Morris C8 Mk.11 Quad brake lines schematic?

3ipmsnz3

Hi to all. I'm presently building the Mirror Models 1:35th scale Morris C8 Mk.II, and coming close to finishing off the chassis.

Can any of you supply me with a scan of the schematic (or routing) for the brake lines? I like to add all the details I can (within reason) when building a model, and have already added most of the visible nuts/bolts fasteners etc. that are not moulded or provided in the kit.

I do have both of the European produced books dealing with the C8, and other than the obvious lines across the axles, there is little showing of the master cylinder positioning and brake lines!

I'd like to get this completed before painting, and adding the body.

Thanks in advance,

Peter Mossong.

Bloody brilliant Ivor. Thanks for your quick reply. From most photos I had found, I did suspect the lines went along the inside of the right side chassis member. The handbrake cable also makes things a bit clearer..all missing from the kit, including the handbrake actuating assemblies on the rear axle.

I've got two weeks leave coming up at the end of the month, so should be able to get the chassis and engine area completed.

A pity it's not the real thing, but it's all I can afford!

Much appreciated, :tup::

Pete M.

• 2 months later...
Here's the diagram from the workshop manual. The front to back pipe runs on the inside of the chassis frame.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]119370[/ATTACH]

I do have another problem now..I have recently received some photos of the early Mk.II, and it doesn't appear to have hydraulic brakes on the rear wheels! I can see no sign of hydraulic hoses or brake lines. Were they just mechanically operated on these earlier beasties?

Cheers,

Pete M. :help:

No, the brakes were hydraulic on all four wheels on all the 4WD vehicles.

The only vehicles which had an unbraked rear axle were the 6x4s.

Hi Ivor. Thanks for the clarification on that.

P1010045.jpg

This is the photo I mentioned. I can't see any sign of the hydraulic lines on that rear axle! :confused:

The vehicle is the early Mk.II at the Land Warfare hall at Duxford. (Photo via George Moore)

Cheers,

Pete M.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a further question for either Ivor or any of the forum members on the early Morris C8 Mk.II. What is this unit on the L/H upper front chassis rail? Is it a fuel filter, but I can only make out one line running to/from it.

P1010010.jpg

T.I.A, Pete M.

It is a water/oil trap / filter for the tyre inflation compressor. Connect the air line to the fitting at the top. The compressor is on the side of the main gearbox (on most vehicles). Most British WW2 vehicles of 15cwt and above had this system, the filter was usually mounted somewhere near the LH cab door on the chassis or on a handy bracket as on a Bedford MW where it was bolted to the step bracket.

The 1950s FV range usually had a much more involved device with a gauge and a raise/lower the pressure control.

David

Hi David. Thank you sir. Now that's something I hadn't considered, and I also realize now that I'm going to have to build that compressor and add it to the model...most of the kits don't have it.

Luckily I do have photos of it, so a wee bit of fabrication is required.

All the best to the members of the HMVF for the Festive Season.

Pete M. :thanx:

The detail that you are talking about is fantastic - but the mischievous sense of humour in me thinks we could now add almost anything :)

"Don't forget the feather edge to the drivers seat, and the dancing girls, just behind the band!"

Hi Lauren. I can well see 'the feather edge to the drivers seat' might well be there, but as for the dancing girls......naahhhh! :dancinggirls:

When I build a kit, I start with just the basic shell, and try to make it as an accurate miniature of the real thing as I can. Especially in 1:35th scale. Even the Mirror Models and IBG CMP kits are missing that compressor!

Cheers,

Pete M. :beer:

Here's a picture from Martyn Hillyard (he's on the forum) showing the compressor on the side of the gearbox and a drawing from the handbook showing some useful detail including the bit of wire with a loop on the end which is the compressor control. It's labelled as Tyre Pump Hand Control.

Martyn H 19.jpg

C8 C9 Handbook p.05.jpg

Hi Ivor. My thanks once again for some very useful information on the Morris.

I had found several photos of the compressor on the threads here, and that one gives another good perspective of the unit.

As for the cabin interior drawing, I can't say I'm that surprised that the unit was controlled by a piece of wire! I have owned and worked on many Brit cars and motorcycles over the years. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Pete M.

The very early models had the accelarator in the middle position. That can get very exciting at times. :wow: The two unlisted boxes to the right of the driver, just at shoulder level are the batteries, another fun thing for the Euro NCAP score. The top of the engine cover has two brass plates, one is lubrication, can't remember the other now. Long time since I drove one. (And I don't miss it!)

Edited by Tony B