• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember those Land Rovers going to NI having glass fibre protection on the floor, it had underbelly and sheets under the wheel arches, maybe this was to do with other locations of service, although you say not armour.

ah beaten to it, I was going to say Rhodesia as I think some went out there.

I don't remember those Land Rovers going to NI having glass fibre protection on the floor, it had underbelly and sheets under the wheel arches, maybe this was to do with other locations of service, although you say not armour.

Not specifically NI Richard, although I think the date is significant but this is not GRP though

If the handbrake knob had been shown, I'd have got it first time easy....

Don't want to make it too easy Bernard do we?

I did wrestled with whether to show the dip switch or not. Most youngsters wouldn't recognise what it was & the old uns would say it was confusing as the dip switch is way off position.

Thanks Clive for a really interesting puzzle. I had thought of Landrover as being a possibility and discounted the idea because no matter which way I worked the plan, I couldn't make it fit. No sandbags in our landy at the farm when I was a kid! Fatigue and my wife finally got me and had to go to bed... Cheers Robert

Robert thank you, glad you enjoyed it. Several posters were on the trail & I thought it would be 'game over' quite quickly but often the basic things get missed & more complicated & ingenious ideas get put forward.

Many may have thought that chucking a few sandbags on the floor for mine protection might have been a fairly ad hoc arrangement, but no the Army have a prescribed set of requirements & as we have seen on another MO that even extends to notice boards.

if i remember correct...

my friend said in the -80s that

they had Landrovers + sandbags on the floor in Lebanon (Finnish Un forces)

now mystery solved...:)

pekka

Pekka I hope these sandbags were laid out in a prescribed fashion. I wonder if they were the same as the British Army but I don't even know if Finnish sandbags are even the same size!

Clive

i think that the sand bags were derived from UN stocks, and could be the same as British

in here Landrovers were not used on a large scale, but our UN troops had them

off the topic :

later in here , for example some MP units had Defenders but they were not so popular

.. the cabin is cold in the winter they said

and pedals area is very cramped ?

especially if you use gumboot with felt insulation ...Defender was not originally designed for LHD ?

i do not have any experience on them , in our depot MP had only Toyotas and VWs and GAZ/UAZ models

pekka

• 2 months later...
Were the rear compartments also sandbagged?

Yes on the floor & on the seats. This 1971 RAC publication is the only place I can see any reference to using this protection.

There are pictures around of stripped down SWB Land Rovers in NI with sandbags on the floor, but not actually on the seats.

NITAT literature & the Land Operations series make no mention of the practice. Although stripped down Land Rovers are suggested for ease of disembarking, good visibility although the vulnerability had the effect of keeping the crew alert. Land Operations - Counter Revolutionary Operations were based mainly on experiences from Aden & Palestine, there were issued in 1969 & updated in 1970 & 1973 for NI. Not well proof read as for example we have a Shorland called a Shortland captioning a picture of a Mk 1 Pig & the "Shortland" is then illustrated with a picture of a Pig.

Yes you are right, I have that book as well, it is silly mistake as the original promotional literature some 3 years earlier was using the name Shorland.

It is strange as RE Smith was a most knowledgeable writer & a prolific photographer of the 1960s-70s at arms shows & official events leaving a valuable photographic legacy of British Army vehicles that were in service, about to go into service or didn't quite make it into service.

I always delight in seeing his photos illustrating vehicles of the time in their intended roles.