encouraged much either for the same reasons, though the modern equipment displays at the TM usually permit it, ladders and gantries being provided.

I'm a bit baffled by the prices you quote, the TM website gives £38 per adult for a weekend ticket and £23 per day, the £110 is a premium ticket, which seems a lot (in my opinion) extra for a seat, food and drink and a programme? The premium tickets do not claim to give greater access to the vehicles.

jh

Clive

Good thought, I just went back and did it, thanks.

Not that it will in all likely hood matter. I get inundated with emails from every dodgy SEO provider on the sub-continent as it is.

Oh, and both the T___ and C_____ campaigns, why they are trying to convince an Aussie that the one chance of salvation of

the free world depends on me voting for them is a mystery as last time I looked, you had to be a US citizen to vote in US elections, as to me ponying up a donation to their campaign, being that they are both Squillionaires - not going to happen.

Regards

Doug

email sent, do you now want to edit out your email address from the post to avoid it being harvested?

Is the reserve collection the unrestored tanks that years ago were in the building within the workshop fence, left of the gate IIRC? I recall a weird M113 with electro or hydraulic drive.

Doug,

I think what you thought was a M113 was probably a British vehicle, an Oxford Carrier that had been used as a test vehicle to trial hydraulic drive and steering in AFV's.

regards,

Richard

Richard

Definitely an M113. Original appearance externally, but very evident internally as being a prototype.

Regards

Doug

Doug,

I think what you thought was a M113 was probably a British vehicle, an Oxford Carrier that had been used as a test vehicle to trial hydraulic drive and steering in AFV's.

regards,

Richard